Discussion: Brakes and Handeling

Vipermann1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Engine ...Engine...Engine...that's what everyone is talking about.

Let's get to the real issues:

1 - How are the Brakes on this model? Brembo? Antilock with Traction Control?

2 - Suspension & Handeling. Did they make this car better for the track in terms of overall Handeling.

I hope so since the rumors suggest Ferrari assisted in the suspension and Traction control design.

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Supposed to be a stiffer chassis. If so, that's good, as the chassis was already good.

Would be interesting to know more about the dampers and springs.

I Bin Therbefor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any way you want it. The "track package" on SRT will result in a 3143 lb (dry wt) street fighter. The GTS at 3277 (dry wt) will result in a Grand Touring car.

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Engine ...Engine...Engine...that's what everyone is talking about.

Let's get to the real issues:

1 - How are the Brakes on this model? Brembo? Antilock with Traction Control?

2 - Suspension & Handeling. Did they make this car better for the track in terms of overall Handeling.

I hope so since the rumors suggest Ferrari assisted in the suspension and Traction control design.

Benchmark braking

Stopping performance for the 2013 SRT Viper is engineered to provide shorter stopping distances, better modulation, improved durability and balanced brake performance without fading under extreme conditions.

Four-piston Brembo brakes with fixed-aluminum calipers, and vented rotors with a diameter of 355 mm by 32 mm, are used at all four corners. Brake calipers are forged and weight optimized by fully machining all surfaces. The calipers are among the stiffest available with distortion from heat nearly eliminated even under the most demanding braking conditions.

The available SRT Track Package features lightweight and slotted two-piece rotors from StopTech.

Starting with a stiffer structure that provides 50 percent more torsional rigidity, the chassis of the 2013 SRT Viper benefits from numerous enhancements – many learned through racing efforts with Viper GTS-R and Competition Coupe models.
Major updates include the addition of a new aluminum “X” brace under the hood that ties the suspension pickup points to the magnesium cowl super casting and contributes to improved torsional rigidity and stiffness. A new aluminum impact beam at the front of the car contributes to overall mass savings and improved weight distribution while providing excellent crashworthiness.

Structurally, many areas of the chassis were reworked to take advantage of new materials, reduce thickness in some areas and reshape components for more structural rigidity in others. The result is an overall weight savings of approximately 100 pounds.

At the rear, the suspension has been re-engineered with the toe link moved forward of the axle for better tow control and dynamic stability.

A new, driver selectable two-mode suspension system, featuring Bilstein DampTronic Select shock absorbers with both street and track settings, is standard on GTS models.

For the first time, standard safety technologies such as electronic stability control and traction control help to maximize traction performance at virtually any speed and driving environment.

All 2013 Viper models will come with a steering-wheel-mounted launch control switch, allowing for optimal acceleration from standing starts.

Available SRT Track Package wheels are ultra-lightweight, track-ready wheels in Hyper Black or matte black finishes.

http://www.viperclub.org/news/news.php?displayType=article&articleID=38

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are the new track package rotors/brakes any different then the current ACR stoptech rotors/brakes? What about the wheels? Are they the sames sizes as currently?

Is the PCM programable?

The car looks lower, but that could be an illusion. I know a lot of guys felt that was necessary to compete in ALMS.

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are the new track package rotors/brakes any different then the current ACR stoptech rotors/brakes? What about the wheels? Are they the sames sizes as currently?

Is the PCM programable?

The car looks lower, but that could be an illusion. I know a lot of guys felt that was necessary to compete in ALMS.

Rotors are the same. Not sure about the calipers. Sounds like they may be improved from what I read.