Driving Instruction

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just completed my 1st Driver's Course with Cascade Sports Car Club at PIR.

I learned a ton and improved my driving from 40mph to over 60mph during the day. I learned that Vipers need to be driven like 'making love to a woman'. Although vettes, and ordinary performance cars like it rough and agressive, the Viper reacts to aggressively to be treated rough. ie. normal car needs 4" of steering wheel movement to go around a slight corner. In the same corner the Viper only requires 1" of movement to steer around the corner. It takes a half sec or so to move a steering wheel 4" and a quarter of that to turn the Viper's wheel 1". I had little problem adjusting to the shorter steering wheel movements, but had a tendency to move the wheel the 1" fast, which is bad. I spent much of the day trying to slow all my steering, throttle and braking inputs down to slow speed. Although JonB had me running many good lines and smoothed out I still need to work on the "smooth and gentle".

That's right, I had JonB from Online Shopping - Home as my instructor. Now I know why he's abrupt on the phone sometimes. At slowdown point on the straightaway Jon answered his cell saying that he was on the racetrack in a car at 140mph and couldn't hear through his helmet, please call back later. Now that's service!!! Haha, personal service without an answering machine.

Jon provided his time and pacecar for free to help out a few of us non-experienced wannabes, lOL. Jon got to instruct myself, Denise in her Viper and took over instructing a BB vette. I'd like to add that he instruucted the student to turn the TC off during his second run because it was slowing the car and limiting the student's abilities. Jon also got to supply Viper rides to the TV cameraman, myself and the volunteer security guard during everyone else's lunch break. Yah, it'll be on TV. Thanks to the CSCC and expecially Jon B I had a total blast. I figure another 2 track days I'll even be good at it. There is nowhere on the street that you can get the opportunity to even open up a stock Viper to what we were doing on the track, so therefor, you can never learn to drive your Viper anywhere near it's limits without a race track and an instructor makes your learning time extremely quick.

Most instructors don't want to sit in a big hp car never mind take a passenger seat while someone else does the driving at high speeds. It's only a special few that are willing to risk death and destruction. I'd like to thank all those guys, espcially Jon for that instruction.

I drove 900mi. to Portland, visited my buddy Bill at Barrett's Automotive. Jon had sold me a set of PS2s and shipped them to Barrett Automotive for me and I got them installed on School Day. By the time I got to the track I had about 30 mi. on the tires. Track times the tires were great and really pulled the corners well. I used a full tank running track day and when I had trouble finding my wallet Jon handed me $50 so that I could fill my car again without losing a turn around the track, thanks Jon.

I found out that I had tuning problems when I started around the track as the car was puffing black smoke and crapping badly after half throttle. Half throttle was OK as it would only help on the straights and I usually slowed down on the straights so that when I sped through the sets of corners I usually caught up to the cars in front of before coming out of the corners. Going slow down the straights gave me enough room to slide through the corners at high speed. What a rush. I demonstrated to Jon that I am experienced at 'recovery' as I squiggled and fishtailed through a few corners and regained control without going off the track or getting too far from my 'line'. Recovery I learned on the street!

The weather was interesting as we started dry, got some speed happening and then it started to sprinkle, rain, dry out, then sprinkle again. Great for experience anyway. We also learned about the difference between traction on the all new asphalt surface and old cement Chicane. Next was how slippery the polished cement surface got with a small amount of rain. Denise spun her '01 R/T Viper a couple times, straightened and continued with her line. The next Mazda Pro car spun off the track and tagged the wall with the pass front of his car then took off leaving his bumper cover at the tire barricade. As Icame around a set of corners I noticed dirt sprayed all of the next corner then saw the red Lancer off in the dirt and the yellow flag, all in that order. See, should have been the yellow flag first - need more experience at that.

All the people I met were very helpfull and a lot of fun. One of the track guys gave me "thumbs up" twice, it took me a moment to realize that that he wasn't telling me he was agreeign with what I was saying - he was telling me to get my ass "the hell off the short crash wall", but he was smiling while he did it.

