Edmunds: 2013 SRT Viper vs. 2012 Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 Comparison Test

ScrewDrvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Full review here: http://www.edmunds.com/chevrolet/corvette/2012/comparison-test1.html

Streets of Willow Springs:
2013 SRT Viper: 1:23.0
2012 Chevrolet Corvette ZR1: 1:21.9

ZR1
As-tested MSRP $124,345
Edmunds observed (mpg) 15.1

Acceleration
0-30 mph (sec.) 1.9
0-45 mph (sec.) 2.7
0-60 mph (sec.) 3.6
0-75 mph (sec.) 5.0
1/4-mile (sec. @ mph) 11.5 @ 126.1

Braking
30-0 mph (ft.) 23
60-0 mph (ft.) 95

Handling
Slalom, 6 x 100 ft. (mph) 73.1
Skid pad, 200-ft. diameter (lateral g) 1.1
Road course lap time (sec.) 1:21.9

Viper:
As-tested MSRP $138,490
Edmunds observed (mpg) 14.3

Acceleration
0-30 mph (sec.) 2.0
0-45 mph (sec.) 2.9
0-60 mph (sec.) 3.7
0-75 mph (sec.) 5.1
1/4-mile (sec. @ mph) 11.5 @ 127.3

Braking
30-0 mph (ft.) 25
60-0 mph (ft.) 101

Handling
Slalom, 6 x 100 ft. (mph) 73.7
Skid pad, 200-ft. diameter (lateral g) 1.03
Road course lap time (sec.) 1:23.0

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
REALLY close obviously. the ZR1 might be that fraction faster (and for less $$) but the Viper is miles ahead sexier and more fun.

tbi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viper had more mph in the quartermile. interesting considering the dyno results to say the leaste.

Goes to show that the viper is as fast or faster straight line then tge zr1.

Thats bad *** right there.

I belieave the viper is closeing the gap on the road course and soon a viper driver will show what the beaste can do.

Also the viper slalom was impressive.

Well done srt

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Again I say:

"Handling tests were a wash. The Viper was marginally quicker through the slalom and the ZR1 produced higher lateral acceleration. But after our handling and braking tests it was clear that despite tires with similar treadwear ratings, the ZR1's Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tires make more grip. Given equal heat, the Viper's Pirelli P Zero Corsas are certainly sticky, but they're no match — in the dry anyway — for the Vette's barely streetable rubber."

"Perhaps most telling when it comes to grip is the Corvette's 95-foot stop from 60 mph. Certainly its carbon-ceramic brakes didn't hurt (the Viper's rotors are steel), but it's the tires that matter most in this single-stop test. And at 101 feet, the Viper's stop was undeniably longer."

BlackSnake99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ouch........

But the $124,345 Corvette wins this test because it's better than the Viper in nearly every way: Faster, more comfortable and easier to drive, it makes the Viper's uncompromising ethos seem utterly unnecessary. And the fact that it's due for replacement in a few months only makes matters worse for the all-new 2013 SRT Viper.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I see Edmunds still can't get it off the line. CD had 0-60 in 3.2 seconds.

But, CD also had a 11.5s 1/4 mile, which - where did Edmunds get .5s and where did CD lose .5s

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you. The one you replaced it with also has issues but most people will be able to deal with them head on without getting upset.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Isn't Streets of Willow shorter and tighter than Laguna? That could be why its just a 1.1 second loss at Willow as compared to the 2.1 second loss at Laguna. So I don't think the Viper closed any gaps here as someone intimated. Just a different track.

It did well in the slalom and 1/4 though. Looks like they clearly see the tires as the culprit according the quote above. 1.1 second behind the ZR1 on Willow. Makes you wonder how it would have done with MPSC on:) Did they complain about the Viper brakes in this test? I cant access the link still.

Edit: Just read the article. I noticed the same phrasing about lack of "confidence" in the Vipers handling due to its very stiff handling. No mention of brakes though....I guess the track is more a low speed track like they mentioned so not as brake intensive as Laguna. I like the comentary on the interior though.

