******* Question

jimster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For some strange reason the in-dash cigarete lighter in my 2000 RT doesn't work. I checked the wiring behind the center trim panel and it's connected to the lighter so I'm assuming it's a fuse. The problem is, I don't see any fuses listed in the fuse panel for the lighter. Any suggestions on a fix?

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It must share a circut with something else, like maybe dash lights etc..
I'd have to check my service manual electrical schmematics.

red98RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you check the owners manual? I recently had to change a fuse for the same reason and found the info in there. It was one of the fuses in the engine compartment, though. If you don't have an owners manual I can recheck mine....but I have a '98 RT which could be different.

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Make sure nothing is in the socket causing the fuse to blow. I had a extremely small copper strand caught in the female portion from a speaker wire (must have happened during speaker installtion - stripping wire). When pushing in the lighter, the fuse would blow. Don't remember the fuse, though.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a loose wire blowing the fuse in mine. Right behind the lighter itself.

2005 Silver SRT/10
2000 Steel Gray GTS (sold)

GTS02

Enthusiast
Reaction score
******* ANSWER ( just kidding ) you can ( if everything else fales) hook-up to the radio positive wire. I had the same trouble and could not find a bad fuse or short. I took out the prong in the radio back plug and added a wire ( soldered to the prong and reinserted the prong back into the multi-clip for all the wires that plug to the radio back) from that positive to the lighter. I really depend on my GPS and needed that lighter connection. I tore all the panels out of my dash looking for the bad wire and could not find where it was bad. I'm sure there is a smarter way of securing a positive but the radio positive is a constant ON even when the key is out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cookviper