Don't wait for 2012 Viper...buy now

Yellow32

Enthusiast
Reaction score
here's why:

FMVSS No. 126 Electronic Stability Control Systems: There is no Canadian equivalent to this standard, which will be phased in for vehicles manufactured on or after September 1, 2008 and apply to 100 percent of passenger cars and multipurpose passenger vehicles, trucks and buses with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 4,535 kg (10,000 lb) or less manufactured on or after September 1, 2011.

More here:

Rules: Electronic stability control systems; controls and displays; Correction, » Federal Register [FR Doc E7-11965] [49 CFR Part 571]

Once you realize that the current Viper is truly the end of the beast (by Federal Mandate) you might re-consider waiting.

In short, the 2012 Viper will be chock full of electronic nannies. We already have drive by wire, it would seem that "braking by wire" (ABS is merely an assist, you still have direct control of braking up to the threshold) will be next and who knows if these nannies will be 'defeatable', why take the chance?

-J

JoeCom05

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wait for 2012 Viper...don't buy now

Whenever you don't want the nannies (ESC) just turn them off
My experience is: Sport or track mode is lots of fun (Gallardo, Vette, Audi...)

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On the other hand, this may mean a lot more Vipers will sell. The few diehards weren't enough to keep the car alive as is. Poster is right - as a diehard, if you don't like the future buy now; or later at higher prices (wishful thinking).

OP
OP
Y

Yellow32

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Wait for 2012 Viper...don't buy now

===however, you cannot turn off what is not there...think of braking by wire, how do you turn that off? it will always route through "the brain", there will be no physical connection...

you are correct though, turn them off, if the option is given...

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Wait for 2012 Viper...don't buy now

Well said. The biggest problem will be getting the bugs worked out on first year production.

JoeCom05

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Can I not pay for them too? Both initial and maintenance?

I never had maintenance issues on ESC or pedals by wire even stearing power by wire or ABS.

What I like are the progressive - non linear - sport or track modes:
- harder stearing, shorter stearing angle
- feel and keep the rear end coming without loosing control
- direct & progressive throttle control (every SRT10 I drove had a to high bearing gap on the pedals)

Stop. No I'm not afraid about driving my SRT 10. I would like to have more horses at the wheel! That's why I've an eye on 08/09 verts on the market.

Do a testdrive on a BMW M5 or Audi R8 and don't forget to choose the settings I'm talking about.
I don't worry about higher tags for the 2012/13 Viper because of nannies. The systems are almost standard at automotive suppliers. Finding the right pre-settings might be a bigger issue for Dodge techs :confused: on a beast. (Aftermarket is different!)

Getting more fun out of it while making the snake safer:
Yes pls! :2tu:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang