Drove around with a Countach and a couple old 911's today

Rizzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Went for a cruise with a guy that bought an 89 Countach. It's crazy the amount of attn it still gets when parked. You can tell it was every kids dream to own one as young and old flock around it every time we stopped. I felt bad for the 911's owners. Everyone would walk up to the Lambo first, then mine and then glance at the old Porsche's. Had lots of questions about both but I'll be the first to admit it was the first time my car was not the center of attention..LOL.. Parking it beside the Lambo was like parking a Viper beside a Vette..:) :) :) ..... I didnt think after all these years it would still draw that much attn. It was cool to see but I sure wouldnt want to have to drive it very often much less ever have to work on it. It did not look like fun to try and get at anything in there.

BoeingMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the Gen 2 viper is nicer looking than the countach anyway. ..AND the Vette can hold it's own any day the week as well. I love 'em too.

Last edited:

treed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love the coutach, especially if before the "ugly" bumpers were mandated. Throw the front and rear wing on, and what could be a better example of the super cars of the 80's... Definitely wouldn't want to work on one, however, and I've heard there is basically zero visibility when you are driving...

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Countach has always been #1 on my list. Yes, the Murci looks even better, but Countach is a classic. Especially with the wing and without those ugly USA bumpers. Georgeous car.

Zzapper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sure wish i could have come with but maybe next time, do you know when they are meeting again?

ViperJames

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That Countach is still one hot car, no matter how dated the interior looks. It is just such an exotic looking car, very cool! Yea the old Porshe's are cool cars, but nothing special visually, they are very basic looking cars. Now a brand new Ruf Twin Turbo would be VERY special looking!

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's my old toy I used to cruise around with a few buddies.... Yes, the C/T got all the attention as usual. Heck, it looks like a space ship for Gods sake! I get alot of attention in the Viper, but back when I had that car, I have never seen so many cameras hanging out of cars (back before cell phone cameras were around) and friggin video cameras.... Like the paparazi was always around when I went out on sat evening cruises. I had this car for 5 years and sold it for $1,000.00 less than what I bought it for, so the value was incredible. I didn't really want to let it go, but when I started looking into buying a Viper, I was totally ready to do the trade off. I do still get alot of looks and "thumbs up" in the Viper though and like I said, I'm VERY happy with the swap!

snap0098.jpg

lambo10.JPG

012.jpg

Serena_04_smaller.JPG

oh yea.... mine was an 86' replica. :omg:

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't mean to Ninja this thread or anything.....

Replica :omg: wow looks very good! what size of motor was in it?

It only had a 2.8L V6, but was actually pretty strong after I threw on a few mods in a 2800 lb car. I actually smoked the big 345's in the rear quite often, but it was only about a high 14 sec car in the 1/4, lol! The engine sound was incredibly close (yes, I know, sounds doubtful but it really was) to a real C/T that lived around my neighborhood, with the way I had it set up (no cats, 12" glasspack/w resonators). A few people mistook hearing my car, and looked over to see my red replica, only to see the black one from my neigborhood. Of course at higher RPM's that was not the case, only on low-mid range. I never really had problems with the car and I drove it friggin hard. Was a great investment! Still one of the top replicas in existance, currently located in Lousianna.

Here is a few vids, but the quality *****.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osrzCl4ugSQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NadJy_SLsGw

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Countach was my dream car till the Viper. I believe it was 1985 when I got a ride in a black one. The driver put be back in my seat once. The ride was priceless. Very timeless supercar styling.

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After having my car for 5 years, I found out how hard they really are to drive...

1. The blind spots are absolutely TERRIBLE!!!!! Right hand lane changes can only be made on hopes and prayers. Luckily, my car had electric mirrors, so I was able to use my passanger side mirror joystick, to sweep the mirror left & right checking for any possible traffic before executing a right lane change. Of course this meant I had to allow time to prepare for this and I never could make a "sudden" lane change.

2. Car was low. My Viper is lowered a few inches, but the C/T was terrible for getting in and out of tight banks. The wheel base makes a difference in the front area. I had to plan trips out much more on that car, than I do with the lowered Viper.

