E Brake

Mitsunori Murphy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is the inside E-brake caliper issue a problem on every gen 3 (mine's 1595 in 03, 60k, unknown brake history) and having it in shop tomorrow. The outer disk is smooth but I feel ridges on the inside rotor, so I'm thinking rotors and pads on all 4 corners.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Yeah, I think it's been a problem for all gen 3s and probably even 4s as I thought they used the same setup. I believe even the gen 5 uses the same setup, but I think they changed where on the rotor it mounts, so it might have a better cable run or something that makes it less likely to drag.

Michael Murray

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I got my 2008 it had basically no pad left on the inside with plenty of low speed noise and brake dust to accompany.
I completely removed the entire system including handle and now I have a convenient pouch to place my cellular in, shed about 12lbs in all, mostly unsprung.

GT-R's use the same Brembo park mechanism and suffer the same problem.

hlieber50

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've experienced that problem on many of my cars in the past. When I park while driving around I use my e-brake but when it's in the garage parked long or short I skip using the e-brake to avoid it from rusting on the rotor. Same with the alarm. If you park longterm with the alarm on, the flashing alarm light will drain your battery.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Is the inside E-brake caliper issue a problem on every gen 3 (mine's 1595 in 03, 60k, unknown brake history) and having it in shop tomorrow. The outer disk is smooth but I feel ridges on the inside rotor, so I'm thinking rotors and pads on all 4 corners.

YEP....... Inner pads drag, made worse by habitual E-brake use for no good reason!
You can simply swap the Outer E pads INWARD and Visa-Versa

OP
OP
Mitsunori Murphy

Mitsunori Murphy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After insightful discussion with my Viper technician: the E-brake is a functional parking brake and can be used as such. But, it needs routine lubrication to operate as intended. I'm putting on drilled/slotted rotors and upgraded pads, stock pads on the E-brakes and will have it monitored and lubed at oil changes. I will continue to use the E-brake for parking or holding when starting on inclines.

TexasViper35

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After insightful discussion with my Viper technician: the E-brake is a functional parking brake and can be used as such. But, it needs routine lubrication to operate as intended. I'm putting on drilled/slotted rotors and upgraded pads, stock pads on the E-brakes and will have it monitored and lubed at oil changes. I will continue to use the E-brake for parking or holding when starting on inclines.
It’s a hard habit to break (no pun intended), but stop using it for parking and just live your life. The Reverse Gear locks in place if you are that concerned, but I park in First Gear. I guess we all go through this and then decide. If you don’t have an emergency or are not parked on a steep incline just leave it in gear and go about life. I’ve pulled the handle maybe 5-6 times in 8 years or so (30K miles), after having to buy new rotors, and it’s fine.