Deciding on Rim Size 19 or 20?

steponz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What do you guys think??

Is the 19/front 20/rear setup very streetable? and how will it be with a paxton setup
and 3.55's?

Do PS2's coming in 20's?

Or maybe the 18/front 19/rear and lowering a little.....

Maybe even 19/front 19/rear?

Thanks,

Joe

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The PS2 comes in a 20" and hooks up pretty well. Still with a Paxton, traction will be a issue down low. Really depends on what you want. Either way you need to lower it to make it look good. You want the better looks, then go 19/20. If you want more tire choices and a little better traction go 18/19.

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now that PS2 tires are available in 19s, I can't see any reason to buy 20s. Just more weight and rotating mass.

Thums Up

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Agreed with whats been said, but I will be wearing 20" / 22" with a 3:33 rear gear. Some believe bigger wheels make for more rotating mass and weight. That's simply not true. I've owned two sets of 20" rims for my Vipers and both actually weighed less than stock wheels. It really depends on what look are you going after? with 19" / 20" you will have to lower the car so add in the extra expense or it will look good sitting high. With 20" / 22" there will be no reason to lower the car because it will set just right. The trade-off will be road course performance, but not for me because, I'm not trying to go as straight as I can in a circle. My recommendation is to set the car up for how you plan to drive 90% of the time. I run Perrili tires. They are much softer and will hook up much better than PS2s

10:80 in the quarter mile with:
- 20" / 22" Wheels
- 3:33 Rear Gear
- Paxton Supercharger
- No Cats

As for 20" wheels, well I went 11:53 in the quarter with aftermarket wheels. Sound like a car with a weight and rotating mass issue? I think not. Less weight is always the requirement.

OP
OP
S

steponz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Personally I really like the 19/20 inch setup...
And most of these wheels are a lot lighter than the stock ones...

Can you post some pictures to show what a 20/22 setup looks like...

I really want to be able handle pretty well in the back roads...

Would a 18/19 setup make more of a difference than a 19/20 setup????
Anybody who has had both?

Joe

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the pirelli's p-zero rosso's are discontinued in the 345/25/20...they do not hook up better than the PS2, I've used both.

added rotating mass depends on the wheel...with most of the wheels typicaly used on the viper, some are a little heavier some are little lighter...either way you are spillting hairs....though I gotta think those 22's weigh a ton and would definatly have an effect.

Thumbs are you running an SUV tire on your Viper??? p-zero scorpion?

Get the 335/30/20 PS2 if you run go 19/20's they grip fantastic and you'll need all the grip you can get with those 3.55's and a paxton.

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
not a huge difference in handling when playing in the back roads but the stock size is better...

here's a pic of the 20/22 combo
077_77.JPG

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Get the 335/30/20 PS2 if you run go 19/20's they grip fantastic and you'll need all the grip you can get with those 3.55's and a paxton.

Isn't that tire only for a rim from 11' to 12.5" wide?

That tire has a little bigger sidewall height right?

OP
OP
S

steponz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks ILLSMOQ...

I think I am going to do the 19/20...

I also think the .5 bigger would help out with the gears... Wouldn't the speedo be off because of this?

Personally I think that 20/22 setup is way to big... Makes me think ghetto....
Looks like a car that should have spinners....

Are the PS2's hard to find?

Also doesn't Nitto have a good tire?

Thanks,

Joe

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On the rears, I paid 398 each for the PS2, the Nitto Invo is something like $540.00 . Tire rack has the PS2 in stock.

I don't notice the speedo being off but it may be off by a little bit

20/22 reminds me of a scraper

You must be registered for see images

sween

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On the rears, I paid 398 each for the PS2, the Nitto Invo is something like $540.00 . Tire rack has the PS2 in stock.

I don't notice the speedo being off but it may be off by a little bit

20/22 reminds me of a scraper

You must be registered for see images

yaddida YEE :D for the viper i perfer the 19/20 look myself :2tu:

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I personally didn't think the 20/22 combo looked bad. I will be going with the 19/20 combo but that also depends on the tire options...

rblong

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I ordered my wheels a while back and have been looking A LOT at tire options. As stated the Perilli in 345 are backordered for al least three months. PS2 only come in 335. Only other choice is Nitto Invo in 345/25/20 - they are in stock at Discount tire. I will use the 285 on the fronts. Very close to original specs as far as height and width.

Specs show as follows -

PS2 335/30/20 - 13.5 wide 28 tall
Per 345/25/20 - 13.6 wide 26.8 tall
Nit - 345/25/20 - 13.6 wide 26.6 tall

They quoted me $518 rear and $291 front.

rblong

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks - either way - they are not an option at this time is what I meant - discontinued or back ordered.

