De-Flowered at the Drag Strip

BigsViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After reading many of the posts and 1/4 mile times here I am almost embarrassed to make this post, but I have plenty of excuses for my crappy times. Plus I had fun and will do better at a better track next week.

I have raced plenty of times on a.....private, closed track.... but never on a Drag Strip with the christmas tree and the whole deal. Several of the local car clubs came together and put on a session at West Texas Raceway Park last night; Over 140 cars and loads of people (well over 1000, not bad for 'neckville).

One guy had a full blown funny car and ended up totally demolishing it, almost flipping it over the guardrail end over end and finally spinning on it's roof down the track in pieces.
eek.gif
Driver was uninjured. I think there were four alcohol rail jobs, fastest was an 8.08 (so you'll know I'm not just whining when I say the conditions were crappy). Lots of fast street cars and built and trailered racers. Lots of fun, carnival atmosphere.

I was able to make four passes (too many cars, too long in the staging lanes) and my best was a 13.48/107.81 with my 140 pound son in the car. High points include a .5095 reaction time (redlighted the time before at .4807), but I spun a lot after the launch even though the car didn't buck or kick out, and my 60' time was a puke-ish 2.209. My coaches performair said the corrected altitude was around 4,000'. An old Studebaker Hawk had blown a hose and spewed coolant all down the left lane where I made all but one pass, and the wrecked funny car was in the right lane.

Many thanks to Paul Bilberry and the 8-Liter Vette Eater and Lynn who provided me much info and feedback, and to TexasLegend, who was kind enough to give the crowd a show and allow me to win the battle of the creampuffs.

There is another thread in this section regarding the races next weekend. I will be there and hopefully have better results. In the meantime I will celebrating the loss of my 1/4 mile virginity.
smile.gif

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Bigs,

It'll get there! Keep us posted.......

Ironman participation at 170+ excludes this thread from turning into a hackfest regarding your times!
supergrin.gif

Frustrating trying to hook up a Viper when the conditions are not there, agree? Similar to other cars avoiding wheelspin on wet grass..........

Last track run coming up Saturday, hoping for something good with the cold weather up here!!

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad you had a fun time there.

We have all had bad track days where the numbers were low compared to the best (experienced) drag racers, running on good track at low altitudes.

Keep trying, and enjoy yourself!
supergrin.gif

I have yet to get out to the local track because it's a 12hour round trip from here.
frown.gif
But I'm going to go before it rains!

-Dean.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Missjazzyfitness