Last edited:

tbi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With a standard 1 foot roll out they were both at 3.4 0-60 mph and likely 11.2-3 in the quartermile

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And despite what Ralph Gilles, president and CEO of SRT brand might tell you on Twitter, there's far more to going quickly than simply mixing spring rates and cojones in the proper ratio. A good driver's car is one that's as sensitive to a driver's needs as it is physically capable.

And though we refuse to drink the braver-is-better Kool-Aid peddled by Gilles and team, there's value in an uncompromised supercar — the full extent of which might only be accessible to a tiny percentage of drivers a tiny percentage of the time. If you're OK with that then the Viper is for you.

:drive::drive::drive::drive::drive::drive::drive::drive::drive::drive::drive:

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score

And despite what Ralph Gilles, president and CEO of SRT brand might tell you on Twitter, there's far more to going quickly than simply mixing spring rates and cojones in the proper ratio. A good driver's car is one that's as sensitive to a driver's needs as it is physically capable.

A DRIVER'S NEEDS VARY WITH THE DRIVER'S SKILL SET.

And though we refuse to drink the braver-is-better Kool-Aid peddled by Gilles and team, there's value in an uncompromised supercar — the full extent of which might only be accessible to a tiny percentage of drivers a tiny percentage of the time. If you're OK with that then the Viper is for you.

Yes it is. It is not for *******. Sorry for the use of the word p word but it fits. Some of us thrive on a challenge. Others like to have things done for them and not admit that they just cannot drive. Does the word "Poser" come to mind? How about the words spineless twerp? Maybe it is generational but the words: "sensitive to a driver's needs" used in the context of a performance vehicle turns my stomach. Is the car a psychiatrist or a mechanical device? Perhaps he should get a car that has a pull string next to the driver so that when he takes a turn the right way, if he knows the right way, he can pull it and a **** voice will say: "Well done handsome."

Sorry for the rant.

Stealth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
3rd Test: same result ... .

The Lap times are undoubtedly closer because Streets of Willow is a very tight track--not really a good track to test big, high-hp. cars. The "Big Willow" Track next door to Streets is much better.

As many have mentioned, the Vette and Viper push each other to improvement and each is lucky for the existence of the other.

The Gen V. Viper is a new model and will no doubt evolve. I purchased my Gen IV Coupe new and love it. I look forward to the Dodge--oops-SRT response.

bcmarly

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree and the car that comes to mind for those that have no driving skills but like to feel good about themselves is the........... GTR.

A DRIVER'S NEEDS VARY WITH THE DRIVER'S SKILL SET.

Yes it is. It is not for *******. Sorry for the use of the word p word but it fits. Some of us thrive on a challenge. Others like to have things done for them and not admit that they just cannot drive. Does the word "Poser" come to mind? How about the words spineless twerp? Maybe it is generational but the words: "sensitive to a driver's needs" used in the context of a performance vehicle turns my stomach. Is the car a psychiatrist or a mechanical device? Perhaps he should get a car that has a pull string next to the driver so that when he takes a turn the right way, if he knows the right way, he can pull it and a **** voice will say: "Well done handsome."

Sorry for the rant.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do any of you think that any of the car mags followed this procedure? I doubt it. It is from Tire Rack's website.

[h=2]Care and Feeding of the Pirelli P Zero Corsa[/h]Tire Set-up for Circuit Driving
For maximum performance and safety on a circuit, first make sure that the vehicle itself is in perfect working order, particularly with respect to brakes, steering and suspension.
Having quite a stiff construction, the P Zero Corsa does not necessarily need extra tire pressure to deliver its performance. In fact it is designed to run at tire pressures around 30 psi, with finite adjustments depending on vehicle type.
Critical to understanding the set-up is to appreciate that this pressure is the "operating pressure" of the tire when it is fully warmed up to working temperature and that the difference between "hot" and "cold" tires can be very significant, typically 7 psi.
Set-up procedure: set the tire pressures when cold to approximately 6 psi less than the required operating pressure.
Drive the car on the circuit for 3 to 4 laps to bring the tires up to temperature, re-enter the pit lane and immediately re-set the pressures to the operating pressure. Continue to check, re-set and/or adjust the "hot" pressures during continued use on the circuit if that is possible.
Pirelli recommends using normal compressed air to inflate the tire, providing the above procedures are followed. Specialized gasses such as nitrogen are not required unless the air source suffers from excessive contamination of humidity.
Always use a high quality air pressure gauge for consistent results. It is also recommended to use metal rather than rubber valve stems in the wheel, these being more resistant to high temperature.