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Best traction and ride will come from the PS2's. They look good too, nice and meaty, though some think sidewall is too big compared to pirelli. As ILLSMOQ mentioned, the PS2 is as wide as Pirelli, actually looks wider in person.

Thums Up

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Steponz - "GHETTO" educate me. What does that mean???

Wow!!! I didn't know the size of a wheel was based on your demographics. Really does the size of the wheel depend on whether you're from suburbia or not? That's assuming ghetto means (def) = confined life style. I don't know, but waiting to here from Steponz to educate me. This is about pure looks and what one person likes verses another when compared to performance. I buy what I like and what I want and don't care what someone else thinks. Though, I do have a trophy room full of what judges think about what I like. However, I can assure you my decisions are not based on ghetto likes or dislikes. I kind of agree with Ulllose. ;-)

10:80 in the quarter mile on 20/22 ain't nothing to sneeze at. I like to look good while going fast.

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Steponz - "GHETTO" educate me. What does that mean???

Wow!!! I didn't know the size of a wheel was based on your demographics. Really does the size of the wheel depend on whether you're from suburbia or not? That's assuming ghetto means (def) = confined life style. I don't know, but waiting to here from Steponz to educate me. This is about pure looks and what one person likes verses another when compared to performance. I buy what I like and what I want and don't care what someone else thinks. Though, I do have a trophy room full of what judges think about what I like. However, I can assure you my decisions are not based on ghetto likes or dislikes. I kind of agree with Ulllose. ;-)

10:80 in the quarter mile on 20/22 ain't nothing to sneeze at. I like to look good while going fast.

22's look good on a BMW 7 series or a big body car. And a Escalade looks great with 24's or even 26's. But a Viper looks like A$$ on 20/22 setup, that yellow car or any Viper on 22's. There is nothing cool about a Viper on those sizes. I guarantee if you threw back on stock wheels with runflats or any 19/20 setup, you would run quicker 1/4 mile times.

Though i respect you for picking something you like and going for it. Unfortunately you wont get any "That looks great" from 99% of Viper owners.

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think these two descriptions fit just fine.

"when something is jerry-rigged and looks like it was made in ahalf-assed fashion."

"improvised, or home-made (usually with extremely cheap or sub-standard components), yet still deserving of an odd sense of respect from ghetto dwellers and non-ghetto dwellers alike"

OP
OP
S

steponz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wasn't keep'n up with the post... But MikeR nailed it...

On an SUV it looks bad ****.... but on a viper...

Your basically taking the sports car out of the sport car...
Why don't you throw spinners on there also...

If you like it... then you like it.... That doesn't mean I have tooo....

Next time instead of using Ghetto... I'll just use fugly to cause less confusion...

Joe

Thums Up

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Agreed, it's all good.

There's nothing wrong with having an oppinion and one that I respect as a fellow VCA club member. However, the use of words can be taken out of context and might be offensive to some. Personally, I could care less. ;-)

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the bigger effect in handling comes from the side wall, or lack thereof in very low aspect ratio(low profile) tire. The side wall of the tire is an itergral part of the suspension compliance, very few race cars use a very low aspect ratio tire. Look at F!, INDY car, CHAMP car, NASCAR, ect... they all use a high aspect ratio tire, very low profile tires are for fashion and thats it. Also the very low profile tires and wheels are much more susceptable to damage from *** holes and other road hazards.

Also does it bother anyone else that wheels have so commonly become refered to as "rims"? The rim of something would be the edge or outer surface, so wouldnt it be more appropriate to call tires "rims"? Sorry i just dont get the terminology, even the term "shoes" seems like a better analogy.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with you that in most cases these days that "low profile is for fashion" but this is not always the case.

The race cars you listed are just that, race cars. They utilize special track tires with stiffer side wall construction. Generally speaking taller street tires tend to flex when lateral g forces are applied. Now the shorter the profile the less likely it is to flex making reaction and cornering more crisp. If profile was fashion only, i dont think you would see low profile tires on high end sports cars like Ferrari's, Porsches, Vipers etc.

the bigger effect in handling comes from the side wall, or lack thereof in very low aspect ratio(low profile) tire. The side wall of the tire is an itergral part of the suspension compliance, very few race cars use a very low aspect ratio tire. Look at F!, INDY car, CHAMP car, NASCAR, ect... they all use a high aspect ratio tire, very low profile tires are for fashion and thats it. Also the very low profile tires and wheels are much more susceptable to damage from *** holes and other road hazards.

Also does it bother anyone else that wheels have so commonly become refered to as "rims"? The rim of something would be the edge or outer surface, so wouldnt it be more appropriate to call tires "rims"? Sorry i just dont get the terminology, even the term "shoes" seems like a better analogy.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang