Edmunds '08 Viper vs. Z06 Article

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I made sure to post this over at corvetteforum.com.
Man I love busting on those bowties.

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The ***** vette owners are in denial:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=1832394

They seem to think that with a better driver the numbers would be closer. They fail to realize that with a better driver an 06' Viper already does 11.8 1/4 mile. With a better driver the 08' Viper can probably hit 11.2 flat, while the Vette might hit 11.8, thus actually widening the gap.

OP
OP
V

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The ***** vette owners are in denial:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=1832394

They seem to think that with a better driver the numbers would be closer. They fail to realize that with a better driver an 06' Viper already does 11.8 1/4 mile. With a better driver the 08' Viper can probably hit 11.2 flat, while the Vette might hit 11.8, thus actually widening the gap.

Forget the vette owners...it'd be nice to get through a great thread like this without egging on the AARP membership over there. We don't want them coming here and yelling at us to get off their front lawns. :D Let's focus on what matters...the '08 Viper.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
RedC6 said:
Dollar for dollar, you still can't beat the Z06. The viper is equivilant to a 1LZ car at $65K, the Viper starts at $85,600.... Give me a Vortech supercharger, new tires, etc. with the extra 20K the Z06 has on the Viper and the Z will spank the Viper all day long....

Seriously, can someone PLEASE stop everyone from EVER making this same moronic post ever again???!!! God how many times is this SAME argument going to be made over and over again in every car forum in the internet?

BUT WHEN YOU'RE DONE SPENDING YOUR "SAVED" 20G'S YOU'LL STILL BE DRIVING A CORVETTE...ALONGSIDE OF 200,000+ OTHER CORVETTE OWNERS!

We spend the extra $20G's precisely NOT to be like you! If I had an extra $900G's I'd be driving an Enzo or Veyron, but you don't see me posting how much I could mod my Viper with the extra $900G's do you? :rolleyes:

Can someone please take out an add on the Corvette board just to define "exclusivity"?

Last edited:

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Forget the vette owners...it'd be nice to get through a great thread like this without egging on the AARP membership over there. We don't want them coming here and yelling at us to get off their front lawns. :D Let's focus on what matters...the '08 Viper.

No.... I think it's well deserved. They have been ranting and inflating the marginal difference between the 06' Viper and 06' Z06 as if the gap were the Grand Canyon for two years now. Now that the gap is not mistaken I think we should enjoy it while it lasts. When that ZR1 comes out, let's hope the ACR is there to strike back before the democrats make corn-driven hybrids mandatory.

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RedC6
Dollar for dollar, you still can't beat the Z06. The viper is equivilant to a 1LZ car at $65K, the Viper starts at $85,600.... Give me a Vortech supercharger, new tires, etc. with the extra 20K the Z06 has on the Viper and the Z will spank the Viper all day long....

Good golly, if the're gonna talk smack by going that route, then hand me a $8k Paxton Supercharger and they can add on $30k of corvette mods and then compare. The 08' with a Paxton..... I crap my pants thinking about it.

OP
OP
V

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go over to corvette forum dot com and see the take on this article there

Nah...I already know what they're saying...no different than the feedback they gave when the initial '08 reviews came out. This time...they can't argue trunk space, traction control and cupholders so they're left with price and aftermarket upgrades as arguments. Following that logic then...I guess I can take my GenII add a paxton and spank the Z06 all day long too and I'd still be cheaper than a new Z06. So what if the Z06 is $20K cheaper...it's going to cost that much for repairs in the first year of ownership alone! :poke:

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's just a game of leapfrog... now they get to stare at our @$$ for a bit. :D

I have no doubt Lutz will assure we look at theirs again soon enough. Taunting them in their home is no better than when they come here to do it. Let's grow up folks... there must be better ways to spend your time.... like driving your Viper! :2tu:

Scratch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As for the ZO6 price, as I posted, GM raised it $4300...and if the super vette gets out, looking way beyond that price. And yeah, there is hissy fits over on that board :D

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's just a game of leapfrog... now they get to stare at our @$$ for a bit. :D

I have no doubt Lutz will assure we look at theirs again soon enough. Taunting them in their home is no better than when they come here to do it. Let's grow up folks... there must be better ways to spend your time.... like driving your Viper! :2tu:

Were we ever staring at their @$$e$? I thought it was more like maybe a door handles if anything.:dunno:

Alexarz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have joined the fun at the corvette forum, describing myself as a vette owner who has come to terms with the fact that the Viper is out of the vette's league and always has been. Now if the rest of them would simply assume their roles as the female of this 1 on 1 relationship, we can get back to having fun rolling in the hay, drilling the vette girlies, as nature intended.

ViperDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The z06 is a joke because it's in that chassis with the same body work. How much would it take Chevy to change it up enough so that it looks 'frickin sick' compared to a regular Vette?

My daily driver is still a C6 vert, and true story, I was driving along one Sunday on the local cruise drag, and pulled up next to a black Viper who just fun gunned the engine, and I was like 'yeah that's a real muscle car' and promptly sought to find one for myself!

But I do have problems with many of these articles - the new Viper isn't all the different, yet the press now treats it like some amazing new car?!

Maybe they've just warmed up to it finally, no pun intended. But aside from the horsepower and the tires and some hood vents, the overall driving experience isn't all that different I would imagine than the 2006.

Or maybe it will be a whole world apart. Tell those damn union guys to get back to work so we can some 2008's on the lot!

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The z06 is a joke because it's in that chassis with the same body work. How much would it take Chevy to change it up enough so that it looks 'frickin sick' compared to a regular Vette?

My daily driver is still a C6 vert, and true story, I was driving along one Sunday on the local cruise drag, and pulled up next to a black Viper who just fun gunned the engine, and I was like 'yeah that's a real muscle car' and promptly sought to find one for myself!

But I do have problems with many of these articles - the new Viper isn't all the different, yet the press now treats it like some amazing new car?!

Maybe they've just warmed up to it finally, no pun intended. But aside from the horsepower and the tires and some hood vents, the overall driving experience isn't all that different I would imagine than the 2006.

Or maybe it will be a whole world apart. Tell those damn union guys to get back to work so we can some 2008's on the lot!

Actually The Conner Ave. Plant is NOT part of the strike.

ViperDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You mean today's strike, but you'd think they've already been on strike since August since no one seems to have gotten an 08 Viper yet.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The '08s start coming out this month, maybe not available 'till next month?

I'd say that being the largest, highest output sports car ever in the world is why the media is impressed with the Viper ... again. When a manufacturer makes history or builds a car that outperforms all others, even beyond it's class - that's news!

The 08 Viper is news again. Just like the first Viper, the '08 is making history. Not a "little faster" a LOT faster.

Ted