Did you buy your Viper because of it's speed or style?

syclone1157

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Did you buy your Viper because of it\'s speed or style?

I have had fast cars in the past but never one that draws this much attention.

LOOKS!!!!!!!!!!!! by far.

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Both. But speed first. My 500hp mustang was having a hard time staying together. I was between a silver RT and a black w/ silver stripes GTS... i went to the dealership and bought the silver RT off the showroom floor. if they had a black w/ stripes GTS, i may have bought that instead.

JD

Purdue_Boiler_Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Style. My 01 GTS gets jaw dropping responses every time I drive it. Same as the first time I saw my first GTS.

launchnukes

Enthusiast
Reaction score

i got the viper for style and "wow" factor. My 03 cobra was faster in a straight line but this car turns WAY more heads. also, the v10 has a lot of potential if you want to got for BIG horsepower.

Daytona8

Enthusiast
Reaction score

It's all about the look!

B SNAKE 1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Both :: The curves Smooth & **** just like a fine woman::: Performance She's always screaming for more:: rode hard & put to bed wet. Just Gotta Love It!!! :D

OP
OP
O
Reaction score

Both :: The curves Smooth & **** just like a fine woman::: Performance She's always screaming for more:: rode hard & put to bed wet. Just Gotta Love It!!! :D

Fascinating choice of words. I like.

BADMOFO

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Im in the process of buying my frist viper this week and my reason for buying one is for style and looks.

96GTS232

Enthusiast
Reaction score

the biggest draw for me was rarity....don't see too many around...also,the styling,namely the lift back hood on gen1 and gen2, with that big red engine staring you in the face..priceless!!!

NOTV8

Viper Owner
Reaction score

The looks.... and just the red one :2tu:

Fast Freddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

here we go again. :rolleyes: on the 1st page of the replies to this post you will see the that i made a very short reply to this post stradling both sides of the fence. i still stand by what i said as i am a very moody person. with that said my mood at the present moment promps me to say the following: i just got home like 5 minutes ago from driving my viper today and i have a new revelation concerning this post. i feel that when i 1st bought my viper a little over 4 years ago it was for performance 1st and looks 2nd. 4 years later as i lust after buying the new C6 Z06 and the new ford GT i realize that again i will buy the new vette and ford GT based on performance which i feel based on stock versus stock comapred to the viper is slightly better and in the case of the vette costs less too :p with that said the gen 2 viper still looks better to me and will get more *****.

in the back of my mind sub-consciously when i bought my viper a lil over 4 years ago i knew that someday there could possibly be a faster car for less money. but my gut told me that regardless of the price or time that a viper has the classic lines of a cobra and untold other famous sports cars of the 60's that made these cars so beautiful to look at. as so even though modern cars of today are faster than the viper/cobra replicar of the 60's if you will the vipers shape (look) etc. still represents and feels like speed to me despite the inferior aerodynamics and handling etc of the new vette, etc. put it this way i have road raced a modern day 60's type replica cobra on a road course some years ago and the cobra was a drivers car. if you were a good driver you turned out a fast lap time. if you sucked there was a big disparity between the better drivers and the slower drivers. corvettes equal the playing field. they allow better drivers to do better than they really are and bridge the gap to the better drivers because the cars are more user friendly and drivable at speed for the common driver. at the same power to weight ratio as a cobra the viper is easier to drive than the 60's cobra on a road course. and the new C5 Z06 will be easier to drive than the viper.

i like all kinds of cars. but the viper has one of the baddest *** looks for a car ever. and everybody knows that the viper like the old 60's cobra is all aobout light weight and big cubes. so with that said if you can turn out a good lap time in a viper compared to a vette or any other car except for a 60's type cobra you have something to brag about. anybody who has any road racing experience knows what i am talking about. if you were gonna put together a killer road race team and you whittled your way down to 2 drivers to be on the team > that being a top notch vette driver and a top notch viper driver. and you had to pick one to to be the primary driver and one to the backup driver. who would you pick up????? thats right you know it!!!!! you would pick the viper driver because just like what AJ FOYT and the UNSERS know the man who can run fast in tractor versus the man who can run fast in a rolls royce, cadillac, etc. is the better driver with more talent and abilty.

:headbang:

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score

With this in mind lemme give his question a more retro approach ;) ...

When all of you saw it on the news, in the newspaper or went to the car show where it was first unveiled, you all FIRST saw it's awesome curves (smooth & ****).

NEXT you came to the info boards saying that it has an UNHEARD OF engine, a bis-ass **** V10, so 'yall knew it had to have awesome performance :2tu:

THEN when you started to let Dodge's amazing new appearance sink in the melting *** a.k.a. saw dust kettle or brain ( :p ) you started to think... gee... yeah... this car has the best of both worlds, therefor I like it for BOTH looks AND style :headbang:

2000gtsgsxr1000

Enthusiast
Reaction score

All I ever had seen was the early RT's and thought they were over priced.On a trip to Vegas we spotted a silver GTS at a rental place.I about sh-- myself.I didn't rent one I bought one.Truely a classic not to metion the freak factor.

FinalEd357

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Has to be the looks. I owned my current GTS, while still owning my Z06. Each time I ended driving my Z06, I'd ask myself why I didn't take the Viper. If you've worked EXTREMELY hard to get to where you are in life and can afford it, why not go with a special reward? Call it therapy, call it spoils to the victors, call it whatever you want - and it has a v-10! :)

Z06 - great looking car, not a Viper. FGT - great looking, excellent heritage, faster than a stock Viper, 3x the price. 25 years from now, the Viper will STILL be THE car!

CSTER

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I agree with Freddy (at least the first paragraph above -- the post was too long to read the whole thing!) and Final Ed 357. Having owned a Z-06 prior to getting my ACR, I've got to say, it's about the style and exclusivity. I really got tired of seeing Z-06s everytime I went out for a cruise. The two cars are close in raw performance, except over 100 mph where I destroy my former Z-06. But it's really about the over-the-top aggressive look of the Viper and the fact that there are only 28 cars like mine in the world ('02 Red ACR).

Christian

FinalEd357

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I always wanted the GTS for it's looks, and knew it was fast. I never believed how much faster it would be than my 02z06. The day I picked my Viper up, I had about 25 miles to drive home. I needed to immediately jump in my z06 and drive Up North, 200 miles. I COULD NOT BELIEVE the difference in the torque. I already knew I liked the Snake's looks more, but once my Z felt slow, there was no reason to keep it. The c6z is another story, but lets continue talkin' snakes... :)

Cal Cobra

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I'm with Christian, style, exclusivity, and not to mention world class performance, but as I previously said any car can be fast with enough $$ to throw at it.

I've never had a car that received as much attention as my Viper. I've had people take pictures while I'm out driving, just about everything under the sun try to race me, tons of thumbs up, waves (many from car owners with exotic cars costing many times more then mine!), Viper fang gestures, and have met a lot of cool people driving it around.

As a complete package, there's just NO other car like it!

Cal

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I still have my Z06, but the viper is captivating, love the torque!

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I always loved the hemis and the big blocks of the past. The Viper improved on the concept by adding 2 cyl and like the Chevy ZL1 engine used aluminum with steel sleeves. The way Dodge styled the car around the engine in such an awesome way still is amazing to me. It's styling actually is competitive to Lamborghini but overall the car is so American.
What sealed the deal when I got the money was that in years since it was made it actually raced and dominated. I do not street race since my license is important for my job and since the Viper was really on top for so long I don't feel compelled when there is an opportunity. Everybody knows how fast it is.

SSSSE YA

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The style, We the Wife and I first saw the viper in a book and fell in love and then found out the HP.....

:usa: :eek: :2tu: :usa:

Eric H

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Both, it was the one car i have always wanted above all others

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

IIt’s like this, If you ever start getting tried of the looks, take it for a drive and you’ll swear you love the car for the performance. If you start to get tried of the performance, take it home and wash and wax it and you’ll swear you love it for it’s looks. Either way there’s no beating this cars.

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The Nissan GT-R is getting alot of attention lately. I thought I'd go back and see what Viper lovers were saying back in 2005. It's a very good read if you go back to thread #1 and start going thru them one at a time. :2tu:

There are many good quotes but I especially love this one by Chad;

I absolutely love the speed, but the styling is what 1st caught my eye. I wanted a Viper since 92' (I was 11), so all I knew back then was "wow that car is gorgeous"! A friend and I used to say if we could never afford a Viper, we'd buy the body and dump a 4 cylinder in it just so we could have the styling of the body. Luckily, it never came to that!

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Holy thread resurrection, batman. :D

I bought it for the looks but I stay hooked on it because of the speed and performance. ;)

Viper_043.JPG

7TH_SIGN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Grew up loving the style of the Viper from the first gen back in the early 90s. It really has a timeless body design. What finally got me wanting to own one was the 8.0 V10. I was tired of the 3.0 inline 6 and Q16 it needed in order to net nice numbers.

ZYellow01RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just couldn't resist those clown shoe looks...

You must be registered for see images attach