3. If the car flipped upside down, your doors don't open.... They don't open out like normal car doors. Unfortunately this is the case with Diablos and Murcis too.... However, because of the physics of the cars, they normally don't flip.

4. Impossible to back up into a parking spot. If you ever see a C/T owner backing into a parking spot, you will see him sitting on the left side "sill" area, hanging half his body out of the car while strategically maneuvering his feet and hands to work the gas, clutch, brake and steering. Quite entertaining actually.

I learned allot about driving and watching others. Anticipating their move and paying attention to how many cars were around me and who was driving those cars. Was it a soccer mom in a mini van, an elderly man in a Cadillac, or a young teenager, creeping up on my left in his Honda civic after he just flew by that mustang on 20's.... These are the things you learn to pay attention to and anticipate their next move. When you drive a car like that, you aren't just driving for yourself, you are also driving for all the cars around you, for your own protection. Most of the time, people didn't even see me. I'm 6ft tall and when I stood up beside my car, I could take my hand, slide it across the top of the roof toward my body and keeping my hand level, as I bring it in toward me, my hand was directly at my belt line. YES, I'm serious, the car IS that low (waist high) and people do not see you half the time. I once got a trophy at a car show and the trophy is about 2 inches taller than the cars roof. I realized what it must be like as a motorcycle rider because people do not see you.... now I pay much more attention more to bikes on the road.

These are just a few things I could think of, to give you an idea of what it's like driving a car like that in typical driving conditions.

THE VIPER IS SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH MORE USER FRIENDLY IT'S NOT EVEN FUNNY.

OP
OP
R

Rizzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Frog. Thats funny. All the things you said were things I noticed when driving around with him. When I followed him and we were at a stop light I could see over top of the car easily. Thats how low that thing is. As for the getting in and out...no thank you. What a pain. And the backing up thing was funny too. Exactly as you described it. Hanging out the car with the door up sitting on the sill..LOL... Funny to watch. But as far as attention.... no comparison. The Lambo wins hands down. Would I trade my Viper for one? No way.

YouWish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It looks like I am in the minority here but that Countach is fugly!!! Don't sell the GTS short men it was voted as the 3 best exotic of the Century 1900-1999. McClaren,Diablo then the GTS. (source DuPont Registry)

NSXER

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The Countach is quickly becoming a classic. I think the LP400S is quintessential Countach though. I thoroughly enjoy driving both.

Attachments

• Countach 1.jpg
    Countach 1.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

Axtellboy

Viper Owner
Reaction score

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
man, those Countach's SCREAM 80's........ Cool car, but a bit dated looking..

IL96RT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Even though they are terribly dated, I mean usually the interior looks like it was pieced together, the body is timeless. I had the poster of the 85 anniversary Countach on my wall as a kid and dreamed and dreamed about owning one. But even now, to get in to a 25 yr old Countach is like 80-100K and you know you are going to have a ton of high dollar fixes that need to be taken care of. I love my 96 Viper but I would like to own a Black countach w/ the gold rims and of course the giant wing on the back

GTSjbud

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was also an avid Countach fan. I had the Countach Alpine poster on my wall and dreamed of owning one some day. IMO the best looking Countach is a 1988 white on white QV (quattro valve) European model...with no ugly bumpers.

RayG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I can tell you all first hand. I sold my Roe Supercharged GTS a few months ago to get a Countach. I got a 88 white on white and love it. It is so much harder to drive than a Viper but worth it. Nothing against the Viper as I plan to get another one eventually but for me the Countach is much more exciting. (although the Viper is faster) I would have kept the Viper but I couldn't afford both at the time. It came down to the fact that Countach prices are rising quickly and Viper prices aren't. That being said I can't drive the Countach as much as I did the Viper. You constantly have to worry about it and the attention gets embarassing but once on an open highway all is forgotten!

Attachments

• picture.JPG
    picture.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 23

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lambo.jpg

Vipers and Lambo's rule!!

I love the Diablo 6.0. I feel that is the best year for the Diablo but unfortunately my taste is pretty expensive, since I feel that the car looks best in Orange and there were only 4 sent to the US in that color. So as a result, they are the most expensive. Oops!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang