Did I Let Too Much Air Out Of My BFG Drags??

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I took the advice of a Viper owner who's run 1.5x's 60' times with BFG Drag Radials and aired them down to 15 psi at the track Saturday. But looking at how the rubber was flung off the tire, I'm wondering if it was too low. All the rubber came from the edges of the tire and nothing from the middle like it wasn't even touching. That can't be good for traction to lose all that contact can it? It looks like I was only using half the width of the tire!

DSC014721.JPG

Pressured

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it would be hard to tell from the rubber pattern on the wheel-well. If you could go to an empty street and just do a quick burn-out and then check out the pattern on the asphalt.

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
lol! oops.

that is what my wheel wells look like after burnouts. not to worry. if you _are_ worried, clean and wax the wheel well before you do a burnout. old rubber will peel right off!

JD

2001 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You scared me for a second!

But my wheel wells look just like that after a few passes.

You can get some 1.5s...just takes some practice! Also my BFGs had their best traction about halfway through their life.

OP
OP
V

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
lol! oops.

that is what my wheel wells look like after burnouts. not to worry. if you _are_ worried, clean and wax the wheel well before you do a burnout. old rubber will peel right off!

JD
Still curious why no rubber down the middle but whatever.

Got it all cleaned up. :omg:

DSC014771.JPG

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting... One would also assume, that the middle would bubble out during a burnout, like a top fuel tire does, although not as dramatically... Maybe DR's are so stout, that they do not distort and bubble out in the middle during a burnout???? I would try keeping a few more psi in the tire next time and take a look at the pattern after the pass. It your launch sux, then take some air out. Ah, the beauty of "Test and Tune" at ye ol' Drag Strip.