does pipe size matter??????

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
looking for some advice on the size of the exhaust pipe size. I just bought a set of Borla headers (1.5 inch pipes), and I really don't care for the way the collector transitions to the flex tube and outlet. I have already decided to modify the collector, cut off the flex pipe and weld 3 inch pipe all the way through to the muffler, but if I use the Borla muffler the exit side is only 2.5 inch pipe (I am cutting out the cats and using a muffler for the 95, dumping out of the back side sill). My question is: should I just go with 2.5 inch pipe from the collector back or will I see a benefit with 3 inch pipe? Anybody? Also is $700 for both mufflers a good price?

Mike

bad viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As all women know size matters!!!!!!!!
1 1/2" is NOT enough suggest 1.75,
3" all the way back.. remove cats use Borla sportsman
3"inlet,3"outlet 3 1/2" in diameter.

OP
OP
99 R/T 10

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Wayne,
I don't know much about the sportsman muffler, did you use it in your GTS? How did they sound? I'm assuming they flowed well because you're recommending them.

Mike

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wilddude,

Your exhaust is only going to flow as good as the smallest oriface. Don't skimp on the exhaust as it is the platform for all future mods that you may desire. Skimping here will only mean that you will be spending that same money again one day or suffering a horsepower deficit to other vipers with better systems.

Good Luck,

Tom
Http://btrviper.com

bad viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes they were on my Viper. They are primarily
used on midget race cars. About 14" long.
Loud and distinctive sound difficult to describe!
Stainless and not cheap but I felt worth it.

OP
OP
99 R/T 10

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One more thing to add, I know that 1.5 inch is minimal at best, and I should go with the 1.75 inch pipes, but over the stock
Gen I exhaust manifold how much power should I expect to gain, not to include the cutting out of the cats?

Mike

OP
OP
99 R/T 10

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the info Tom, but at the moment the funds (wife), won't allow for the amount of what I have been quoted. I believe you sell the belangers, which is the ones I really want, and which I will upgrade to when the funds(wife) allows. I will set up the rest of the exhaust with the 3" pipe and Borla Sportsman now just to maximize as much as I can.

Mike