Do I have a rear bearing issue ?!

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So after having driven my 2006 Viper coupe for 5200mi the last week Salt Lake City and Montreal go and return I noticed a little play in one of the rear bearings. During my inspection I noticed that the rear wheel has a little 1/32'' play that it didn't have before.

The car drives fin. There is no noise. Anyhow the Viper is too noisy to notice anything.

I was wondering how much attention should I pay to this loose bearing.

Will it get suddenly worst or should I replace it when it makes noise ?

Tom Sessions

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would check the torque on the hub nut. This is something we do on a regular basis on the viper racecars. It should torque to 325ft/lbs. You can also do this on the front hubs as well. Could save you from premature bearing failure.You will need a 1 1/4 in socket to fit the nut. Do not try to remove the front nut as it is staked and can not be fully removed without damaging the nut.

OP
OP
S

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have already tried to torque the hub nut but I didn't dare to torque it to 325ft/lb. That`s a quite hight number. I will definitely try to give a try to that nut over the week-end. The worst case scenario is that I will have to buy a new shaft :)

When I was 18 I worked on an old car to replace the krankshaft sprocket. I didn`t dare to remove the bolt that was stuck. My old master took his prefered vrench and just broke off the bolt along with the sprocket. My master frooze like you can`t believe it, he has just killed a supercar ... since I have bad souvenirs about those over torqued things ...

I haven`t seen much bearing failures so I was just wondering how much abuse it can take.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would check the torque on the hub nut. This is something we do on a regular basis on the viper racecars. It should torque to 325ft/lbs.

I have already tried to torque the hub nut but I didn't dare to torque it to 325ft/lb.

...just wait until you see the price and physical size of that torque wrench !!! :)

After reading similar posts a year or 2 ago, I checked mine with my 250 lb-ft torque wrench set at 250. I figured that if nothing moved at all, I was probably OK since I have no symptoms.

I'm thinking that torquing to 250 would at least tell you if that will solve your problem. If it does, then you can see if you can borrow the "right" torque wrench, or take it in to a mechanic for final torqueing if you don't happen to have the right wrench. (At least most of us do-it-yourselfers wouldn't normally own that size.)

Last edited:

wikkid

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I didn't even think that torque amount was possible with a manual torque wrench LOL

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala