DIY Heat Shields for Boots?

0260in3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just had some of my ball joint boots replaced. It seems the old ones might have cracked due to extreme heat from my track events. I'd like to keep it from happening again but the store-bought protectors are kind of expensive. Has anyone made their own? It seems there are a lot of materials that might work so I thought I'd solicit help here first. I'd be interested in what material you used and how you held them in place. Thanks for any ideas.

Terry

Grant

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Koolmat has some cheap shields they say will work with any Viper. They aren't reflective (which probably isn't a good thing), but they are inexpensive and easy to install. I'm trying them this weekend at Sebring (a brake-intense track) with Mintex F2R pads and Comp Coupe brake ducts on my '08 ACR. I'll let you know how it goes.

The best material would probably be exhaust wrap with a reflective side. I don't know what the best way to attach it would be, unless you seperated the ball joint and made a "sock" type shield. I don't like using safety wire or staples where it can easily come off and embed itself in a tire.

Some people have told me aluminum HVAC tape works in a pinch, and lasts a decently long time before falling off.