Definitive Procedure for Side Sill Yellowing?

Tomer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Ulysses!

Now JonB, do you have anything to add?? I am considering a cat
back exhaust upgrade as well...

Tomer

OP
OP
T

Tomer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As part of my Viper repair, I am going to get the side sills repainted (white 96 RT/10). I plan to get the higher flow cats from JonB (hope they are in stock) and would like the definitive advice on what else to do...So far I am seeing marginal yellowing right near where the cats are, you really can only see it under flourescent lighting...

Is the insulatin glued to the inside of the sill? Should I paint the inside of the sill with the VHT-1500 paint I saw referred to here previously? If so, what is the Brand, or is VHT the brand (sorry if thats a dumb Q)...If I have the sills painted
on the inside, should the insulation be removed for painting, then somehow re-attached?

Should I also consider wrapping the exhaust pipe with some sort of wrap like they make for headers?? If so, can anyone suggest a product to use?

TIA
Tomer
confused.gif

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The insulation should be removed before painting. It might be attached in there with some kind of epoxy or be sticking to the previous paint that was applied before, but it should break away pretty easily. Mine had some sort of epoxy that was all brittle from the heat and the insulation just lifted out. The VHT is a rating. You can get it in spray can form from most auto parts stores in the engine paint section. I don't have a brand name for you but there are a lot of brands of VHT-1500 out there. Once should be just as good as the other. I would paint the inside just to be sure. Once you get the high flow cats, you shouldn't have to wrap the exhaust pipe. I suppose one can argue that you shouldn't have to paint the inside with VHT either once you switch to high flow cats.

OP
OP
T

Tomer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Folks, I am getting desperate here, the body shop is doing the tear down and I want to apply the best treatment possible to the side sills on my 96 RT/10...

All feedback welcome!

thanks
Tomer

kernie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Newport Viper:
I have the high flow cats. The sills hardly get warm. Don't worry about it too much! The cats will fix it.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I too have the new Hi-flow cats from PartsRack. After a long
drive the sills are barely warm to the touch. Much, much
cooler than stock.

OP
OP
T

Tomer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So would concensus be to forget the VHT-1500 paint, cuz the high flow cats will essentially do the job?

Tomer