dont take what u have for granted!

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by alexNC:
i drive a 92 toyota tercel. nuff said
embarass.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Hey, is that like a Supra?
laugh.gif
j/k

Are you a Viper fan?

RoyV101621

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did the Maverick's front suspension creak when you gassed or braked and wander from lane to lane under braking because of bad ball joints? I used to clean the frost off the inside of the windshield with an ice scraper while driving. I used to cover the rust each spring with a new coat of paint.

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This might be fun to start a thread what's your first car? My first car was a 1977 Green Ford LTD 4 door this was in 1985
smile.gif

SteveBCloud9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alex, We all start somewhere. Some of us have it handed to us and others "make it happen". Also, for all of those who want to have a car like this or have ANY other "GOAL" no matter what the costs may be, it all comes down to one simple saying, it's not how much you make, it's what you save. O.K., lets say it again so it sinks in....

IT'S NOT WHAT YOU MAKE, IT'S WHAT YOU SAVE!

I can go on and on about people who have great paying jobs but blow through it dropping hundreds/thousands every weekend/month at bars, events, etc. I'm not saying stop having fun, maybe just in a different way. I know a guy who makes high 30's a year and has $ 400,000 cash in the bank and he's 43. This may be an extreme case (I've never seen him buy anything out of a vending machine in 10 years), but you get the picture. The worst thing you can do when you are young is buy a new car or have payments on a car. Use you money wisely, develop a budget, stick by it, set a goal and make it happen....... I did.

....Happy to get in my rusted 91' ****** GT with 156,000 miles...

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by alexNC:
Originally posted by slaughterj:

Are you a Viper fan?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
who isnt? hehe. and now that i think about it, my car is more like a celica
smile.gif
well, the good thing about my car is it gets 40mpg, so i dont have to spend money that i could be saving for a viper
smile.gif
what do vipers get? 15mpg? anyways, i ran 0-60 in 16.6! hehe. i look forward to meeting you all.

-alex
The alleged mileage is 11 or 12 city, 21 highway, presumably that means driving a steady and reasonable speed...
smile.gif
Enjoy the board!

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Take it for granted? Believe me, I don't!

My ol' man bought me and my two bros a 66 Rambler for $300. The tranny went out before I was old enough to drive it.

The only car I loved/owned before the Viper was a 71 Firebird Formula 455. It was hopped up and fast and it was my dream car until I saw a Viper.

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A good dependable place to start! Remember, Roger Penske started out by purchasing rough cars, fixing them up, and selling them for a profit.

My first car was a '60 Austin Healey Bugeyed Sprite. I paid $300 for it, and my dad was nice enough to rent a snowmobile trailer to haul it (and the boxes of parts including the engine) home... it took me three years to get it all back together, sound familiar
smile.gif

My first "real" car was a (rear drive) '79 (?) Mazda GLC I bought as a sophomore in college. It was ORANGE with black stripes, really..... boy that car served me well, hauling everything I owned back and forth between my engineering co-op job at Kodak in Rochester NY, and college in Madison, WI every semester. It really was a "Great Little Car", fun to flog, tons of interior space, and pretty "zippy" for it's time.

Michael Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My first car was a 1970 faded gold 4-dr Plymouth Valiant... had a slant 6 with 3-on-the-floor.

Hey... it wasn't a babe magnet but was Mopar and it was better than walkin'!?!

Serious Eric

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My first was a '53 Chevy pickup that I bought for $175. Rust-red primer job and a fire-ant mound under the rotting carpet on the passenger's side. When I ripped up the carpet I found that it was also serving as the floorboards ... big gaping rust holes that you could see through to the road. It was a POS, but I loved it and it transported me back and forth to my $1/hr job as a mechanic's apprentice/slave at a nasty ol' redneck's shop out in the sticks. I loved that slave labor job too ... got to do all sorts of cool stuff that my grocery sacker friends could only dream of. Over the next few years I reconstructed that truck with a 327 vette motor, Muncie M-22 and a 4.54:1 GMC 3/4 ton truck rear end. Did all the work myself with spare parts snagged out of shop's boneyard. The ol' redneck was cool in several respects, even if he didn't pay me sh*t. Let me use the shop tools, lifts, torches, scraps, you name it for my after-hours project. More than made up for the lack of $$.

That truck was my transportation from age 13 thru college. Dated my wife in that truck. Kinda served as a litmus test for girlfriends. If they dissed my truck, they dissed me and were summarily ejected from my life. I kept that beloved truck for ever and only reluctantly parted with to make room in the garage for my first viper, a '95 RT/10. So don't be embarrassed of humble first cars. They can be very important and often lead to great things!
smile.gif

BWoodbury

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My first car: A 1968 Firebird 400. Bought it for $1200 with my own money senior year of high school. What a ride! Added a Holley 650 double pumper converted over to manual secondaries, headers, bigger cam, 3 feet of custom 3" exhaust.

I used to really miss that car...
smile.gif

MadMaxx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey man, nuthin wrong w/ a tercel ;)

I'm probably the most assbackwards of anyone on this board...
I was given a 97 Volvo a few years back, one of the 850 turbo ones. You know.. for a 5cylinder volvo, she would move! Anyway.. I got this new, shiny red car. Leather, all the crap that a 17 year old should want right? Hmmmm...
So what, in my infinate wisdom do? Hand over the keys in 5 months for a 79 Camaro Z28 w/ a hopped up 383 that I built from parts cars ;)
So, my addiction was on... and it's still here. I've gone through cars over the years than most of my entire family combined over the several decades! ;)

In time, all things will happen... I'm counting down till next summer... thats when I get to pick up my RT/10! That's my goal for 02'.

James

OP
OP
P

Performin Norman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First car. 1971 Dodge Challenger R/T 383 Magnum with 727 Torqueflite. Built it to the hilt in high school. Trying to locate it so I can buy it back. hahaha

You must be registered for see images

BigsViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I started working at age 10 and when I got my license I had enough saved to buy a 1970 Plymouth Road Runner Superbird (in 1972). Paid $1,600 (I think the sticker was $4,400) it had 3,000(hard) miles and a 440 6-pack. I ended up putting about $1,500 in it redo-ing everything.

Sold it in '74 when gas doubled. I think one of those cars (if I still had it) now would bring anywhere from $40m to $100m depending on condition and market. I sold it for $2,800 and the buyer's wife totaled it. I put 4.10's in it for awhile to drag but it was a better road car with the 3.23's.

My love for and memories of this car led me to buy the Viper. I have some pics here in photopoint if anyone wants to see them. DB
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1402379&a=11474052&f=0
cool.gif

MadMaxx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey bigs....

A friend of mine is working on his 70 'bird as we speak! it is a 440+6 4spd car. My RR is kinda rare (but not really), it got the wrong color paint from factory!
smile.gif
Tag says F8 (dark metallic) when it's infact F6 (bright green metallic). Tag matches VIN, matches rad support, trans, etc.

I love my RR.. she just needs a disc brake swap (260ft 60-0? No way..) and paint. Got to love the 4spd bench cars... no frills ROCKETS. a 3.91 suregrip will wake you up in the mornin'!

Building a wicked 451 stroker for the 'cuda this winter
smile.gif

James