designing a Viper LeMans/ALMS programme and next gen road car side by side

pitviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is the time for Dodge to act... after dominating the sport and giving the Viper true international recognition, the Vette has taken the top spot and retained it until now... Success on the track, specifically LeMans, in my opinion, was one of the things that set the Viper apart originally, taking out everything from Vette to Porsche to Ferrari both on the road, and on the track... and now, it is what the Vette community is using as ammo in their "we're the best in the world" anthem.

With the "next gen" Viper due out in the next few years, Dodge needs to be designing it with a proper racing programme in mind NOW. this only improves the breed... one of the reasons the new Z06 is so good on the street is because of things learned on the track, and vise versa. Pratt & Miller (who runs the C6.R programme) was INTREGAL in designing the new vette roadcar. this needs to happen again on the Viper side. the Viper needs to go back to LeMans, and take the title back. Go once again and take on Corvette, Aston Martin, Ferrari, Maserati, Saleen, Porsche, and Lamborghini... come back to the ALMS and fight for the championship on "home" soil! I have worked with the Viper in the ALMS for the past 4 years... I'm TIRED of hearing everyone say how now one can take on the Vettes... how everyone is too scared... DC, bring back the GTS-R!

Doing this will only serve to solidify the name and further develop the myth and following that the Viper has gained over the years... it's how Ferrari did it... it's how Porsche did it... "Racing is life; anything before or after is just waiting..." (Steve McQueen, from the movie LeMans)

comments and opinions, please...
Godspeed,
pit

jdavis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I couldn't agree more! Reputations are established and validated on the major race tracks. DC will have to step up to the plate and get the job done if Viper ever is regain it's past glory. If they are sucessful, the Viper following will increase as will sales of the car.

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I feel that a return to LeMans with wins will be priceless public relations for both the Viper and DC as a whole. Profits are up now and the Gen IV Viper is probably close to unveiling. The time is ripe now to return to racing and bring DC to the next level of overall success.

VTen555

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have been a guest of Compuware for a couple of years and raised the same question after the last Petite LeMans. I would love to see a current Viper take on the Corvettes.

OP
OP
P

pitviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like I said, I think that DC needs to work a race model into the design philosophies of the next gen Viper starting NOW. by the time 2008 rolls around, what better marketing push can you have to launch the new car than to coannounce a new factory assault on LeMans? Corvette did the same thing with the new Z06 last year. Look at perhaps even getting an orginization such as Prodrive involved with the development, look at what they did with Ferrari and Aston Martin, the only sustainable international competition the Vette has seen since the Factory Vipers left... or perhaps bring ORECA back, but they have just signed on to run the factory Saleen return to Le Sarthe with the S7R...

pit

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I spoke to a Dodge Motorsport guy a couple of weeks ago at a show where they are pushing Compe coupes, after chatting for about an hour I asked the very same question about Lemans 24 hour, the reply was "nothing planned for the
for-seeable future" the message I got was Dodge wasnt up to funding the huge development costs

heres some pics from the show
http://www.vipergts.dsl.pipex.com/

though 2006 FIA GT will have a viper team (Labre) and the organisers are travelling across the atlantic and are taking the event to Brazil in 2007

ORECA have been signed up to handle compe coupe sales in Europe to other race teams,preparing,supplying parts etc. Hopefully to develop the car and maybe run a few next year.... though the CC I beleive doesnt make Lemans regulations

Early93Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree completely the only thing I would like to ad:

I think DC should give more backing to Tommy Archer and all the other Vipers in SPEED World Challenge as well. :2tu:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960