Does it make sense to pay more for a color?

ACR Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As with beauty, value is in the eye of the beholder. So yes, I would pay more to obtain a color of my liking.

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's because all other colors besides red are FUGLY..
smile.gif

I guess it wouldn't hurt to pay perhaps 2k more for a color of your liking.... You could always save a couple grand and repaint the car, but then you are over what you would have paid for the color you want.. I think I confused myself..

Gerald

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ACR Joe:
As with beauty, value is in the eye of the beholder. So yes, I would pay more to obtain a color of my liking. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agreed I'd shell out more cash for a White or Graphite myself. I see some inflation with blue/whites as well. But think this way, if "steel grey/gun metal grey, black, and many cars with the cognac color which just doesn't appeal to me," maybe the same goes for the rest of the current market.

FYI though, if I couldn't get $2k off for a like-model car with a common colour I'd invest some time in finding another dealer. Just my .02

Ron Hickey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Red is the most common color. As such, it shouldn't command any premium. On the contrary, the one-year or rare colors might increase the asking price. I'd keep looking. If it's red you want, there are lots of good cars out there.

One of the factors making your search difficult is that Dodge didn't build a lot of Gen II RT/10's in 97-98. And 60 or so of the 97 RT/10's were blue/white -- the rarest RT/10's. So most of the cars you're finding are 99's and later. These cars, especially low mileage ones, are commanding a higher price. I think $58-60K for a low mileage (under 5000) 99 or 2000 RT/10 in perfect condition is a fair price. You might find something for less, but it will take a little more patience and effort. And if you find one locally or within 200-300 miles, there are clearly fewer hassles than buying one on the other side of the country, not to mention shipping costs.

Good luck!

C O D Y

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mr. gas guzzler=3k is included in the price, so you don't add that to the end price.

Mr. luxury=approx 2K..... is really 3% of the price over 38K or 40K (about $900 on new), after 2002 the luxury tax goes away. You could wait 6 months and avoid that cost.

plus sales tax=3660... Sales tax is sales tax. You pay it the same % on new as used. Maybe a $700 diff.

Total cost to buy new over used about $1,600. + differance of the price from new to used.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ocarguy:
I don't understand how it makes any sense to buy a new one. Sure 60K verses 69K doesn't seem too bad for a jump of 2 years. But then we add Mr. gas guzzler=3k, and then Mr. luxury=approx 2K, plus sales tax=3660. Now we have about 9K we just flushed down the toilet. Add that to the 9k over the used 2000 and that is 18K. Actually the used car will have 3600 in tax so the real difference is about 14,400. And nobody will know the difference between a 2000 and a 2002 exept me, the one who is missing the $14,400.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I actually really like the steel gray color of my 2000 R/T10, but even more, I loved the '97 Viper blue, so I repainted it.

It certainly would not be many other people's choice to spend the money to alter the car like that, but I'm glad that I did.

-Dean.

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you are financing the car you should consider interest rates. I think you could get a much lower rate on a new car loan than a used car loan. Might make the difference over 4, 5 years.

Shakin Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Heck yes it does.

And I agree with you on buying a well conditioned used Viper vs. a brand new one. Take 70K and pretty much add 10% to that drive it off the lot price. Tax and License will pretty much get you the plus 10% zinger.

Not all state do you pay sales tax from a private party purchase. Maybe you live in one of those states. I do. I would never be caught dead buying a dealer Viper here in Arizona where you DO NOT PAY SALES TAX on private party purchases.

And my story is.......I will be buying a near new 02 Graphite with Silver Strips in December of 03. Maybe an ACR. I hope to buy one right here on the Viper board.

Good Luck

Shakin Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ViperJim:
Like your color choice, Snake.

Check the avatar with the HRE wheels. Best color choice on the road. And they also have 20 more RWHP.
bounce.gif

NO
bs[1].gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ViperJim, Beautiful GTS, especially with those wheels. Take good care of her, I'll be calling you in 16 months. SS

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WARNING! Before you pay anywhere near 60k for a 2 year old car you owe it to yourself to price a new one. You might try Woodhouse Dodge (click on the icon at the top of the page) I just did, you can view inventory on line, they have at least one red RT in stock. Bill Pemberton is the guy to ask for, he is somewhat of a legend on this site, very non-pushy and friendly guy. I recently had a chance to price a new GTS with Bill and I was shocked at the deals available, you owe it to yourself to get a quote. If he doesn't have your car at your price the chances are he knows somebody around the counry about to trade that does. Good luck!