Do all roadsters leak?????

Smog Dog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Or is it just mine? I got caught in a very heavy rain today, and it looks like my water test is better than the one at the factory. On the passenger side at the top of the A pillar just a few drops in 40 minutes----no problem at all. On the driver's side, several hundred drops right on top of my left ankle. It seems to be accumulating on the trim piece below the steering column. Make a hard left turn, and you get more. Same thing on the passenger side, only not nearly so bad. Only a few drops after a half hour of hard rain, and then about a dozen drops on my wife's foot as I made a hard right turn into the driveway. I was proud of her! No sarcastic remarks at all like "how much did we pay for this car?". Anyway, I doubt if I want to pursue the leak repair---sometimes the fix is worse than the problem. We are on the noon factory tour at the Midwest Rendezvous on Friday; maybe I'll ask the inspector at the water test station if he has any ideas?

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check the foam seal for the heater core ******* coming up through the plastic box on the passenger side. On my '94 the foam dried and was turning to dust, but in fiddling with it, I see that the foam is not compressed very much - too loose to begin with. I squirted windshield silicone glue on it (a very running version of silicone sealer) and it soaked in a little, and basically ended the passenger wet foot problem. Drivers side I still have only a few drips and haven't pursued it. I'd look at the top of the foot box, even where it contacts under the windshield base. There are big gobs of sealer, maybe they missed a spot.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No problems here the first (and only) time I got caught in the rain. It was a real downpour. When I wash it I get a small dribble on both sides about a thrid back at the top of the windows. When you look at the seal you can see a parting line right at that point.

Sorry I can't be of much help with yours. Sounds like something is not quite right.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DO NOT wash the car unless you check to make sure the "smart-glass" worked right! Twice now I've found the passenger seat and door panel soaked due to the glass being outside the channel. I have to push the door closed at the top of the glass to seal it correctly.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not had the window problem. I have been meticulous to not put the window up with the door open. I have been concerned that the window will be fully extended and not know that it is about to be closed, and thus not lower it. Always put the window up with the door closed. Then open and close the door and the window should lower and then raise back after closure. This may be the issue when you wash it.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I looked carefully after the leaks. The glass (or the door striker) was set too high at the factory. The smart glass is working, it just doesn't drop low enough to clear the channel when closing normally. If I push the door down slightly when closing, it seals fine. If someone closes the door from the inside and doesn't double check that the glass is in the right place....that's when the waterfall happens.

Phoenix SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you talking about the Gen I or II RTs or the SRT? I had a Gen I RT and it leaked like a sieve. The passenger side footwell got soaking wet every time I drove it in the rain and water came in everywhere around the side curtains. That was pretty standard stuff, I am told by other Gen I owners.

My SRT, on the other hand, seems pretty well sealed. The only leaks I've had so far are some negligible dribbles down the side windows from where the top seats onto the windshield header.

I have no idea if the Gen II RTs leak or not.

SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have no idea if the Gen II RTs leak or not.

Yes they do. The removable hardtop on the RT/10s is a little better in the rain but the softtop is a joke.

McGuireV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My Gen II generally does not leak with either top. I drive in the heavy Florida rains on a regular basis with both tops. I have seen leaks twice, both while driving through hurricanes (once in south Fl with the soft top, and once in Louisiana with the hard top, a day after the hurricane hit last year). Occasionally at highway speeds with the soft top, I'll see a few droplets here and there, but that is rare.

However, I know some guys with Gen II RT/10's whose soft top is almost unusable in the rain. It appears to be a luck-of-the-draw kind of thing.

Since you didn't say whether you are asking about an SRT-10 or RT/10, I'll point out that an SRT-10 is a convertible, not a roadster. :)

OP
OP
S

Smog Dog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was referring specificly to my SRT-10. I guess when I asked " do all roadsters leak", I wondered if I was expecting too much to have a dry SRT-10, or any brand convertible! Thanks for all the replies. My "smart glass" works flawlessly, no matter if the window is raised with the door open or closed. My window seal to the top also was bone dry as I drove through the Mother of all Rains. Again, I hope I get the opportunity to discuss this leak problem with the water test inspector at the factory on Friday.

Bill

Phoenix SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My "smart glass" works flawlessly, no matter if the window is raised with the door open or closed. My window seal to the top also was bone dry as I drove through the Mother of all Rains.

Bill

If your SRT doesn't leak around the windows, where is it leaking?

OP
OP
S

Smog Dog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Phoenix- I don't know if it's coming from the base of the windshield or what? I get water on my left foot, dripping off the left corner of the interior trim below the steering column. I would not be nearly so disturbed if it was merely a window seal problem.

Bill

Phoenix SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It doesn't take an experienced Viper tech to see that is a really bad thing that needs fixing! Let us know what your tech finds out when you take it in.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My GTS leaked through the firewall onto my feet. It was a misapplication of seam sealer. It came up from the road and through a small gap. You'd think a 2002 would have issues like this solved. I expected such with the 2003, but only the top leaks!

MiamiJeff

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My SRT is far more watertight than either my GTS or RT/10.

On the other hand, the SRT has a couple of gobs of that nasty, sticky tar-like butyl stuff on the doors (been meaning to remove) though I'm not sure if that's relevant or not to the good waterproofing I have.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They usually put the butyl on after the first leak test as a quick fix. If it works, then they ship the car and start adding it to the production parts before they are installed. Some cars have it, some don't.

SteveBCloud9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drove 7 hours back to Chicago from Woodhouse in a continous downpour. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones's as it didn't leak at all. Take it to the dealer. A 80k car shouldn't leak.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4