Dashboard removal

Tomas

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Åland Islands (Baltic Sea Hawaii), FINLAND
Hello Everyone

Today I started to reach the module on my 96 GTS with all warning lights from under steering wheel with no success. I try to see why the check engine light never light up at start?? Do I have to take off the dash board to reach the light module? If so how to take the dashboard off? Or anyone have any other ideas why the check engine light never lights up?

rgds

Tomas

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Do I have to take off the dash board to reach the light module? If so how to take the dashboard off? Or anyone have any other ideas why the check engine light never lights up?
Sounds like a burned-out bulb. Replacement isn't that difficult, but you do have to pull the dash facia off, as far as I know.

Dash facia removal is fairly straightforward, but will take from 30 to 60 minutes: remove the screws for the kick panels and pull them off, pull the center bezel off (it snaps off, but be careful to not mark the upper dash with the underside of the bezel), remove the four screws holding the center console cover in place (one on each side of the console almost behind the seats) and just slide the center console cover back far enough to expose the screws on the dash. Remove the screws across the bottom edge of the upper dash and remove the headlight knob. Headlight knob removal is easy, but you have to know how: for Gen I, reach up above the headlight switch body and press the button on the top to release the knob and shaft from the switch body; for Gen II, straighten a paper clip and insert into the hole on the bottom of the external knob and remove the knob. For Gen II, you also have to reach beside the stereo head unit to disconnect the wiring hardness to the dimmer and, for later Gen II, also disconnect the electric rearview mirror switch harness. I don't immediately recall if you need to disconnect the passenger airbag disable swtich, but you might as well pull the fuses for the airbags before working near the disable switch, just to be paranoid. Now, just carefully unsnap the upper edge of the upper dash from the back of the dash, and remove. Hardest part of removing the dash facia is getting it out past the steering wheel and windshield once it is completely disconnected.

Once the dash cover is off, finding and replacing a burned out bulb in the idiot-light area should be fairly trivial.