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm sure they didn't for the Corsas, but went through the 3 pages of setup info for the MPSC (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/general/Michelin_Care_and_Feeding.pdf) to give the ZR1 and advantage. You know, like driving 6 laps, taking optimal tire temps (not pressures, temperatures with a pyrometer).:rolleyes:

Run what you brung is how mag tests work. SRT sends cars ready for performance testing, mag does performance tests. Period.

Do any of you think that any of the car mags followed this procedure? I doubt it. It is from Tire Rack's website.

Care and Feeding of the Pirelli P Zero Corsa

Tire Set-up for Circuit Driving
For maximum performance and safety on a circuit, first make sure that the vehicle itself is in perfect working order, particularly with respect to brakes, steering and suspension.
Having quite a stiff construction, the P Zero Corsa does not necessarily need extra tire pressure to deliver its performance. In fact it is designed to run at tire pressures around 30 psi, with finite adjustments depending on vehicle type.
Critical to understanding the set-up is to appreciate that this pressure is the "operating pressure" of the tire when it is fully warmed up to working temperature and that the difference between "hot" and "cold" tires can be very significant, typically 7 psi.
Set-up procedure: set the tire pressures when cold to approximately 6 psi less than the required operating pressure.
Drive the car on the circuit for 3 to 4 laps to bring the tires up to temperature, re-enter the pit lane and immediately re-set the pressures to the operating pressure. Continue to check, re-set and/or adjust the "hot" pressures during continued use on the circuit if that is possible.
Pirelli recommends using normal compressed air to inflate the tire, providing the above procedures are followed. Specialized gasses such as nitrogen are not required unless the air source suffers from excessive contamination of humidity.
Always use a high quality air pressure gauge for consistent results. It is also recommended to use metal rather than rubber valve stems in the wheel, these being more resistant to high temperature.

slitherv10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am no pro or engineer for that matter but,

a simple list of what should of went in and what should have been kept out would be...IMHO
According to what seems to have been tried and tested so far...

Things that should have been out:

1. Brakes and the like ie, wether it be the pads,rotors,piston numbers and size...etc

2. Tires and wheels size.

3. gear ratio and the like.ie, 4th nd 5th ratios etc.

4. Interior comforts and bells and whistles..ie, first class leather, launch control,18 speaker system and the like etc..

What should have went in:

1. Better brakes...all you know hows would know what the best would be, why doesnt SRT

2. Tires...Michelin Sport Cups in the size they came in to fit the Viper. I don't think it was that important for them to go up to 355's and give up the quality of those tires for new never tried and tested Pirelli Corsas. What was the point in changing anyway. Don't change something that is not broken right?

3 Gear ratio should have been tweeked to keep the car pulling in between changes. 5th gear was always a problem and seems to continue to be. Why can't they get it right?

4. Interior should have been better but not over the top. Earlier poster quoted, and I totaly agree, that they will never compete with the european counterparts in that dept. Even if they did or do, ferrari,lambo,Porsche and the like will not flock over because the seats are comfier and the dash is fancy. Infact, who was it, MT or Car and driver that hated it anyway. I know there were a few good reviews on the interior from others,but,all that money and time spent on it only to have doubters? ! If the money was spent on the power and the above , MT ,C&D Top Gear and anyone else on this earth would have shut their mouths and would be in AWWW of this new car.

If all the above were done, this car would have been the undisputed king. Not struggling to keep up. Not the Viper. Never did, never should.

