Driver door does not open when pressing the button, GEN II RT/10

NTIDOTE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
GM All,

I would greatly appreciate it if someone can help me figure out whats going on with my driver side door. I'm not able to open it by pressing the button or from the inside. Only way to open it if from the emergency latch.

Thanks in Advance

72hemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like the wires in the door harness have broken. Fairly common problem on Gen II cars as that harness makes a 180 degree bend while opening and closing the doors. The replacement harness is still available but it's like $400.

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is the car immobilised? Are the key fobs working? Battery fully charged?

My door buttons sometimes lock me out, just need to press the key fob to activate the buttons. Is it happening on one door only? If so that maybe a wire problem?

kratedisease

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like the wires in the door harness have broken. Fairly common problem on Gen II cars as that harness makes a 180 degree bend while opening and closing the doors. The replacement harness is still available but it's like $400.

YES, I also had this problem and it was ALSO the door jamb wires that got frayed. VERY COMMON PROBLEM WHERE THE WIRES GET FRAYED AND DAMAGED WITH TIME. At times early in the issue was intermittant then went totally dead. I agree you must check the door jamb wire harness for fray or damage wires.... you can have a local auto electrical diagnostic shop do the repair without replacing the harness for $100...

denniskgb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Happened to me as soon as i bought my car. Took it to Dodge and had it rebuilt. Whole side was shot due to frequent opening and closing plus heat. Just like mentioned above.

Rickman6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
absolutely correct...the wires are most probably the culprit....takes 20 minutes tops to fix..

OP
OP
N

NTIDOTE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks all for your response. I really appreciate it.

Are there instructions somewhere how to get to the wires and fix them?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960