Drive Line Vibration

DPViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was driving on a private road course and starting about 80/90 mph there is a vibration from the rear end. Its not terrible but noticable - like a wheel out of balance. I changes wheels/tires and it is still there. Has anyone else had this problem? How do they determine the problem? Our long time Viper tech/dealership is gone and I'm not sure I trust the other local tech. I'm sure Mark J. at Woodhouse could find it but I hate to ship the car for something small (I hope). I've done Eibachs and a 3.55 gear. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Brake Dust

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Were the tires road force balanced if not try that. As I understand it there is a balancer that determines the high side of the tire and the rim and then you spin the tire so that they oppose each other. Call Tator he has this new super machine. MY 2

Reaction score
Look for a thrown wheel weight first. Also if you have been "using" the curbing you could have a bent inner rim.

Are these stock wheels and tires? If not are they hub centric?

OP
OP
D

DPViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've got the same vibration from both sets of tire/wheels (Sidewinders with PS1s and H wheels with PS2s) so I don't think it is the tires or wheels. I can feel it in the seat. Thanks

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
See if you can swap wheels with a friend and test it at same speed. If it's ok, then your wheels might need to be rebalanced. Tire wear and flat spots can also cause vibrations.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sounds like a u-joint possibly- u just will have to start pokin around it and what u find

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If not wheels, then the next guess is driveline. As bluesrt said, u-joints on the halfshaft or driveshaft.

I had a fairly bad u-joint and the only symptom was a "crunchy" noise on start. So now I do check them at every oil change.

While you are under the car, look at the transmission mount, too. They do strange things in higher gears and speeds.

FastestBusaAround

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had U-joint issues on previous vehicles that display those exact symptoms...and was a quick/cheap and simple repair. It certainly doesn't sound like wheels/tires, but more like driveline. I'd guess U-joints.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rmoore8950