Dropped a valve, but round the clock work to have it back for the Finals!

Reaction score
At the Viper Days race in College Station, on my 2nd lap (just after my warm-up lap), I dropped a valve,
You must be registered for see images
leading to a cascading list of failures (valve dropped into piston, broke the cam, metal pieces stopped the oil pump, spun the bearings, etc., etc.) My engine is a stroker with 30,000 miles on it (the car has 55,000 miles on it) and 1.5 years of racing, (built by TNT). It looks like the initial failure was the valve retaining clip, but we don't really know that for sure. This is the same engine we had a nitrous explosion and that could have damaged or weakened parts, (we looked for weakness but didn't find any at the time).

Even though TNT has a house full of cars and a waiting list months long, they are fitting me into the evenings to get me rebuilt by this weekend for the Viper Days Finals. When, Roy heard about my problem, he said, "bring it to my house". He and Joe have been working around the clock to get me running, and the prognosis is good, but we're not there yet.

Special thanks to Sandy Emmerly (I hope I spelled his name right!). He got the Gen 1 main bearings personally for Roy and I (I have no idea how he came up with them, they are out of circulation). Thanks again!

Other's came to my rescue as well: Bobby Archer offered his Speedvision engine (never even put in a car, fresh!), John Hennessey offered me his car, Race Craft and Rick-A-Shay Racing offered to install new crate engines, (I know I'm forgetting people, it seemed like everyone offered to help! The Viper Days Family is such a special thing!)

Anyway, I just wanted to say thanks!

Paul Fischer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is the kind of experience that keeps Viper fans fiercely loyal to the marque. I hope Daimler Chrysler appreciates what is happening in the trenches with their premiere American car. I'll even offer to drive his Diablo up as a backup grocery getter if need be

It's a good thing to see good things happen for good people. Thanks to everybody helping my buddy Jeff out.

OP
OP
S
Reaction score

Great news! Roy and Joe were able to get all the parts and stay awake (most of the week) to get the engine bored, stroked, blue printed, balenced, new stroker crank, new cam, new rods, new bearings, valves, etc. The block and heads were fixable.

I can't thank TNT and all the people there enough for all the late nights, hard work and herorics done to get me ready for the finals tommorrow!

I pick it up today in Houston and the breakin is going to have to be the drive to Fort Worth...(Roy and Joe want me to drive it around in circles to get some miles on it before the race!)...Paul, that would be your job, "should you decide to take it"....

Anyway, Thanks a million!

Reaction score
Jeff I got your e-mail with the directions and numbers. But when I e-mailed you back and got a message that you will be out of the office until the 27th. I need to talk with you before you leave to come up here on Thanksgiving. So if you have another e-mail let me know it. Thanks again. I also sent you a private message.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456