Did I bend the fork in the transmission

FEDBYVORTECH

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My shifter has the range to go into reverse but it feels like it just barly grabs the gear. Sometimes it will not go in. I have read about the reverse lock out but I would think your range would be less. Its a 04 13k miles under warrenty but I really hate to bring it in. I dont think a tranny mount would do it because the linkage is internal. I be honest compared to my former 01 vette this thing shifts real bad. Its just not smooth. Thanks for any input

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the shift into reverse is not smooth...sometimes it will not go in the first time but a rapid second try is usually always successful ..... u might want to go back to the vette.....

OP
OP
F

FEDBYVORTECH

Viper Owner
Reaction score
the shift into reverse is not smooth...sometimes it will not go in the first time but a rapid second try is usually always successful ..... u might want to go back to the vette.....
From the factory you can not get reverse? When i push real hard and think its in i release the clutch and the gear grinds I push even harder for it to finally clunk in. Good thing the shifter is long to give me leverage. Dont break my chops because I pointed out the older vette shifted way better its just a fact.

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i'm not busting u're chops....shifting into reverse could be a ***** on my 03 but didn't seem to bother me....my solution for the rapid second attempt cured the problem for me.....if the inconvenience outweighs the benefits of the car then maybe a vette would be in u're best interest...

xjrguy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Welcome to the T-56.

This transmission has built in positive stops, so I don't think you bent the forks.

I have the same problem in my 2005 Viper and 2004 Mustang Cobra.

You really have to be stopped, and push to to the right and up with authority (not jam it or bang it but put some ass into it!)

Tim

jimmy6383

Enthusiast
Reaction score
my 04' with 9000 miles does the same thing... feels like it is in reverse, let clutch out, slight grinding noise, push clutch back in and retry, no problems.... never really thought anything of it. Not a big deal to me..... or is it??

OP
OP
F

FEDBYVORTECH

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My wife wanted to take it for a ride she couldnt get it out of the garage. I guess there are some positive points. I was going to install an aftermarket shifter but if the tranny does have a problem i dont want them to blame the shifter. Usually before i start it i try and get it into reverse trying to avoid the grind. It seems to go in easy with the car off but when its running its like your grabbing the edge of the gear. I guess thats why when i bought it the car was backed into the garage and the guy just pulled it straight out.

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
how does the pedal feel? You might try pumping the clutch pedal a bit before trying to put it in reverse...if that helps with reverse engagment while the engine is running, the clutch hydraulics might need to be bled.