Date the Last 1997 Viper was built! July??

Red Devil

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Born on date for my 1997 GTS was Thrs July 10 7am. I thought July was the month the car factories changed over the model years. IT would seem I have one of the last made 1997 GTSs. How many have a later build date on here?

OP
OP
R

Red Devil

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, so no one knows when their car was built?? I know I have near the last 97 built.Someone has a later date. Check your door lables for your Born on date. There should be some other July dates out there.

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure they kept building them until later in the year. Mine was born in early June, and it has a very low VIN. I know VIN isn't directly related to build date, but in '97 there was a better correlation since there weren't so many color options. This isn't for-sure, but I think they kept building them until October that year. What's your VIN?

Glen97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I cant tell you what the date on the door right now because I'm in American Samoa but there is a date on my motor on the right hand side of the block. Dated OCT 1997

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The Born on date for my 1997 GTS was Thrs July 10 7am. I thought July was the month the car factories changed over the model years. IT would seem I have one of the last made 1997 GTSs. How many have a later build date on here?

What makes you think you have a late-build? Your premise about MY changeover does not apply across the board to Vipers

crazyspeed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 1997 GTS and the MDH is 12/12/12. Back then the Viper was still changed over on the calender year..not in Aug .
The MDH sticker is on the driver door jamb. ( month/day/hour)
I would assume that if they were getting ready to change over to the 1998 models in Dec. I probably have the very last 1997..or very close to it :lmao: couple more days and mine would have been a 1998;)

OP
OP
R

Red Devil

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmm So maybe they changed over in DEC not July. IF someone has a born on date of 12 1997 then it must have been Dec when they changed over.Anymore DEC 1997 out there?Sure it was not 1996??

OP
OP
R

Red Devil

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon B that is why Im asking the question. GM changes over model years in July to the next model year. I thought if Dodge also changed over in July then I would have one of the last since I have a born on date of July 10. But it appears that dodge may have not changed over in July so so much for that idea. Strange that you could buy a 1997 viper in DEC of 1997 though. I gues there were just not that many changes to deal with so they made them right up to 1998.

OP
OP
R

Red Devil

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Would that make it more valuable or "special" ?

Nope.

To you NOPE!, To me and maybe someone else YEP!!Later car you have the less problems you should have with it also!!
Someone out there knows for sure when they changed over. Hard to believe they made them through DEC 97.

Vman455

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Fewer problems," not "less problems." And that usually applies over the life of a model, not just one year, as kinks are worked out.

OP
OP
R

Red Devil

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fewer or less.lol ok. I still would rather have a later built car IF I had the choice. Its pure luck most of the time to get a early or later made car. Still does not mean problems could pop up with either one. THe Factory corrects problems as the year goes by.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
....Jon B that is why Im asking the question. GM changes over model years in July to the next model year......

Hmm So maybe they changed over in DEC not July. IF someone has a born on date of 12 1997 then it must have been Dec when they changed over.Anymore DEC 1997 out there?Sure it was not 1996??

-Special- To you NOPE!, To me and maybe someone else YEP!!Later car you have the less problems you should have with it also!! Someone out there knows for sure when they changed over. Hard to believe they made them through DEC 97.

Fewer or less.lol ok. I still would rather have a later built car IF I had the choice. Its pure luck most of the time to get a early or later made car. Still does not mean problems could pop up with either one. THe Factory corrects problems as the year goes by.

No MAYBE about it.... and NO WAY it was a 1996 ! [Some of us out here DO know....despite the GM trivia..]

The UAW contract called for a holiday break 12/13/97 - 1/5/98. The last 8-10 1997 cars that began frame-up were likely on 12/12/97, which would be the LAST MDH-label for 1997 MY cars. CRAZYSPEED likely has a last-day car! {add $500.}

The vin sequences 1997 are buggered due to PROWLER production was also occurring simultaneously, further confusing 1997 vin sequences.

If you have a July 10 MDH, it was immediatly AFTER the UAW July-4 Holiday break, and they were all hung-over then. TERRIBLE BUILD DATE, deduct $10,000.
>
>
>

{just kidding}

Last edited:

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
..I guess I can understand why people say strange things but they still cant answer my question....lol...

??????????

Didn't JonB provide the answer you are looking for? :dunno:

WHAT ANSWER WOULD YOU LIKE to hear? I promptly gave you the TRUTH for free. If you'ld like some other, false answer it's yours for $10. Just Fill in the blank:

"The answer I'm wanting to hear is _____________________________"

ie......For $10 Ill tell you (falsely) that you have the LAST 97 VIPER BUILT !

Another FREE FACT: If the 97 GTS Viper is BLUE its worth more than RED...regardless of build date. Possible Exception: GOLD PACKAGE...

Last edited:

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just go with JonB's answer and be done with it. Sounds like a good enough answer to me and who cares what anyone else thinks. It's not a big enough deal, so that anyone has ever cared to look into it, to such detail. If anyone is making a big deal about your car, tell them to go do the research themselves. It's just a car.... not that big of a deal.

The main concern is weather your Gen II had forged pistons or not. It does, so you are good to go.

Sweet Ride

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I just had to know when my build date was.

Wait for it...

Drum roll...

03/97!!!

I guess I have one of the last first quarter 1997 Vipers built! (Add $1000)

As a bonus, they painted it red to make it faster than all the rest. :D

As to the OP's question about build dates... Large scale mass market vehicles are generally changed over in the July through September period. Since the Viper had few changes from 96-97 I would assume that they kept 'em rolling down the line as long as they possibly could.

OP
OP
R

Red Devil

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You could be correct. But you know its funny how no one can answer this question.lol I thought it would be an easy answer.

OP
OP
R

Red Devil

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why is JonB being such a **** about it though?? This person runs a business?? Jesus people I will find out somewhere else.lol Sorry to upset your world.lol

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You could be correct. But you know its funny how no one can answer this question.lol I thought it would be an easy answer.

Why is JonB being such a **** about it though?? This person runs a business?? Jesus people I will find out somewhere else.lol Sorry to upset your world.lol

PROBABLY BECAUSE NOBODY CARES...... BE DONE WITH IT! JonB is a great guy, but you are acting like a viper no0b and it's probably frustrating to him when he answers your question and you act like he didn't. It's just a friggin car! You wanna know when your gas you just put in your car came from the refinery too?

OP
OP
R

Red Devil

Enthusiast
Reaction score
??????????

WHAT ANSWER WOULD YOU LIKE to hear? I promptly gave you the TRUTH for free. If you'ld like some other, false answer it's yours for $10. Just Fill in the blank:

"The answer I'm wanting to hear is _____________________________"

ie......For $10 Ill tell you (falsely) that you have the LAST 97 VIPER BUILT !

Another FREE FACT: If the 97 GTS Viper is BLUE its worth more than RED...regardless of build date. Possible Exception: GOLD PACKAGE...

Since your being so nice. Here is a FREE FACT. When I need parts guess where im NOT going to get them.

my viper

enthusiast
Reaction score

Good, please get your answer someplace else. I see you asked this at the alley too. Hope you get what you are looking for there.

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IT seems some people have been on this site waaaay too long. Take things waaaaaaay too serious.

Sometimes it's just people being people, and things that are written to be amusing that get taken out of context. Like any other circle of friends, after a while you get used to everyone's personality and you just roll with it.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i checked with my friend at dodge this morning for ya. cause im that kinda guy.... he said in fact yours was the second to last one built but the last one was wrecked making your even MORE valuable. said that dodge may even wanna put your car in the museum for all to see. congrats, im jealous.

you really are a lucky guy !

BlackSnake99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i checked with my friend at dodge this morning for ya. cause im that kinda guy.... he said in fact yours was the second to last one built but the last one was wrecked making your even MORE valuable. said that dodge may even wanna put your car in the museum for all to see. congrats, im jealous.

you really are a lucky guy !

I think that mine really is the last '97. It was built June 11, 1999. They keep calling it a '99, but I refuse to believe them.