Did someone say "Gen4 transmission into a Gen2" ??

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
5. I used Dexron ATF per the tag on the transmission. I did check with Chevy and the Z06/Zr1 calls for GM manual transmission fluid....on the back of the GM fluid it says "contains ATF"

The GM manual transmission fluid (a synthetic sort of like a thin gear oil) says it "contains ATF"? I'm not sure what that may mean...

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In the past, the T56 in a Corvette/Firebird called for a synthetic manual trans fluid (I've used it.) Now they don't anymore, just use regular ATF in a Corvette? Sort of a surprise...

V10TT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does it feel better than the T56?
speed sensor not working yet, right?

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
In 04 the Viper used the same gearing as the SRTRam10. This would be the strongest ViperT56. There was 9310 material used for several gears. The TR6060 also uses 9310 material in selected gears AND increases the face width. The net is the TR6060 Viper is the strongest we have made.

The T56 in general is sensitive to oil type. Vipers always had the carbon particle blocker materials so they were less sensitive. Other model T56s used a paper lining that could be damaged with some synthetics. This is why a blanket ATF T56 requirement. Some synthetic ATFs are ok but we cannot test all oils. Viper T56 used a synthetic gear oil from approx. ’96 on. Gear oils are high in sulfur content .This was not a problem with the carbon materials. When the TR6060 came in ‘08, the blocker material changed to a sintered bronze. The gear oil CANNOT be used with these. ATF is the only oil spec for the new units.

I am curious if this was ONLY a 2004 oddity, or if it was 2004-2006?

OP
OP

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does it feel better than the T56?
speed sensor not working yet, right?

Speedo is working fine. Sorry, didn't address that.....we used a split alum bushing turned down real thin. When the tone ring was tapped over it, it cut it's own splines into the bushing. It's not going anywhere. I did snap a picture but I have it on my high tech 3.5 floppy camera and my other computer with that drive is being worked on.

I am curious if this was ONLY a 2004 oddity, or if it was 2004-2006?

I would read that as 2004 - 2006 but I don't know for sure.

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm sorry I didn't see this thread earlier.
Thanks for the info and research, Tony!

I currently have the T56 out of my 2005 Viper truck rolling around the garage floor on a tranny jack.
If you need numbers or specs, let me know.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I'm sorry I didn't see this thread earlier.
Thanks for the info and research, Tony!

I currently have the T56 out of my 2005 Viper truck rolling around the garage floor on a tranny jack.
If you need numbers or specs, let me know.

Ditto.... I have a couple 2004's out of Vipers hanging around right now... [one is for sale too, 20K miles, no track, shifts fine]

Trans Doc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 9310 gear steel T-56 trans can be identified by two rings cut into the end of the input shaft spline.

All Viper T-56 transmissions have carbon lined blocker rings. The early GM versions had paper.

Borg Warner pre-filled all of the transmissions w/ Dexron III ATF prior to shipping to the assembly plants and it eliminated errors by using the same fluid in all t-56's. They purchased two train cars of 3 fluid when GM switched to Dexron 4.

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
TransDoc- please correct me if I'm wrong:

199x-1999 T-56 transmissions had paper blocker rings.
2000-current T-56 transmissions have CF/Kevlar blocker rings.

OP
OP

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Speedo is working fine. Sorry, didn't address that.....we used a split alum bushing turned down real thin. When the tone ring was tapped over it, it cut it's own splines into the bushing.

This picture is from a 6060 that I am installing in a TT Gen1. The bushing for the tone ring/speed sensor is a little different than mine .... tweaked to work/fit better. Notice how it cut it's own splines into the bushing. Very tight, it's not going anywhere. The machinist said he had about four hours in this one. Made from a piece of billet aluminum and now is tapered from around .016" to .019"

Attachments

• MVC-004S.JPG
    MVC-004S.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 74
  • MVC-005S.JPG
    MVC-005S.JPG
    35.2 KB · Views: 66
  • MVC-002S.JPG
    MVC-002S.JPG
    35.6 KB · Views: 74

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This picture is from a 6060 that I am installing in a TT Gen1. The bushing for the tone ring/speed sensor is a little different than mine .... tweaked to work/fit better. Notice how it cut it's own splines into the bushing. Very tight, it's not going anywhere. The machinist said he had about four hours in this one. Made from a piece of billet aluminum and now is tapered from around .016" to .019"

More "professional" = more cost every time. The trick is always how to weigh the "perfect part" cost versus what is good enough. Not a big deal until you want to produce parts to make a profit from.

This looks like a great project ! Keep the updates coming.

Sneaky Pete

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tony,
Thank you very much for posting all this info on the 6060 trans.

Has anyone found (or refined) a simple and easy solution for attaching the tone ring?

OP
OP

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tony,
Thank you very much for posting all this info on the 6060 trans.

Has anyone found (or refined) a simple and easy solution for attaching the tone ring?

Using the bushing is pretty simple. Next time instead of custom made bushing I am going to try forming one from this: McMaster-Carr
The thickness is about right. Shouldn't be hard to form it round. The tone ring will pretty much self center too...as in parallel with the shaft. The boss is already there for the sensor just needs the hole for the sensor, small hole tapped for the sensor retaining bolt and about .050" removed from the boss to set the depth.

Or you could have one of these made like Nadine did for a transmission project. You would have to make a bracket for the sensor to externally mount.

You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang