Differences in '03 through '06.........

Don Hiltz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Differences in \'03 through \'06.........

The previous owner of my '03 had red brake calipers installed. Yesterday, my wife was looking at an advertisement for an '06 convertible and remarked that there's no obvious difference between it and ours.

My question: Are there any obvious differences between these 4 models, assuming all are convertibles????

Don

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Differences in \'03 through \'06.........

There is a list somewhere, but among the changes that I can think of off hand:

Brake caliper colors
Trunk carpet (not in 2003)
Convertible boot (not in 2003)
Different gauges
Different radio
Different valve covers (breather moved to the front)
Knock sensors (2005+)
Optional wheels (2006)
Different colors in different years (but not much)

That's just a few things I can come up with for now. I am sure there will be many others added to this thread...

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

What changed with the gages?
'03 on the left, '05 on the right:

You must be registered for see images

YoungDoc

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I'm shopping around for a viper and plan to buy in june or july... I too would like to know the differences.. thanks guys...

SnakeEye

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Good question but you may wish to try doing a search on this topic as it's already been covered in some detail.

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score

while we have this pick posted where does your guy's needle sit when your driving normal? (cruising??) Mine sits extly between 240 and 300 is somethign wrong with that?

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score

while we have this pick posted where does your guy's needle sit when your driving normal? (cruising??) Mine sits extly between 240 and 300 is somethign wrong with that?

Something must be wrong with your gauge or sender, no way that the "normal" oil temperature is 270* when crusing.

Luc.00GTS

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Something must be wrong with your gauge or sender, no way that the "normal" oil temperature is 270* when crusing.

Luc.00GTS

time for an appointment with dodge then glad I checked here...what do you guys think is wrong with it? just the oil changed too

Cris

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Once your car is warm, and assuming you are not on the track, the oil temp should track right with the coolant temp. Therefore you should see right around 200 most of the time.

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score

what do you guys think is wrong with it? just the oil changed too

Gauges usually don't go bad, especially when the problem is only with one, so, my guess will be the sender or the electrical connection at the sender.

Most senders work the same way by changing the resistance (ohms), usually of the ground side, as the temperature/pressure/level change.

B4 taking it to the dealer, there is a simple test that you can do, unplug the electrical connector to the sender and, with the ignition on but the engine not runing, ground the connector (meaning the metal pin inside the connector must contact the engine block or frame).

That should send the gauge to the max reading, if it does you can be 99.99% sure that the problem is with the sender.

Luc.
00GTS

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score

So all 2005s have knock sensors? I didn't realize that my 2005 had a knock sensor ...

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

There is a MUCH easier way of testing the entire gauge pod in the SRT-10s.

With the key OFF, press the trip odometer button. Turn the key Forward (ON) while holding this button, release button after 2 seconds. The gauge pack will go into self diagnosis mode. Try it... its awesome actually!

PS- Gauge changes were a 2004 change.

rschiltz

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If a person is shopping for a SRT, ss there one year that would be considered a better year based on options or changes?

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

-03 has the strongest rods...but the pistons are the weak link...so not a big deal really. Weaker rear diff pin than later MY's. different gauges, sleep mode, etc from later MY's.

-04 has all of the running changes except knock sensors and the new valve cover breather location... can be added/changed.

-05/06 has a new style RBQ radio, but they are both functionally equivalent... plug and play with older RBQ's and RB1's as well.

INSOMNIAC

Viper Owner
Reaction score

The 03 - 05 Vipers are advertised as 500 HP.
The 06 Vipers are advertised as 510 HP.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score

HP measurement test methodology change caused 500 to equal 510. No other engine changes.