Dual Ball Bearing or Journal Bearing on Turbos..

jrod_okc

Viper Owner
Reaction score
on such a large motor as the Viper motor.. Is the DBB worth the extra $$$ over the JB turbos..

I have always ran JB on my Import cars, but was wondering if the lag would be worth the extra $$$

CWhiteRun

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Look at journal bearing turbos as providing a form of traction control due to the *small* amount of lag that you would otherwise use to melt the tires into oblivion with twin ball bearing setups.

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was raised with the mindset that JB is the preferred as they are rebuildable. When a BB turbo wears, it is not rebuildable as the housing is worn.

Granted, this is from a diesel background....

coupe

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The difference in spool time is negligible. The rebuildability is definitely and advantage. Bearings in ball-bearing turbos skip along at 100k RPM anyway, which is why the races are always scuffed no matter how clean the oil has been.

Put the money elsewhere like in tuning and fuel delivery.

britospeed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The BB turbo will have a slightly quicker spool and will have MUCH faster transient response as they can handle the thrust loads better.

britospeed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here you go.

Attachments

• GRAPH FOR Viper SRT #2 on 2010-07-24 @ 08-28-56.jpg
    GRAPH FOR Viper SRT #2 on 2010-07-24 @ 08-28-56.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 19

coupe

Viper Owner
Reaction score
As long as the "blowoff" valves are properly set up, the oil supply is adequate, and the driver's not being an idiot, a journal bearing turbo's thrust bearing is plenty adequate for duty in a TT Viper.

britospeed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No doubt, the journal bearing will make the same power and have good spool. As you get to larger turbo sizes is where you'll start to notice the difference. I.E. twin 76mm and up for the viper.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thiagets