Door Insulation

ViperDad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The recent chase on the battery drain has led me to another project. I have realized that the doors are a huge empty box for resonating the exhaust rumble. The cars are fitted with a decent stereo system but is neutralized by the pipes. I decided to shoot the door interior and the panel with urethane foam. Apologies if this has been previously discussed.
This has a tremendous damping on outside noise. The mod takes most of the day only because the foam needs time to set and is then followed with some "sculpturing" to remove some interference around the window travel and panel seating back on the door. I was also surprised by totally open cut around the latching lock at the back of the door. It doesn't take a lot, about an inch or so of thickness.
The foam is much lighter than the rubberized versions. It is about the consistency of Styrofoam and just as easy to work. It is easily cut with a knife or hacksaw blade. The slight downside is interference when having to fiddle with the other innards when they need attention. However the stuff is so weak it can easily be removed. The product is available in hardware places as Right Stuff.
With this success I'm going to pull the rear tire mudguards to see if it is another area for insulation. Anyone attempting this should make sure of a safe separation from the hot exhaust system.

OP
OP
V

ViperDad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Correction! Material is Great Stuff and comes in an orange/red can with a yellow cap.