Did I just get Viped Taxed? Brake Pads

Hyru

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just paid $324 + tax for Dodge to change my 4 brake pads.... LABOR ONLY. I supplied the EBC brake pads.
Took them 3 hours at the rate of $108/hour....

Does this seem a bit high to anyone?

2snakes4us

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think there are a lot of guys here would have charged you a lot less or may have helped you for FREE. where are you located?

Paul S Lacey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And I thought we got ripped in the Uk with no lift and on the garage floor 20 mins a side so well under one hour labour.

OP
OP
H

Hyru

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think there are a lot of guys here would have charged you a lot less or may have helped you for FREE. where are you located?

Im in Toronto, Canada. I could have probably done it myself but was a bit busy this week, so I decided to stop by my local Dodge dealer....

The price seems a bit outrageous... but its in line with their hourly charge of $108/hour.... I just dont think it should be taking 3 hours to change brake pads.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, that does seem a long time to swap out the brake pads! I know dealers/mechanics are given a time-frame for certain procedures. I'm sure if you have a VIPER (and if you DO, you can PM your VIN# to the moderators to upgrade you to Viper Owner, then join the VCA!) there would be many who could've helped you if they had a lift near you? Send your VIN# to kcobean by PM...he'll upgrade you! ~juli

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dude, you got hosed. Unless you're doing something under warranty, next time I would suggest asking some Canadian members of recommended places or just Take a trip to South Salem, NY and see the Viper Wizard, Chuck Tator!

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That's like $1200/hour...I'm going to change jobs. Wait....did you mean all 4 wheels or just 4 pads?

I can change all my brake pads myself starting with the car in the garage, not on jacks, in less than an hour...It I was trying I bet I could do it in under 1/2 hour...that is with a floor jack not a service lift.

oh...and I'm not union...

Art 138

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its a matter of jacking-up the car:5 minutes; pulling wheel 5 minutes: removing upper and lower pin on the Caliper 5 minutes taking old pads out. Replacing pads (might need brake pad expander) and re-inserting pins 5 minutes; 25 minutes to 30 minutes at the most. I have replaced all of mine so I have a benchmark of the approximate times......

Kmrumedy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm in Montreal and just had the same thing done to my car. It took them 40 minutes and I was charged $54 for the labour. That is the discounted labour rate for being a VCA member here in Montreal.

No way it should take 3 hours and the hourly rate you are paying is rude.

OP
OP
H

Hyru

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yeah, Ive learnt my lesson...
3 hour job for brake pads.... But I could swear I watched the guy for 3 hours and he was consistently working on it. Its not like the car was jacked up for 3 hours and he didnt do anything... and this is a so called "viper tech"... Kinda crazy.

OP
OP
H

Hyru

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That's like $1200/hour...I'm going to change jobs. Wait....did you mean all 4 wheels or just 4 pads?

I can change all my brake pads myself starting with the car in the garage, not on jacks, in less than an hour...It I was trying I bet I could do it in under 1/2 hour...that is with a floor jack not a service lift.

oh...and I'm not union...

all 4 wheels taken off.... new brake pads for both fronts and both rears

zoomie

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
ditto Catwood.. on the floor with jack.. rear pads in less than an hour, mostly learning, reading.. and I'm no mechanic.. once you've done it.. it's a snap..
check with Chuck Tator...

2001-V10 Power Nut

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Sorry about your luck but you got hoooooosed!! I watched the viper tech do it in less than 1 hour, I think I'd complain to someone at the dealership!!!:mad:

OP
OP
H

Hyru

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Although it is my mistake for agreeing on paying i, I think Im gona go ahead and write a letter to Dodge customer service. THEREs no way such work should take 3 hours... and if it does, the customer should not be billed for all 3 because its subject to mechanic knowledge

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dodge customer service :lmao::lmao:.....if you're gonna waste the pen and paper, may as well write to the Prime Minister of Sacarweigiaco while you're at it. He'll be just as helpful as Dodge "customer service"

You have a better shot (albeit a small one) of seeing results by complaining to the GM of the dealership.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not to rub it in like Rob, but for added perpsective, I could change pads and calipers at all four corners in three hours.

Not to put Chuck Tator on the spot, but as a "Viper friendly" dealer, he might give you some advice on how to approach the whole situation.

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yes, changing brake pads is simple and shouldnt take that long. BUT, is there a possible reason it took longer? was there another problem that needed fixed for example? may want to ask.

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dear Hyru,

Where in Canada are you? It should only take 3 hours if you're sharing beer, poutine and a trip to the "ballet".

Regards,
Aaron

OP
OP
H

Hyru

Viper Owner
Reaction score
yes, changing brake pads is simple and shouldnt take that long. BUT, is there a possible reason it took longer? was there another problem that needed fixed for example? may want to ask.

Nothing as far as Im aware

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nothing as far as Im aware

but that is my point. before we all start screaming "Hyru got screwed!", you may want to ask and get all the facts first. we are all assuming just the brake pads were changed. maybe they were. or, maybe something unexpected came up that took more time and resulted in the higher bill. for instance, maybe the rotors needed turned, or maybe they bled the brakes for you too. :dunno:

OP
OP
H

Hyru

Viper Owner
Reaction score
but that is my point. before we all start screaming "Hyru got screwed!", you may want to ask and get all the facts first. we are all assuming just the brake pads were changed. maybe they were. or, maybe something unexpected came up that took more time and resulted in the higher bill. for instance, maybe the rotors needed turned, or maybe they bled the brakes for you too. :dunno:

I sure hope so... because otherwise, its a bit ridiculous :)

But I believe by Canadian law they mus include all work done on the vehicle in the receipt write-up for safety/warranty purposes. For example... I got an oil change at the same time but the mopar filter they used had a hole in it, so he had to replace it.... that all got written down.

But nothing was mentioned to me and nothing was written down on my report. I honestly think I just got taxed :crazy2:

Live and learn.

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dear Hyru,

I'd call the Service Dept tomorrow and mention a few of the other members comments on here and ask what the standard service time is on a Viper brake pad change in hours.....if it's 3 I'd be surprised, unless of course they took the rotors off and checked them for being true, measured them for thickness and recorded the thickness of each rotor on your bill. They should also mention they greased all 12 grease fittings, performed some sort of 100-point check of every inch of the car as well and noted on your bill every item they checked. If they didn't do this stuff, I'd mention that you'll mention the dealerships name here and of course that you haven't yet.....

Regards,
Aaron

WOT!

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Call the dealer and ask for a quote on a daily driver. It shouldn't cost any more than a daily driver cost. You don't need to be a viper tech to change break pads. It's a pretty simple job.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think it's much to get exited about. Actually a relatively inexpensive lesson. I could see it costing $200 all in. Complain to the service manager and see if they'll refund some of the cost....then never go to that dealer again.

Iceman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They probably got boggled down on the back brakes.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery