Door open sensor/switch?

RobHook

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got a problem with my '94 RT/10 acting like the driver's door is open all the time. The dome light stays on and the door chime dings constantly unless I unplug it. I had the door panels off recently to install door poppers but forgot to figure out how the sensor works. From what I remember though, there's no obvious sensor anywhere. So...how DOES it work?

--Rob

OP
OP
R

RobHook

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I got no responses to this so I figured it out myself. Here's the situation: The latch mechanism inside the Viper door has another black plastic piece attached to the top of it. This piece contains a sensor that senses when the latch isn't fully latched. There are gear-like teeth on the top of the latch lever and the same kind of teeth conected to this position sensor. One mine, the cheap black plastic had broken slightly allowing the sensor's teeth to move upward and come disengaged from the latch lever's teeth. This meant it was out of alignment and no longer properly sensing the position of the latch.

Adding a screw to the side of the mechanism to better hold the two pieces together was the solution. Don't worry, it's much simpler than it sounds once you remove the mechanism and look at it.

--Rob

venomblue550

Viper Owner
Reaction score
so did you have to unbolt the latch mechanism and take it out and fix it or you just remove the door panel and stick your hands in there and fix it??i'm having problem with the light does NOT come on when i open the driver side door, my passenager side is just fine, thanks

OP
OP
R

RobHook

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I removed the door panel and the latch mechanism but that's just a matter of three torx bolts you take out from the side of the door. You have to remove the top seat belt mechanism to have enough room to take the latch mechanism out. If you've done any work like this before this is an easy one.

Before I'd suspect the latch mechanism though, I'd be more concerned about the wiring through the door jam on yours. I've had to replace mine TWICE so far. They break right where the door pivots. The first time I had to do this ALL of the wires were broken in the exact same place. Check that first.

--Rob