DYI Battery Tender

Finsfan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All right guys and gals, I didn't see a thread with photos for DYI Batter Tender installations so, I figured I would throw one together. There are many options, so please keep in mind that this is just one of many. One of the things that I wanted to accomplish was to be able to connect and disconnect my Battery Tender with the hood closed and to try and hide wiring. So, here we go :)

Install time 10 minutes

I purchased my Batter Tender from one of our sponsors. Just my way of supporting the club.

You must be registered for see images attach

Step 1: The first thing I had to do was modify the positive lead that came with my Battery Tender. The ring connect that came with my Battery Tender was too small. So, I replaced it with a 3/8" 3M connector (03858NA).

Caution: DO NOT Dis-connect Negative lead first.

Step 2: Removed the Positive lead from the fuse box. If this is the first time that it has been removed it will be very tight, so use caution.

Step 3: Remove the ground to frame connection.

Step 4: Route the quick disconnect lead behind your hood bumper guard as shown.

Step 5: Connect the Positive lead, and hand tighten / torque snug. CAUTION: over tighten and you will need to buy a new housing assembly, under tighten and it may cause your housing to over heat and melt. The factory nut has a built in locking feature. So, I simply torqued it until I could not move the positive lead.

Caution: DO NOT Re-connect Negative lead first.

Step 6: Re-Connect ground.

Step 7: I removed the back retaining screw from the bumper guard and installed a tie wrap with an eyelet to retain the quick disconnect.

Step 8: I installed a large red Remove Before Flight streamer to remind me to disconnect my Battery Tender before leaving the garage.

Here what it looks like when your done..

Enjoy your ride.

Last edited:

vpower01

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Nice im gonna do one on how to use a garden hose next. :crazy2:

Just kidding, i really want to know how well they work?
I have heard mixed reviews on these so if anyone here
has used one for a few winters please speak up.
Thanks!

nice pics and info btw :2tu:

Olddudesrule

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice im gonna do one on how to use a garden hose next. :crazy2:

Just kidding, i really want to know how well they work?
I have heard mixed reviews on these so if anyone here
has used one for a few winters please speak up.
Thanks!

nice pics and info btw :2tu:

I've used one for years on both my motorcycle and all my non-daily driver cars, like the Viper. The battery in my FFR Cobra (a Kirkland) lasted me nearly 7 years in the Arizona heat, most likely due to the daily trickle charge it got. I also used one for two years on my Z06, and never had any of the electrical gremlin issues that Vipers suffer from also. I swear by the Tender.:2tu:

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great tutorial. you can also mount them under the trunk by the battery. At least for a G3,4 car.

Bruce

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that's the pos terminal Tator always warns people to be very careful with as its a ridiculous price to replace. Just a heads up

OP
OP
F

Finsfan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great photo tutorial, but I'm curious about your warnings of which order to take the negative/positive off. I've always been taught the other way around (take negative off first, connect it last). A good explanation of why is here:

Good Engineering Practice/Batteries/Disconnecting The Battery - L o t u s S e v e n C l u b

Thanks for the feed back ViperCollector. I've modified my instructions based upon the link you provided.:headbang: Great info which make sense. FYI, The warning was taken off of a set of jumper cables.:crazy2:

ViperCollector

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the feed back ViperCollector. I've modified my instructions based upon the link you provided.:headbang: Great info which make sense. FYI, The warning was taken off of a set of jumper cables.:crazy2:

Well, in their defense, if you 'weld' them to the car as the instruction site says will happen, you'll have to buy another set! Sounds like planned obsolescence to me! :rolaugh::rolaugh: