Differend kind of sub box

Jeebs

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well i figured i would try something a little different and build a round subwoofer box. Sense Nobody makes one i figured i would.
It has about 1 cubic foot air space and is all made of wood. MDF, kinda!. The top is a double top. The very top cover is just a beauty panel with a cut out to make the sub look flush mount. That, and it made it easier to wrap. The sub is just a cheap Kenwood i had laying around. I built it to fit a JL W3. Thats whats going to be going in it. Right now the box is sitting on top of the spare tire because i have already read all the posts that say the tire is there for a saftey reason as well. But if i removed the tire i could lower the box a few inches. It would look a lot better to. I am also in the process of making a plexy glass cover for the sub instead of a grill. And i am getting the viper logo sandblasted in to it. I hope when its all finished it looks ok.
Im not sure what everyone will think, but i think it looks alright just because it is different and something outside of the box, no pun intended. lol.
Oh and for you race guys, it is fully removable. I kept this in mind as i plan on doing some track days as well.
I also want to re due the beauty panel and put some raised lettering in it. Maybe Viper GTS ACR. Just to fill in some of the space around the subwoofer.

http://gallery.viperclub.org/data/500/IMG_0057_-_Copy.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jeebs

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just edited it, i hope it works this time. I don't know how to add the actual picture like some people do.

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not a bad idea. I'm sourcing out a sub or 2 now to power my system. I picked up a good Memphis amp 5 channel so now I need to figure my speaker setup out.

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, the whole "spare tire for safety" thing only applied to the R/T, not the GTS. Looks good though!

nutkees

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also have a round subbox in the Viper.
You must be registered for see images attach

My Focal Utopia 11" sub is mounted with the magnet down btw.
Sounds fantastic. Got 1 Hifonics Amp on stock location and 1 Hifonics Amp mounted against the back of the compartment. Looks very nice and clean.
I can also remove the sub in a heartbeat.

OP
OP
J

Jeebs

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey nutkees, very nice. I thought i was the only one. Guess not. Nice to see other people thinking outside of the box.
Not to many box ideas when it comes to the viper. I've looked all over the internet and NEVER seen a round box. I was either
going to do this idea or a nice clean fiberglass set up. I just did one for my wifes Tiburon. Maybe i still will.

nutkees

Enthusiast
Reaction score
He Jeebs,

Indeed not many cars with a round box.. I wanted to have a box with the oppurtunity to remove it in a heartbeat when racing. I will take some pics of my sub installed in the car. I however live in het Netherlands so you could easely be the first American with a rounded box ;-P

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks great, and I like the fact that you made it removable. I also like the idea that you can place smaller items around the box and not on top of it. Nice job thinking outside the box.................pun intended.

OP
OP
J

Jeebs

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Here is a few pics of the build. I hope they show up. I still have issues trying to post pictures on this forum. Not sure why, it must be me. But i can't seem to get the picture to show up, just the link :dunno:.
Anyway, the core i didn't make. I got it from work. It comes wider then shown, i had to cut it to size. It comes to work with 4000lbs of steel wrapped around it. So i figured it should work for a sub box. It is denser then MDF but looks like it. And is 1inch thick. Then i used MDF for the rest. I used a router to make every thing the same size. Like the tops and bottom. And then i made a jig for the router to cut my holes for the sub and the beauty panel. Kinda just pieced it together after that. I had to get a buddy to help me wrap it. It wasn't bad wrapping the top and bottom but around the core, i needed an extra set of hands.
Here are some pics i hope.

OP
OP
J

Jeebs

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It does sound alright with the sub that is in it with a 300 watt amp. But when i replace it with the JL sub i am also butting new components in the doors and then putting in a bigger 4ch. Should sound really good. Clean and not to boooomy.
And no i didn't bother putting in any baffling. I didn't care to get that carried away. But yes it does/ or can make a difference.
Thanks for the good replys.