Door speakers stopped working.

01bee

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My door speakers in the drivers side door have stopped working, everything else in the door works fine. I have pulled the speaker out and all the wires are still connected. I have looked at the harness as it enters the door, and it appears to be intact. Any clue on where to start?

Eric

David

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Take an ohm meter and test to see if the speaker voice coil is still intact. If you get a low impedence reading, it's probably OK. If it reads way high (megohms or open) then the speaker driver needs replacing.

AJT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I read once the wires get pinched & break where they enter the door. Try moving the wire at that point & see if speaker comes back on.

my .02

OP
OP

01bee

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I checked the wire harness and it looks good, I ran out of daylight, but I will try checking the amp and swapping the left/right front leads tomorrow to rule out the amp. If the amp is OK I will start to trace the lines back until I find a break. Does anyone know if the speakers have a separate harness under the dash, or do the wires merge with the other wires coming through the door?

Eric

Fast Viper Dan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After you check every thing, and if every thing is ok, The wire harness through the door has failed on a vary high number of cars. First, one thing will fail (speaker) a while later the window will not work, then the door won't open.
Is your car under warrantee? take it in for service.
Good Luck,
Dan (with a repaired wire harness)

OP
OP

01bee

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How can I tell if the wire harness going through the door is bad? It appears to be intact, and in good condition.

OP
OP

01bee

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tried, got nothing, I am going to check this afternoon to make sure that the amp is putting out power to that channel, then just start to trace the lines back to the door. Any idea on where these things run?

RobHook

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This happened twice on my car. The wiring harness will look perfectly fine from the outside. If you cut into it, however, you will probably find that the wires are cleanly broken at the point where they pivot when the door opens and closes. In mine, ALL of the wires were broken in the exact same place. This happens to the driver's side door because it's used so much more than the passenger side. Mine is a Gen I so the part numbers I have don't help you but the theory is certainly the same. If you want to fix it yourself, it's pretty straight forward, especially since it sounds like you already have the door apart.

--Rob

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You gotta take off the rubber sleeve on the harness in the door hinge. Tug each and every wire and I'm sure you'll pull a few loose. This is very common. I've already soldered 2 wires on mine.

OP
OP

01bee

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wires all look good, I am going to try to run some new lines straight from the amp to the speakers and see if this fixes the problem, will update tomorrow. Thanks for all of your input.

redlightrich

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the harness terminates at a rectangular plug under the left knee bolster. trace the colors to the speaker plug and ohm them out. imho, the window and door release cant be too far behind. harness is not too expensive and can be changed in about 45 minutes if the door panel is already off. good luck, rich.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang