Do engine mounts need to be broken in?

Vreracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have 98 GTS. It is having it's motor and transmission mounts changed. It has about 50K miles on it. Mark J had recommended that I eventually have them changed, otherwise the car has nothing wrong with it.

I was wondering if there is a break in period to let the mounts settle in?

Sweet Ride

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It would probably be a good idea to check the torque on the bolts after a couple hundred miles. Other than that they should be good to go.

Did you buy the Woodhouse mounts or go with stock?

Last edited:

RobZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They will settle in on their own. You will notice a great deal more vibration for the first 300-500 miles or so. You'll also notice better throttle response and less saggin along the drive train. Enjoy... :2tu:

:usa:

Kmrumedy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Which mounts did you get? OEM? Woodhouse?

I just changed mine and went with OEM because I heard the woodhouse though superior would vibrate more. The OEM mounts still vibrated and took about 500 miles to break in. Next time I'll do the woodhouse solution.

RobZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Which mounts did you get? OEM? Woodhouse?

I just changed mine and went with OEM because I heard the woodhouse though superior would vibrate more. The OEM mounts still vibrated and took about 500 miles to break in. Next time I'll do the woodhouse solution.

:nono:

You would have noticed the same vibration with the poly mounts only you would likely never have to change them again.

:usa:

OP
OP
V

Vreracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I used the OEM mounts. The car feels a little tighter and more responsive. I haven't had a good chance to test them out since there was a little traffic out and the only spots for wide open acceleration being that it's Friday afternoon are crawling with law enforcement personnel. So far so good.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got the Woodhouse mounts and after that proverbial 500 mile break-in there is hardly any vibration. Can't imagine anyone putting stockers back in unless you're doing Barrett Jackson (so you can lose all your money you invested in it etc.).

OP
OP
V

Vreracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The car had a little vibration on hard acceleration prior to the mounts being replaced. It appears to be gone. Mechanical engineers must go mad when they design a car and it has a simple harmonic that they just can't get rid of.

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Just installed woodhouse poly mounts on my '05. There definitely is vibration for the first 500 miles, but it is hardly noticeable after that period. Difference is night and day between stock mounts and the poly mounts (my stock mounts only had 7500 miles) and I cant think of any reason to stick with stock. Viper feels a lot tighter, acceleration is immediate, and best of all there is NO movement in the shifter. It is a real PIA to change out the mounts and I would not do them unless I was doing headers at the same time as there is very little room to work - especially on the passenger side.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala