Does anyone tow an enclosed trailer with an Expedition? Need advice, please.

Tpup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 2000 Expedition (Eddie Bower) with the tow package and a Haulmark 20' steel trailer. I tow a few different cars ranging in weight from 1700 lbs (Lotus Exige) to 3,500 (Porsche TT). In addition, I carry a compressor, tool box, spare tires, tent, chairs and a bunch of other crap. My feedback would be:

1. Take the extra money and buy an aluminum trailer. I suggest a Featherlite or Trailex. If this a long term project, get aluminum, otherwise, you'll buy a steel and then upgrade like I will... They are worth the extra investment imo.

2. On towing a heavy car (3K) with a heavy trailer, the Ex is working very hard. In addition, the short wheel base of the Ex contributes to swaying. Get a swaybar, you will need it.

3. I had a Suburban and went through the lemon law process; GM bought it back. I have 30K miles on my Ex and love it. In fairness, I'm sure I just got a lemon, I do like the new Yukons.

That being said, I'd get an Ex and an Aluminum trailer vs. a Yukon and a steel trailer. I'll keep the trailer longer than I'd keep the truck.

A racer friend told me to get an aluminum trailer and I thought I would save and get steel. I regret it...

Good luck. Post pics of your setup when you get it setup!!

Roy

You must be registered for see images

Viperrick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't really comment on the enclosed trailer but I towed my Viper for years with my Expedition and a 18.5' featherlite open trailer. Use to take tools, 8 mounted tires and crap for every situation. Never had any problem untill some scumbag stole the trailer almost a year ago. To keep the tail from wagging the dog you need to properly distribute the weight. By the way I have the 5.4 with a 3.90 rear gear and 2 wheel drive and the trailer towing package. I found that the added weight of the 4x4 wasn't needed in my application. I don't know if you can still get a 5.4 in a 2x4.

jrkermode

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go for the Yukon. Longer wheelbases tow better and you'll need the additional capacity.

The Explorer/Navigator will more than likely be overloaded with what you intend to pull. Remember, the max tow rating is what the vehicle is rated for with a single 160 pound passenger in the vehicle. Any additional cargo in the vehicle is weight which must be deducted from the tow rating.

With whatever you get, be sure to do the math on the tire and axle ratings. Many SUVs and pick-ups come from the factory with soft tires to give a cushy ride. Load the vehicle to the max and you will likely exceed the load rating of the tires and often you will exceed the load rating of the rear axle.

K Adelberg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was in this same boat. I had a 97 Expo with the 5.4 motor. Towing on even flat roads was really taxing on the truck. Mine had less hp, I think 230 hp. The newer ones are better. Now I have the Yukon XL Denali. I went for the Denali, since you can have the 1500, saving weight rather than the 2500 chassis. This allows you to have the 6.0 liter motor with 320 hp. It pulls like a champ! Also the Yukons have the self leveling suspension, not sure about the Ford. With all that said, I think the lighter trailer is always the way to go. Its just a matter of cost. Always get the load distribution hitch and a sway control set up!

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have a Haulmark Elite II trailer. Diamond Plate ramps and steel floor. I use a Ford E-350 Diesel van to tow. Works great for me no problems. I am always weighted down. i carry everyting included about 11K weight. You definately need a weight disrtibution system Keeps the swaying to a mininum. If you can afford a CC then you need a seperate tow vehicle. Might i suggest a Ford 550 or 650..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960