Jon mentioned that he has also done Cop driver training, which is pretty much the same as what we were doing. I recommend that everyone take a driver's training course, even if it's just for the fun of the experience. You'll also finish the course a better driver, but that's just a benenfit of having a blast. I'm working on my tune and bought a wideband sensor and guage because the dyno tuner I stopped at told me that he'd need to study my instructions for the tables before he could help me with my tune (I didn't have the paper instructions for him to read). So I'll be learning to tune during the next few weeks, then back to the track for more fun.

Ted

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad to see Viper owners get track instruction. :2tu:

HHIViper you have Viper Days coming to Virginia International next month Jul 11-13. Take advantage of it. Viper Days is one of the best run organizations and VIR is one of the best if not THE best track in the country.

OP
OP
R

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks HHI. Drag raced all my life. If you spin the tires at the strip, you instal slicks or bigger tires. When you're on a road course, you slip the tires slightly all the way around the corners to go fast. Totally different experience. Instead of full throttle you spend all your time, except the straights, easing onto or off the throttle and exercising control. Loved it.

Ted

DRose

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a great time at PIR with you Ted. Thanks for trying to protect my identity since I was a spinner sinner that day. :drive: :omg: Since it is better to own up to your mistakes, I Doris Rose spun in turn two. It was a good learning experience because I have never lost control before and always wondered how I would react. Lucky for me and the car we never left the track and it was the first lap so everyone was going slow, no collisions. I didn't let the incident effect me in a negative way except that I was a little shy until the last session. I love the driving schools because they make me feel 100% confident when I am on the public roads. Too many Viper owners (and lot attendants) have avoidable accidents that just one school could have prevented.

I couldn't be more fortunate to have Jon B as my driving instructor or as I now call him my driving Trainer. He knows exactly what my car can handle so I can push it to the limit and know the boundaries for myself. About 7-8 years ago I was fortunate to get Cindi Lux as an instructor. The lasting lesson I learned from her was to look ahead.

As a perk for working with Jon he got me a ride with Tommy Archer at VOI in Dallas. That was an experience. Driving the Comp Coupe he was so smooth and he held the wheel and shifter very gentle. So when I am driving at the track and get tensed up I think to myself "Be like Tommy, relax". The last celebrity ride I had was with Ralph Gilles at an undisclosed track in an undisclosed car on an undisclosed day. Boy was I surprised that the designer with GQ looks was so skilled. SMOOTH. That is the key. Don't mash the accelerator.:nono: Roll on the power.:D

I am blessed. I will go and spin no more. :2tu:

PS Don't let an instructor turn off your traction control completely. Jon turned the Corvette to Sport mode once the track was dry.

Ted, Jon must have different teaching methods for men. How do you concentrate on the track when comparing driving a Viper to making love to a woman?;)

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I just completed my 1st Driver's Course with Cascade Sports Car Club at PIR. I learned a ton and improved my driving from 40mph to over 60mph during the day...... I learned that Vipers need to be driven like 'making love to a woman'...... The weather was interesting as we started dry, got some speed happening and then it started to sprinkle, rain, dry out, then sprinkle again. Great for experience anyway.... Ted.

Ted and Doris, GOOD FOR YOU for coming out, even in the wet / damp.

Ted has 800+ HP and a hair-trigger accelerator, and that can be frightening DRY! When Ted said he improved from 40 mph to 60+ he means some of the tighter CORNERS!

Doris has magnesium track wheel w/ slickies, but not THIS wet day, so her (older) Sports did not handle as well as we hoped. Since she 'outed' herself (not 'Denise', her SPIN name only!) Ill add a photo of Doris 'n Tommy if I can......[thanx Chad!]