For all you GEN V owners out there. ill bet that you didnt buy the car for its interior comfort as much as you bought it for its exlusiveness. Ill bet you didnt buy it for any of the above listed in "what should have been left out. If you did, then you have been proven wrong for doing so ....SO FAR. It remains to be seen. Like you all say though.....its the Viper your after,,...not the speed or its king of the hill status. You didnt buy the car for teenage bragging rights. My car is faster than yours and mine is better than yours. You bought it because its a Viper .....Right?....right...? Hoperfully you will be thinking the same way when the Newer, faster, more improved viper comes to play on the streets in the near future. Enjoy your new cars and be proud you drive and own a new Viper. Keep the faith. I know I am.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So the magazines do not examine the cars to determine if tires have been shaved or there are tire pressure differences or any damage from unloading the car? Is that what you are saying? Hypothetically, what if the Vette people were a bit more shrewd and delivered the car with lower pressure in the tires and the tires shaved and the SRT people, for whatever reason, delivered the car with 30 pounds or more already in the tires? Wouldn't the Vette, with this difference alone, handle much better? Particularly since the P Zeros evidently are a harder tire thatwould be more senstive.

Are you suggesting that SRT did not do its homework and R&D when it chose the tire for the car? That is a pretty serious accusation.

I'm sure they didn't for the Corsas, but went through the 3 pages of setup info for the MPSC (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/general/Michelin_Care_and_Feeding.pdf) to give the ZR1 and advantage. You know, like driving 6 laps, taking optimal tire temps (not pressures, temperatures with a pyrometer).:rolleyes:

Run what you brung is how mag tests work. SRT sends cars ready for performance testing, mag does performance tests. Period.

viper_itch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see if someone runs the Gen V on MPSCs. I've felt like we'd take a hit with the tire, and it appears we did, and why shouldn't we have?

slitherv10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So the magazines do not examine the cars to determine if tires have been shaved or there are tire pressure differences or any damage from unloading the car? Is that what you are saying? Hypothetically, what if the Vette people were a bit more shrewd and delivered the car with lower pressure in the tires and the tires shaved and the SRT people, for whatever reason, delivered the car with 30 pounds or more already in the tires? Wouldn't the Vette, with this difference alone, handle much better? Particularly since the P Zeros evidently are a harder tire thatwould be more senstive.

Are you suggesting that SRT did not do its homework and R&D when it chose the tire for the car? That is a pretty serious accusation.

I don't think SRT had a choice of tire brands when Michelin was either kicked to the curb or did not want to continue their relationship with the viper and SRT. Pirelli needs to shape up or ship out. Esp with the prices they charge for these baby's.

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score

depending on how much has been shaved, it's hard to tell a shaved tire from one that just has a few miles on it. From the Motortrend pictures, the MPSC still had some tread left, which on MPSC isn't a lot of tread, so if they were shaved it was sneakily done. Mags will catch hell if the mess with the cars, unless they do so and don't say anything, but I doubt editors know proper procedures for every tire. Yes, it possible that poor pressures could slow the car down, but the ZR1 pressures could have been bad too. There is sufficient real world evidence to suggest the MPSC are significantly faster than the Pirelli's

SRT doesn't get to go tire shopping, they have limited tire options to work with based on contracts with manufacturers. There was some reason ($$$ or otherwise) that SRT went with the Trofeo after a proven record with MPSC. I think they chose the best option they could. It's just not fast enough. I surely hope they didn't willingly choose a tire they knew was slower. They could have (and probably did) slap a set of Gen IV wheels/tires on a Gen V and get all the data they need. But they have to play by the rules. The ink is dry now, they will have to get Trofeo's, improve the car significantly or wait for the ACR in order to beat the ZR1.

tbi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Am i the only one who notices that the viper trapped over 1 mph higher than the zr1?

The genv is a beaste plain and simple.

Genv owners are getting an amazeingly beautiful exterior...arguably the best interior ever in a american sports car plus the bragging rights of a car that can out mph a zr1 in the quartermile and arguably the fastest ever published rwd manual 0-60 in a major mag

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Am i the only one who notices that the viper trapped over 1 mph higher than the zr1?

The genv is a beaste plain and simple.

Genv owners are getting an amazeingly beautiful exterior...arguably the best interior ever in a american sports car plus the bragging rights of a car that can out mph a zr1 in the quartermile and arguably the fastest ever published rwd manual 0-60 in a major mag

Lol. That's putting a positive spin on it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang