DSE (Doug Shelby Engineering) Question

dirkbonn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I recently aquired a 2010 Viper coupe. I'm considering a couple add-ons from DSE.

1. Airbox Intake Heat Shield

2. Quick Release Battery Cover with Battery Tender Connector

You can veiw these items here: http://dougshelbyengineering.com/Viper.htm
Does anyone have any opinions, pro or con, regarding these two items? Do they work? Are they worth adding to my Viper? Or just anything you have questions or ideas about that I may not have thought of?
Anyone who has firsthand knowledge regarding either of these two items would be invaluable to me.

Thanks,

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
The heat shield has been well described on the VOA forum. It is a high quality item though I do not currently have one. The battery covers are a great upgrade...making access to the battery which is both a convenience a safety advantage. I have 3 of said battery covers. They are very well designed and manufactured...a hallmark of Doug's work !!

SSGNRDZ_28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the interest and congratulations on your new Viper. Thanks Steve. As Steve said there are quite a few posts on the heat shield on the other forum.

The heat shield is in stock and the battery cover is nearly sold out (I have 1 left). Everyone has been happy with the quality and function of both items. There is also more information on my Facebook page.

Pros of the battery cover: lighter than stock, easy and quick to remove, easy access to the battery tender connector, better quality materials
Pros of the heat shield: Reduced intake air temp meanding more power under any driving condition, aluminum thumb screws instead of plastic. Cons: Adds a bit of weight (<4 lbs).

Any questions please let me know.

Thanks
Doug

OP
OP
D

dirkbonn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ordered the heat shield early this morning. Also oredered the 1/8th inch Dynamat from Amazon. About $46 w/free shipping.

The battery cover with battery tender connector is going to be next.

The heat shield promises to be a great addition to my new toy!

SSGNRDZ_28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for your order of the heat shield! Unfortunately someone else just purchased the last battery cover. I may try a group purchase in the future but my cost has gone up on these since the first run so I need to evaluate my options.

OP
OP
D

dirkbonn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Your welcome. the heat sheild arrived in two days, that excellent service. Now I'm just waiting for the 1/8th inch Dynamat to arrive from Amazon.

Yes I noticed the battery cover showed "Sold Out" on your website. That's ok because I was going to order that a little later anyway. A group purchase would be someting I would definitely be interested in taking advantage of.

Ca_viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am the someone else that purchased the battery cover. Very nice and quality product. Highly recommended. Sorry, didn't know I was getting the last one, but happy I did. Ordering the heat shields next!!

Thanks for your order of the heat shield! Unfortunately someone else just purchased the last battery cover. I may try a group purchase in the future but my cost has gone up on these since the first run so I need to evaluate my options.

OP
OP
D

dirkbonn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Not a problem Ca viper, Doug had mentioned that he only had one battery cover left but plenty of heat shields, but I wanted the heat shield first. I got the heat shield but haven't installed it yet, waiting for the Dynamat from Amazon because I don't want to have to do the job twice.

Ca_viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Great. I just ordered the heat shield as well. Good luck with your build!!

Not a problem Ca viper, Doug had mentioned that he only had one battery cover left but plenty of heat shields, but I wanted the heat shield first. I got the heat shield but haven't installed it yet, waiting for the Dynamat from Amazon because I don't want to have to do the job twice.

OP
OP
D

dirkbonn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You welcome Doug. Any estimate when you might have the battery covers back in stock? Not looking for a "cast in stone" date, just something like within a month or two. Also I would want the battery tender connector along with the cover.

Or do I just need to continue monitering this thread or checking your website? Also if you do a group purchase, how long would the window of opportunity be open?

Thanks Doug, and the heat shield is a wonderful piece of work!

SSGNRDZ_28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The battery covers will be in stock no sooner than 2 months if I had to guess. If I can't get the price down it may not happen. Will report back here and on the other forum and update my website when there is news.

OP
OP
D

dirkbonn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks Doug, that time frame is not a problem at all. I'll be keeping my finger crossed, (toes too) that it works out and "happens". Best of luck and I'll keep watching for info.

Just rec'd the Dynamat today and planning to do the heat shield install tomorrow.

Last edited:

SSGNRDZ_28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like I should have more battery covers in stock in a little over a month. The price will increase slightly due to increased cost of materials since the last run.

Thanks
Doug

OP
OP
D

dirkbonn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Looks like I should have more battery covers in stock in a little over a month. The price will increase slightly due to increased cost of materials since the last run.

Thanks
Doug

I'm ready. Are you still planning to do a "group buy"?

Finally got the heat shield installed with the Dynamat insulation inside and out on both shields. It's a nice piece.

I'll be watching this forum and your website for the battery cover.

SSGNRDZ_28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There won't be a group buy with this one but I'll let everyone know when they are back in stock. Thanks again.

Doug

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Shoutout to Doug for contacting me with option to buy one that a customer returned unopened (traded up to Generation 5 Viper). Looking forward to getting it!

Robert

SSGNRDZ_28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For those waiting for the battery cover or compression limiters they are now back in stock and available to order on my website.

The battery cover finish is now a matte black anodize and there is an engraved battery logo symbol on the face.

Thanks
Doug

OP
OP
D

dirkbonn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just returned from Seattle a couple days ago. Just checked and I see the battery covers w/battery tender connection are back in stock. Ordered a few minutes ago. Thanks Doug.

OP
OP
D

dirkbonn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Rec'd the battery cover with battery tender connection in the mail yesterday. (11/16) Installed it on my Viper on Tuesday, (11/17) and it's a wonderful piece. The install went very easy and the battery tender connector is a great addition to the package. Since I never drive my car
in the winter months, I'm about to put it away for 3-5 months. With the battery tender connector, I can keep the cover on it and keep the battery on the tender very easily.

Now I'm waiting to see your next Gen III, IV product, the Radiator Closeout Panel. Thanks Doug.