Did I just get Viped Taxed? Brake Pads

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm guessing they bled the lines too. To do properly and swap out pads would take me three hours, but I'm 48-years-old.

Around 1.5 hours here to change out the pads and lightly scuff up all the rotors. I also always clean up the inside of my wheels every time I change the pads out. ..That's in my garage with a floor jack. I do have an air compressor. A garage lifting all 4 corners at once, with "trained professionals" should be faster. My brake shop charges me $30 (1/2hr) to flush and swap out my Motul 600.

$108 per hour to change out pads is ridiculous. Any repair /brake shop can do this. It's no different on a Viper than any other vehicle. Pretty basic mechanics. You got hosed big time!!

.....48 happened a long time ago for me :(

Steve

Reaction score
Remember that a regular line tech doing specialty work may have scratch or dinged a wheel with an air tool or slammed a wheel into your caliper. Sometimes it IS worth the extra money to insure your car is "taken care of" rather than rushed through like the rest of the cars. Also remember a Tech does not get paid when he takes the extra time to be careful, You have to pay a good tech for HIS time. FWIW

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm guessing they bled the lines too. To do properly and swap out pads would take me three hours, but I'm 48-years-old.

I'm older than Chuck and to clear up my point my estimate was just to change the pads on all 4 corners. Bleeding will take longer and removing the calipers if needed will take longer. Being extra careful with someone else's car will take longer and being on the "clock" will take longer.

Learn to do it yourself as it's rewarding and fun.

Cat

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
but that is my point. before we all start screaming "Hyru got screwed!", you may want to ask and get all the facts first. we are all assuming just the brake pads were changed. maybe they were. or, maybe something unexpected came up that took more time and resulted in the higher bill. for instance, maybe the rotors needed turned, or maybe they bled the brakes for you too. :dunno:

He must have gotten the complimentary carpet vacuuming and window cleaning. I think there was an unexpected tiny pebble on the carpet and a couple of unexpected gnats on the windshield.

Now if we calculate the additional labor costs at this dealership for these complimentary services, and the unexpected fact they had to actually clean something, you should feel better.

Xhlr8n

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sorry to hear your situation,

but dodge

and customer service should never be allowed in the same sentence.

with the exception of a few rare dealerships, customer service at chrysler corp. and dodge stealerships is a complete joke!

Last edited:

mad0953

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry about your luck but you got hoooooosed!! I watched the viper tech do it in less than 1 hour, I think I'd complain to someone at the dealership!!!:mad:

Don't you mean "the stealership"? When it comes to my Viper I always ask in advance in case they want to apply the Viper Tax to me.

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
He must have gotten the complimentary carpet vacuuming and window cleaning. I think there was an unexpected tiny pebble on the carpet and a couple of unexpected gnats on the windshield.

Now if we calculate the additional labor costs at this dealership for these complimentary services, and the unexpected fact they had to actually clean something, you should feel better.

if they did clean the interior, then they must have done the $25 interior potpourri atomizer too.

DandJ Auto 1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Hryu- I service some of the Toronto Viper guys cars.I am in Woodbridge & will bill you fairly for work.
If interested give me a call-Darren Nickerson-D&J Auto 905-850-1830

Thanks