DC Finally has its Corvette

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As much as i hate to admit. DC has finally built a car that will rival the looks of the corvette. This new era of the Snake does not match it's isingina (spelling). Is the new SRT/10 really
what we expect from Dodge Different? Is this what DC really wanted? A Viper for the Masses? Yes it will boast the triple 5's.
I would rather have the older ratings with an agressive body syle.

ViperRon

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you only like the way the new Viper looks from the rear you will be OK because that's the only thing you are going to see once that bad boy gets on the road

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hemi,

You'd rather have the looks of the current car even if it had less performance than the SRT?

Uhh... you can get that TODAY by buying a GTS or RT/10! I don't see the issue!

Is the issue that you would want to buy a new one several years from now? Well buy it now and save it. Is the issue that you just don't want a faster car to be out there that you don't like? I don't get the problem at all.

Venom,

Numbers are one thing - how the car actually performs is another thing entirely
smile.gif
. Who would guess that the LT-1 Corvette would be so much quicker with "only" 50hp more? Or that the C5 would so outperform the C4 with "only" 45hp over an LT-1? But they do! This time we're getting 75hp, lighter weight, and a new frams/suspension, etc. I predict this new car will be a stunning performer!

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mako,

I don't work for Dodge, so I can't say I know anything official. I HAVE "worked" all the folks I know for info on the SRT. What I have *heard* (from folks who I trust to have genuine information) is that the SRT has been easily making 525hp in testing. I've also heard that a very restrictive exhaust system is being used on the car which limits the HP rather severely.

Don't forget that numbers never tell the whole story, because we can never take all the variables into account. The GTS is "only" 50hp more than the early RT's, but it runs a good .7-.8 and 7-8mph faster in the 1/4 mile. Yeah, there are old RT's in the low 12's, but there's also GTS's in the mid 11's. Likewise, the Z06 was "only" 35hp more than the C5 in '01, but it was a good .7-.8 second quicker in 1/4 acceleration.

The SRT is a totally new car... new chassis, new body, new engine, new suspension, new tires, new interior, new everything. It's not a reworking of an earlier design, it's a new design. Who would have guessed the Z06 would be so much quicker than the C5 with only 35hp more? Who would have guessed the GTS would so outperform an old RT with only 50hp more? We're talking a good 50 or 75hp (depending on which #'s you believe) and 100-200lbs less weight (we'll see when it rolls out). I am thinking that we will get a TON of performance - more than the numbers would suggest. I've already heard the #'s were alot better than expected. I'm expecting we'll see SRT's will run 11.8's at 123 stock, just like most GTS's run 12.2's at 118. I bet some of the better drivers will get 11.3's or better at 125mph, just like better drivers get 11.6's and 120 trap speeds in GTS's.

Venom Lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mike Brunton:

Venom,

Numbers are one thing - how the car actually performs is another thing entirely
smile.gif
. Who would guess that the LT-1 Corvette would be so much quicker with "only" 50hp more? Or that the C5 would so outperform the C4 with "only" 45hp over an LT-1? But they do! This time we're getting 75hp, lighter weight, and a new frams/suspension, etc. I predict this new car will be a stunning performer!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Was that a pre-emptive strike? I didn't even respond to this thread yet!

You know, I really hope the SRT comes out rated at 525 bhp and is as underrated as the '97s relative to their 450 bhp rating. In that case, we will see 75 fwhp, or about 65 rwhp. But if you're saying the SRT has been making 525 fwhp "in testing", then they can't rate the car at 525. They'll have to rate it around 510 bhp to avoid a '99 Cobra-like debacle. (I.e., the intelligent manufacturer will make sure the rating is conservative).

So, if the SRT makes 525 fwhp in testing, and my '01 dynos at 415 rwhp stock, which is nearly 480 fwhp, then maybe the difference is 45-50 fwhp, or 40-45 rwhp.

But I agree, even with those numbers, the car could be a full half second quicker in the 1/4, which is substantial.

We shall see!

Venom Lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JMcGuire:
laugh.gif

You have to understand Mike's been without a Viper for quite some time.

It weakens the mind.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think it's a form of discrimination, Jon. He thinks all yellow Viper guys look (and sound) alike! ;-)

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HEMIDAYTNA:
As much as i hate to admit. DC has finally built a car that will rival the looks of the corvette. This new era of the Snake does not match it's isingina (spelling). Is the new SRT/10 really
what we expect from Dodge Different? Is this what DC really wanted? A Viper for the Masses? Yes it will boast the triple 5's.
I would rather have the older ratings with an agressive body syle.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree 110%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And <u>believe it or not</u>..they're a lot of others who feel this way.

I Ben Therbefor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Design-wise, it's a mixed bag," said Roy Sjoberg. "I think you will get a different customer with that styling, more of a Corvette customer than the original Viper owner. It is certainly true to the Viper general looks, and is a very pleasent evolution; but it is not bodacious, which the original Viper was."
Dodge Viper
by Daniel F Carney
pg 147
"more of a Corvette customer than the original Viper owner"

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Venom,

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Those yellow Vipers all look alike!
smile.gif
I saw Jon's car and I read talk of the numbers and I guess I slipped and typed your name - think of it as a compliment that you're a #'s guy!

Mark,

I try to hide my shame as much as I can
smile.gif
I haven't been tooling around in the car though - it's in the garage getting major surgery. I'm TTing the car - should have about 1,000hp at the rear wheels when I'm done - and would almost certainly lay the smack down to most other cars (including Vipers) - even the highly modified ones. BUT... it still ain't a Viper!

Venom Lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mike Brunton:
...I'm TTing the car - should have about 1,000hp at the rear wheels when I'm done....

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Smokin'!!!!!!!!

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mark,

You'll have to bolt on a pretty big blower! The turbos I'm using have the capability to flow enough air, and the motor will rev high enough to make upwards of 1,600hp... but on sane boost levels, 1,200hp on race gas at the track is OK with me. It's essentially copy of John Meaney's car - which makes about 1,300hp.

Like I said though, it's still no Viper. It can be fast as hell, but it's still got a horrible chassis, no warranty, and is an "old" car. But it will be fun at the track!

Venom,

The car I am "copying" runs the 1/4 on street tires in the mid-high 10's but the MPH is... get this... 165mph. It spins most of the way down the track, but when it hooks around the 1/8th mile, it covers the last half of the 1/4 in 3 seconds flat. I've got a GM 4L80E tranny and a Dana44 going in (had to cut up the floor and re-glass it to get the tranny to fit) - so it will be an automatic with overdrive that can be street driven to work and have the boost cranked at the strip and lay down some good #'s! I wanna run Treynor, Gerald, ScottP and Tom Welch
smile.gif
I'm hoping it will be done in time for the drag event at VOI... wonder if they'd let the "enemy" into the camp.