Dry shot of nitrous ( Who has been there??)

BlackACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would like to run a dry shot of Nitrous on my 96 GTS. A 100 shot would be perfect. I would like to run a very simple kit. Just a window switch and a bottle heater. How would I go about enriching the fuel for just the 100 shot dry?? Would the Vec 1 I have help any?? Any info is welcome.

OP
OP
B

BlackACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats a $1000 system. If I wanted do go that route. I would do NX wet kit and pick up a ton more power for less.

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello,

One of our customers from Naples, Florida recently dynoed his 97 GTS at 563 RWHP with our exhaust system and basic "dry" nitrous system. This kit netted him @ 115 RWHP (thats 130+ at the flywheel). This system uses a controller to optimize fuel delivery to the engine during WOT/NOS application.

The NX system is not a dry system. It taps into your engines fuel system for nitrous supplementation. This is ok so long as a/f ratios are carefully monitored.

Feel free to contact me should you have any questions regarding our dry system.

Tom

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
NOS brand uses a modification that fools the PCM into thinking that the air temp is -20 degrees. It changes the resistance in the circuit that monitors the intake air temp and the coolant temp. The Vec 1 is nice for some applications, not N2O.

Fast Freddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i run a wet kit on my drag boat. that would be nos cheater system 4 dual carb applications. the system can spray anywhere from a 100 hp shot to a 250 hp shot. i run a dry nos kit on my 2001 honda cbr 929 motorcycle. i can adjust that one from 25hp-40hp shot. i have a nos dry kit 4 my 2001 camaro ss that i will be installing next year (75hp-125 hp). i have burned over 500 lbs of nytrus in my drag boat and never had a problem. gotta luv the spray. i will be getting nos dry kit 4 my viper. since i have no desire to drag race my viper, but instead road race in the future. my use 4 the nos will be used in 6th gear only. i have gone 180 mph in 5th gear when my car was bone stock. i want go 200 mph in 6th gear. so i am gonna spray the motor when i shift into 6th gear at 180 mph. btw i did this with my motorcycle. the bike would not pull 6th gear with the stock gearing and my heavy *** at 3000+ ft. elevation. i was hp limited to 161 mph in 5th gear. i geared the bike down and it would pull 6th gear but i was still only going 161 mph. so i re-geared it back 2 stock and sprayed the motor when i shifted into 6th gear at 161 mph and wadda ya know i hit 175 mph.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats a $1000 system. If I wanted do go that route. I would do NX wet kit and pick up a ton more power for less.

You said 100hp and dry shot. Thats a nos5180, its the only dry shot around that I know of. 100 hp give or take is all you will safely get dry (no propane or fuel) I have a BTR propane/nitrous for sell and also have a nos 5180 I might sell. Both are used in excellent condition and have only been on one car. Also the 5180 kit is the base kit for Tom's nos/propane. Does nos/propane work ? Ask anybody that was at the drag race at Bowling Green. The two fastest mod cars were BTR cars. p.s. I would also consider nos/propane a dry kit since both would be in a gaseous state in the intake. (Is that right Tom ? )

OP
OP
B

BlackACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My comment about the NX kit was about the wet system. That is the only way to get an NX kit is wet. If I was going to spend a $1000 it would be for more than 100HP and definitely wet. I was looking for just a little extra punch with out alot of hassle.

Fast Freddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
not sure what that vec-1 does but if it advances your timing that is not good. if anything u want to retard your timing when u spray. if u run a dry kit the stock timing should be ok as long as u run 100 octane unleaded race gas. also i would go 1 step colder on my spark plugs with a dry shot and narrow the gap on the spark plugs. personally if i were going to spray big doses from a wet kit i would do all of the above + retard my timing and have forged pistons 2.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For some reason when tuning a NOS engine, the VEC1 does not adjust immediately, there is a lag in the adjustment process. The whole key with NOS is consistency, the VEC1 hurts the tuning process. In addition, you cannot independently adjust a/f and timing. One last thing, if the injectors are maxed out the VEC1 does you no good which could be the case with a dry 100 shot. All that said, I would be the first to use the VEC1 on a NA engine with any sort of modification

HP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wonder if I can relay the VEC1 out of the loop when the N20 is engaged???

Gerald, did you forget to take your afternoon dose of Ritalin.
You can relay anything on or off, and since the Nitrous is switched on and off,
it would be no problem, .....but don't get too carried away, it just makes
things more complicated.

* If you have your heart set on it, I'll send you a wiring scheme to
accomplish it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4