T/C : As Doris noted, the Vette had 3 levels of TC: We used FULL ON TC in the wet, and COMPETITION MODE in the damp..... never full-off with a novice, thank you............good way to get sued! And my cell phone was meant be OUT and OFF. Sorry!

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had a great time at PIR with you Ted. Thanks for trying to protect my identity since I was a spinner sinner that day. :drive: :omg: Since it is better to own up to your mistakes, I Doris Rose spun in turn two. It was a good learning experience because I have never lost control before and always wondered how I would react. Lucky for me and the car we never left the track and it was the first lap so everyone was going slow, no collisions. I didn't let the incident effect me in a negative way except that I was a little shy until the last session. I love the driving schools because they make me feel 100% confident when I am on the public roads. Too many Viper owners (and lot attendants) have avoidable accidents that just one school could have prevented.

I couldn't be more fortunate to have Jon B as my driving instructor or as I now call him my driving Trainer. He knows exactly what my car can handle so I can push it to the limit and know the boundaries for myself. About 7-8 years ago I was fortunate to get Cindi Lux as an instructor. The lasting lesson I learned from her was to look ahead.

As a perk for working with Jon he got me a ride with Tommy Archer at VOI in Dallas. That was an experience. Driving the Comp Coupe he was so smooth and he held the wheel and shifter very gentle. So when I am driving at the track and get tensed up I think to myself "Be like Tommy, relax". The last celebrity ride I had was with Ralph Gilles at an undisclosed track in an undisclosed car on an undisclosed day. Boy was I surprised that the designer with GQ looks was so skilled. SMOOTH. That is the key. Don't mash the accelerator.:nono: Roll on the power.:D

I am blessed. I will go and spin no more. :2tu:

PS Don't let an instructor turn off your traction control completely. Jon turned the Corvette to Sport mode once the track was dry.

Ted, Jon must have different teaching methods for men. How do you concentrate on the track when comparing driving a Viper to making love to a woman?;)

As far as the last question above Viper driving and making love - I use the same method for both since the excitment factor is the same, isn't it the same for you?

You study the curves, ride them around gently, applying power until there's room then 'slam the throttle', sometimes 'brushing the brakes, other times pushing hard? Going 'hard down the long straights you wait for it, then reverse acceleration until it times to ease 'into' the throttle as you ease 'into' the corner and prepare yourself to thrust out of the corner while shifting gears for the next corner??? Drag racing is different in that mostly you jsut slam the pedal and it's over quickly, but road racing takes a 'slow hand' and gentle 'manipulations' while working many "controls" at one time. That's the recipe for success, right?

I worked on my Vec 2 program and now have gotten rid of the 'crap'. I'm short on power, but my cars great at least. It is much easier to drive when traction (straight dry road) is available around 70mph.

I thought your spin was awesome, it showed you've got the 'balls' to get on it and the 'wherewithall' to only lose it a little. No damage, and only a few seconds lost before you were at speed again. It says something for you that you recovere so fast. Hopefully, if I get a spin or two I'll be quick to get going again as well.

Thanks for the corrections on the TC, I got my info 3rd hand and that's why I needed correction.

Took the wife's Charger down our gravel road. Unbelievable! Trying to go 60mph and because of all the corners the TC was SLOOOOW until the straights. I hate it, although I may not say that sliding on ice???

Ted

OP
OP
R

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wow do the new PS2s ever work well in the rain!!! Got my Vec2 reprogrammed and the car is running well again. I can't believe the difference the tires make in the rain. With the runcraps I hydroplaned and crashed because of highway puddles. With the PS1s on my GTS I never went over the speed limit and they had a tendency to 'slip' a little. Driving in a Thunderstorm testing my GTS I was actually going over 60mph and applying throttle through puddles!!! I LOVE these tires. You were right JonB, I'm really impressed.

Ted

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
A lot of those rubber marbles are from track rubber that you PICKED UP from slick-shod cars who laid it down before you. That sticky rubber prefers to bond with your warm tires, rather than the cold (damp) asphalt.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4