Drifting contest in a Viper

GARY J

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think its badass. I'm sure it takes a lot of skill to make it look easy like that. You can't just go out there and do that on your first try. As stupid as some may think it is, that was very skillful. I'm surprised you guys didn't like it.

yellow94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Eldiablo! Very entertaining video. Now I KNOW what to do with my old tires before replacing them this spring.... :eek: :eek: :eek:

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cheap skinny tires, low horsepower, rear drive, lose suspension = great/easy drifting car. Nissan 240 SX is the perfect canidate.

Viper is not. Not saying it can't be done, but why?

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
nope. but burning up 600+ bucks in tires sure is :-D

But smoking tires at the 1/4 mile track is OK :rolleyes:

1/4 mile you have to get the tires hot to stick. your not doing it just to do it.

If you are burning out street tires..... you're doing it just to do it..... no need to get the tires hot if you are drag racing on street tires.

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I confess to drifing both my Viper and Supra Turbo (previous car).

It's really easy. Get on the gas, break the rears loose and countersteer to maintain a steady direction. Your foot does most of the steering. If you feel you are going a little too fast a light tap on the brakes and back on the gas corrects it. It looks very skilled and dramatic but to paraphrase "any bonehead can do it".

The lower the lateral G's of the car, the easier it gets. That's why it was always easier in the rain. Plus it reduces tire wear. The Supra had a 0.92-0.96 lateral G depending on whom you asked, 320hp and 255 rears and was easy to drift. The Viper has 0.96-1.00, 450hp and 355 rears making it much harder so I would drift it in the wet only in 2nd or 3rd gear.

Practise makes perfect. I used to practise in the parking lot of Hanscom AFB at night using real cars as markers for about 5 minutes and then I would scoot. But that was about 7 years ago. I got bored of it eventually.

And for the record, I'm not Japanese ;-)

-Avi

Donzi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
TNT2000,
thanks, very cool!! Looks exactly like mine!!
BADDASP!!

SRT 10 2004

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Viper vid isnt nearly as impressive, those **** would drive cirles around you sorry to say, but still looked pretty cool