Dodge Viper ACR on dyno: More power than advertised

SilveRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great article. We all knew about this but the rest of the world just goes by Manufacturer's published #.
Mine with 1800 miles, pure stock, showed a little better HP but less TQ than this ACR. Will Dyno again in the Spring at 3K+.
Claude
You must be registered for see images attach

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That was a really stong car. Did anybody notice that one of the member here got a shoutout? Good job helping out FikseGTS :2tu:

fireball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wonder if the SRT guys 'made some changes' without notifying the EPA officials? With the automakers financial situation and the cost and time required for recertification maybe they just slipped one under the carpet.

Of course I doubt all this but conspiracy’s are always fun!

Greg

Reaction score
If you use the 1.1 correction factor that Arrow uses though the number is 600.6. This means the Vette is OVER rated though huh?

Not trying to burst anyones bubble but this is straight from the horses (Arrow's) mouth.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What's up with the pansy posts, like this:
"As close to a real race-car as you're going to get for the streets, with all the associated negatives. I love 'em, but this could only *ever* be a weekend/track car. DD'ing a Viper would be painful."

I've DD'd Vipers for the past 7+ years, 100k+ miles, many 10+ hour drives, and they ride just fine.

fireball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What's up with the pansy posts, like this:
"As close to a real race-car as you're going to get for the streets, with all the associated negatives. I love 'em, but this could only *ever* be a weekend/track car. DD'ing a Viper would be painful."

I've DD'd Vipers for the past 7+ years, 100k+ miles, many 10+ hour drives, and they ride just fine.

Bed wetters.:)

adamlotus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have my 08 vert and my neighbors acr dyno at dc and we were both very close at approx 525 t the wheels which brings it close to 600 at the crank

3SXVPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dyno numbers are cool when comparing car to car on the same dyno, but are all over the place when compare a run of a car on one brand dyno versus another car on another dyno. Nice to see both cars done at the same time, same dyno,so at least know what percentage of horsepower and torque the 2 cars are to each other but as far as displayed numbers they should be taken with a very small grain of salt.

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Saw someone post this about half way down the page, made me chuckle:

A bunch of wealthy guys I worked with had a little bet as to which car I'd like the most. So they each gave me a ride. One was a BMW Z, the other a Porsche 911, and the last a Viper. I rode with them in that order and on the last car I walked back into the office and the guys said, "Oh that it, the Viper won." I said, "How do you know?" They said, Because you look like you just had sex."

fireball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Saw someone post this about half way down the page, made me chuckle:

A bunch of wealthy guys I worked with had a little bet as to which car I'd like the most. So they each gave me a ride. One was a BMW Z, the other a Porsche 911, and the last a Viper. I rode with them in that order and on the last car I walked back into the office and the guys said, "Oh that it, the Viper won." I said, "How do you know?" They said, Because you look like you just had sex."

Z4 = Nice
911 = Nicer
Viper = Holy crap Batman I just $hat my pants!!!

:headbang:

cheryl mccally

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have had 3 Vipers, all DD over 100,000 miles as well. My '08 ACR with the front splitter in and track set up is super. The only problem I have is keeping my foot out of it!

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have my 08 vert and my neighbors acr dyno at dc and we were both very close at approx 525 t the wheels which brings it close to 600 at the crank

That's about what we figured our '08 does, roughly 525rwhp. Makes more sense, though we have not dyno'ed the car, don't know if we will have a chance to. ~juli

FikseGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
this is my ACR the autoblog post is talking about......

the ZR1 isn't overrated, it has been SAE certified

=======================
The LS9 engine in General Motor's (GM) 2009 Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 holds the distinction of being the 100th engine certified through SAE International's Engine Power Test Code - Engine Power and Torque Certification (J1349). The 2009 Corvette ZR1 engine is certified at 638 hp at 6,500 rpm, with 604 lb-ft torque at 3,800 rpm.
=======================

It appears that the new Viper's are underrated..... unless something from the engine to the wheels is much more efficient on the Viper vs the Vette.... don't they use the same base transmission?

as for comparing different dyno's, from my experience of having the same car on 3 different dynojets, the SAE numbers have been within 5HP from eachother....

If you use the 1.1 correction factor that Arrow uses though the number is 600.6. This means the Vette is OVER rated though huh?

Not trying to burst anyones bubble but this is straight from the horses (Arrow's) mouth.

3SXVPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
as for comparing different dyno's, from my experience of having the same car on 3 different dynojets, the SAE numbers have been within 5HP from eachother....

Interesting, but that is all on Dynojets. Compare those readings with those from a Mustang, Superflow, or some other brands and the results will differ. We see it everday at the shop.
Great results none the less :2tu:

FikseGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4