Driving cross country in a Viper!

ElDiablo Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As many of you know I'm relocating from NYC to San Jose in the next few weeks. I'm thinking of taking the Viper on a cross country drive. I'll get to experience the America in an American car...what do you think? Has anybody done that? Do any of the Viper guys want to meet me on the way?

:usa:

GraphiteGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Once drove from Dallas to Cincinnati in my GTS. Great trip, uneventful and did not even miss cruise control. About 1000 miles.

Once spent 3 months driving a Triumph Spitfire convertible throughout the continental US. 19,886 miles. That was a little longer trip.

Go for it and tell us about it.

Peter A

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do it! Drove from Atlanta to Las Vegas and back for VOI #?. Was great fun except for the lack of cruise control which left my right leg stiff and sore at the end of each day.

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I cannot believe there are not more posts on this one. I have now had four vipers and have taken each one on at least one cross country trip. One of the great drives is up Highway One from Southern California to Washington. I went to VOI7 to Nashville then to the Midwest and back home to Arizona(5000 miles). I alway look for scenic routes and take the time to explore some out of the way routes. In May I am heading back to the Midwest probably though Telluride and some of the back roads in Colorado with my SRT. I will drive to VOI8 to Dallas. Enjoy your car and take the trip! :2tu:

Ron Hickey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I took three weeks off work in 1999 and drove from VA to Las Vegas and VOI-5. With some sightseeing thrown in, it was a 7000 mile roundtrip. Also drove to VOI's in St Louis and Nashville. The GTS is not an uncomfortable car to cruise in. Pick a scenic route, take your time, and have fun. (Craig has a good idea on taking along some octane booster.) Only potential problem right now is the possibility of wintry weather in the higher western altitudes.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I picked up my 98 GTS from woodhouse in Nebraska and drove it home to NJ....NO PROBLEM....then this winter drove it to Floriduh

dont worry about it, do it.

93Cobra

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drove my GTS from Dallas to So Cal, it was great. Got a ticket though. Oh well.....

JWVIPER

VCA Member
Reaction score
sounds like a really costly trip considering gas prices now a days. should be awesome though...

You could always pull out 6 cyls on the hwy for better mileage !

Go for it, I hope to do it some day, DM check your PM. JW

Reaction score
I have routinely traveled to Minnesota and Colorado and Washington from Montana in the Viper. These are generally 2500 mile round trips. The only thing you might want to watch for is spring and fall weather, which can leave you unexpectedly snow bound for a few days out in the mtn west. My other advice is to always start a long haul with a good set of tires. You can't get 335's just anywhere. Other than that, use common sense and have fun.