Deer VS. '99 GTS

dodgefever

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This could have and should have been a lot worse. The deer jumped from the trees on a twisty 2 lane country road. I was doing about 45 when she jumped from the trees on the passenger side. I took out her legs, she slid up the hood, and slamed into the windshield, spinning her back into the trees. It smashed the headlight and driving light. Pushed the fascia up and back about 3 inches. Cracked the hood in the wheel well lip. Where she hit the windshield, I can see a small crack in the paint at the roof line. The glass did not break. Somehow the A/C vent grill cover has a dent in it, although I don't see any other damage on the hood itself, Just blood and her lunch.

Double click the pics to enlarge.

This is how hard she hit the hood.. it made a dent in the aluminum side cover.

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you get to keep the deer? After it did that your car, you may as well have had a big BBQ - especially since it's already been tenderized... I have some good recipes if you need them :)

cornfish

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This could have and should have been a lot worse. The deer jumped from the trees on a twisty 2 lane country road. I was doing about 45 when she jumped from the trees on the passenger side. I took out her legs, she slid up the hood, and slamed into the windshield, spinning her back into the trees. It smashed the headlight and driving light. Pushed the fascia up and back about 3 inches. Cracked the hood in the wheel well lip. Where she hit the windshield, I can see a small crack in the paint at the roof line. The glass did not break. Somehow the A/C vent grill cover has a dent in it, although I don't see any other damage on the hood itself, Just blood and her lunch.

Double click the pics to enlarge.

This is how hard she hit the hood.. it made a dent in the aluminum side cover.

No worries, that will buff right out. :D

cornfish

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You know, I always think about that here where I live. There are deer everywhere at night and they love to jump out infront of you. I am so sorry that happened. At least you were ok and nothing major really happened to your car.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thankfully, no damage to you. I think that the cost to fix the car's damage will be significant though; but, that's what you pay insurance for.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Last Deer I got with the wife's Escape insurance denied the $4500 for the rebuilt transmission. Hitting Deer squished wiring in side front fender and shorted out computerized trans cuasing hydraulic pressure failure. $4500 from Ford!

Gen 2 hood worth completely ignorant amounts of money here in Canada. They'd write your Viper off just for the cost of the hood (like my 98).

Ted

OP
OP
D

dodgefever

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What's ironic is I don't drive it to work because I leave whle it's still dark and I'm worried about hitting deer! So here it is, a nice Sunday afternoon, bright sunshine, and I hit a deer! With the impact noise, I just knew the front end and right side were destroyed, so I didn't even pull over for about 3 miles. I saw the deer break her neck, so I knew she was dead, and she was knocked back into the trees. It was a narrow road and not safe to stop. The car drove fine, no indications on the dash, didn't pull to the right, no overheating, screw it, just drove for a few more minutes before I had to look at the nightmare. When I did see it, I was surprised at how little damage there is. There really is nothing wrong with the hood that a little touch up won't fix. Front fascia is DOA. As is the headlight, side marker, and driving light. My other concern is how hard she hit the windshield. I'm wondering if it may have bent or warped something around the windshield support.

Tusc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your ticket came up. Once the car is fixed again, you can drive it to work with impunity and not worry about your ticket coming up again for a while. ;)

treed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow! When I read the subject line, I was expecting your car to be smashed! Glad to hear you weren't injured.

cornfish

Viper Owner
Reaction score
No worries, that will buff right out. :D

Holy crap, my friend just had this happen to him this weekend. Crazy that I was posting here and then it happened to him. He has a 2008 BMW 335 xi and the front passenger side is really screwed. Here is a pic.

Attachments

• 335xi_vs_deer.jpg
    335xi_vs_deer.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 28
OP
OP
D

dodgefever

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Holy crap, my friend just had this happen to him this weekend. Crazy that I was posting here and then it happened to him. He has a 2008 BMW 335 xi and the front passenger side is really screwed. Here is a pic.

That's what I was expecting to see when I finally got up the nerve to stop and walk around the car. The physics of an accident are hard to understand sometimes. I don't know why the windshield didn't break. It was a full on impact with her 125+ lb weight.
I don't know why the hood did not break when she landed on top of it and slid up to the windshield. She landed so hard, you can see in the picture the hood impact dented the side sill. I see the interior wheel well is pushed back several inches. probably from the fascia impacting it. On the bright side, now I can get those bubbles in the hood paint sanded and repainted.

NorthernSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm always on the look out for Deer and coyotes...but if i hit one it would probably be at 90mph and i dont think it would be pretty. I hate driving at dusk, your lights havent started working for you yet, animals eyes dont reflect light, you cant see quite as well as you normally can and all the animals are waking up...proceed with cation.

OP
OP
D

dodgefever

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The insurance estimate came back around 4K. Not bad considering everything. Parts were new headlight, new side marker, new wheel well liner, new driving light and bracket, new emblems, and new overrflow bottle. labor included rework of the fascia, hood, right sill cover, and roof rail. Also includes repaint from windshield forward and sill cover.

1994viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am glad that you are OK, and the car is somewhat ok too. When I hit a deer at 70m/h, I was glad that I was in my wife’s SUV. You can actually see where deer’s head swung and hit the fender with its horns. I think if I were in my sedan or a Viper, that thing would have gone through the windshield.

You must be registered for see images

I've always said and I'll keep true to my word, "The moment I hit a deer I'm getting my hunting license!"

I'm getting my hunting license too, because of the accident, as my insurance didn't cover the damage!
Drive safe!!!

:drive: