Do Vipers like to burn oil? 2010 ACR

nutrientcobra

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just bought a new 2010 ACR and noticed at about 370 miles that it was nearly a quart low on oil. Is this normal for these engines. Going in for the first oil change at a bit under 500 miles. Thanks

EZ 2B Green

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it is pretty common for the Gen IV's to burn oil for the first 800 miles or so. Once the engine is broken-in a little the oil consumption drops dramatically. I change my oil once a season (~3500 miles) and I don't need to add any oil between changes. I think I remember Mark Jorgensen posting a warning to GenIV owners to check the oil often within the first 1000 miles for exactly this issue. The bottom line is top off the oil and drive the beast. Get your first oil change around 500-800 miles and make sure you use the GenIV filter! No worries.

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine does, but I dont know where it goes! No leaks under the car, clean garage floor, no visable engine leaks, the occasional tiny bit of smoke from the exhaust, Im thinking valve guide oil seals?

I got a set from Mr Tator, but have not installed them yet
2000 gts.

:drive:

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
My 2001 GTS doesn't burn hardly any at all. When it was new, I followed the Arrow break-in procedures, you know, gradually increasing allowable rpm as the miles click by, and limiting the throttle input. I always used Mobil 1, with a Mobil 1 filter.

At 43,000 miles, when I did the heads and cam, I looked at the wear patterns on the lifters. You could see a discoloration, where the lifter slides up and down in its guide, but that area had no detectable undersize to it. I didn't mic it, but if I did, I don't think it would have shown much wear. It was basically like the metal surface just got smoother from polishing, and that made the color of the surface change.

Strict break-in, full warm-ups, Mobil 1 since birth, that's the way I treat all my cars. No oil burning, even on two other vehicles that I've taken near 190,000 miles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte