Disarming pass.side airbag

Matt Dumas

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi,
I just joined this site 10 minutes ago .I just put a deposit on a 96 gts (blue w/white stripes).My first question is has anyone disarmed the pass. side air bag on this year.I have a 4 and a 6 year old who love the car and want to go for a ride.Thanks!

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">David,

What's a Schroth child's belt adaptor? I also have a 4 year old that loves to ride in the Viper and I pull both fuses as I don't know which one is for the passenger side. How can I tell which is which?

Thanks</FONT f>

OP
OP
M

Matt Dumas

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you sure that pulling the fuse will completely disable the airbag? A friend of mine is a tech at herb chambers in millbury MA. and he dug up a TSB on installing a switch and dashboard cover off of a newer model.I'd like to just go for the fuse but I obviously need to be COMPLETELY sure that this will disable it.Also , will that make the airbag warning light come on?Thanks

OP
OP
M

Matt Dumas

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The prices that my tech got for me were approx. $50 for the switch and $400 for the new dashpad. I beleive if you install them yourself you dont have to go through all the paperwork & waiting to get the appropriate permission from the government.I'd much rather pull the fuse if it will work though!

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">Matt, I too investigated the new dash pad plus disable switch but dismissed it because of cost and the non-stock appearance. Dodge also makes an disable circuit, costs about $60.00, that you plug into the passenger airbag circuit, but the bag is effectively permanently disabled as you have to get under the dash each time to re-enable it.

When you pull the fuses the airbag light does stay on, suggesting a fault, however I also think the best solution is the safety harness. As soon as I find one, my kid'll be in it.</FONT f>

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">Matt,

No it's not a switch, it's a disable circuit. It fools the airbag control module into thinking it's still connected to the airbag, so your airbag light is off, but the passenger airbag is truly disconnected. The drivers side works fine. I have it, but did not use it because my two older kids ride with me also and I want the airbag to work for them. What I've been doing so far is pulling the fuses when the little guy rides and putting them back when the big kids ride. The harness though is the way I'll go as soon as I get one.

The part number for the disable circuit is 4798354AB and it cost me $79.44. It's a total rip off as it's nothing but a plug and some wire, but I didn't want to mess around with something as serious as an airbag.</FONT f>

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
David,
Have you looked at the wiring diagram for the Viper. The diagram for my 97 suggests that the two fuses for the airbags (fuse 5 and 9) are not for driver/passanger bags but for the run and start/run power to the airbag control module. On the rare times I take our baby in my Viper I pull both fuses. WHile this does deactive my bag too, I am not sure what pulling only on fuse does.

Jeff

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
David,
Have you checked the wiring diaram for the Viper? The diagram for my 97 suggests that the two airbag fuses (fuse 5 and 9) are not for the driver and passanger bags but for the run and start/run power inputs to the airbag control module. On the rare times I take our baby for a ride in the Viper I pull both fuses. While this deactivates my bag too, I am not sure what effect pulling only one of the two fuses does.

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the detailed explaination! I guess in summary, you cannot disable the passenger airbag alone by pulling fuses.

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
We put this "Viper Passenger Airbag on/off switch kit" in our '97 2 years ago. It provides ground wires to prevent any kind of static electricity build up potential. There is a TSB for it. for the 1996-1997 GTS the part numbers are:
05011483AA for the switch
AND
0LB38JX8AH for the bezel, facia

I talked to Nancy at Woohouse on this last week and she sent me the following info:"they show three of the bezel numbers that you gave me but I might have to do a forced order on these as they have a ns at the parts screen for them. They show 60 of the switch number. Nancy Shanno Woodhouse Ford Chrysler 1-800-889-1893 [email protected]."