1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Emergency brake not working???!

Discussion in 'SRT10 and SRT10 Coupe Discussions' started by jpa99acr, Aug 20, 2013.

1. jpa99acr

jpa99acr Enthusiast

I just noticed last weekend that my E brake is not engaging properly, car still wants to roll. Kinda scary since I use it to keep from rolling when backing up if I'm on a hill. Is it the rear brakes that are bad? I hadn't noticed any issues braking.

2. Emerica4601

Emerica4601 Viper Owner

I've noticed that my first 'rip' on the e-brake handle doesn't engage properly. But when I put it back down, and go for the second 'rip' up on the handle, it fully engages. Strange.

3. LifeIsGood

LifeIsGood Enthusiast

4. Steve M

Steve M Viper Owner

Check the parking brake pads...the inners tend to wear much faster than the outers, so make sure you still have some pad left. The parking brake mechanism is self-adjusting, so try pulling the handle a few times to see if that helps.

5. jpa99acr

jpa99acr Enthusiast

thanks guys for the info! I'll check out the pads and try to work with the brake a few times to see if that helps.

6. Mamba52

Mamba52 Viper Owner

Removed mine. Inner pads wear too fast for me. Also lost some weight :rolaugh: if I park on a hill I just turn my wheels into the curb.

7. uvbnbit

uvbnbit Viper Owner

Never heard of E brake pads wearing out. You having too many emergencies and/or drifting too much :D

8. Steve M

Steve M Viper Owner

VERY common issue with Gen III/IV owners due to the design of the parking brake. I'd assume the Gen V will be the same way unless they figured out how to relieve some of the tension on the assembly when they moved it to the other side.

9. Sonoman

Sonoman Viper Owner

I am sure Brembo knows how to make a decent parking brake but this one sux. Agree with uvnbit above-- you should never have to change parking brake pads under normal driving conditions. Having 'em drag constantly not only wastes energy but adds -even more- wonderful brake dust to your wheels. I avoid setting the damn thing whenever possible since that just brings the self-adjusting mech in further (and drags 'em more). There are a handful of poorly designed/poorly implemented features on these cars and this is one of them.

10. billseast

billseast Viper Owner

My inner pads were rubbing the disk. The pads are now just chunks of metal no pad left.

11. TowDawg

TowDawg Viper Owner

Absolutely awful design and the inner pads wear out really quickly. Especially if you use the ebrake very often at all (I don't), or track the car (I do).
    That said, when I do have to use it, it does sometimes take me pulling the ebrake up and down a few times for it to build up enough pressure to actually hold the car.