Enclosed Trailers...best/worst?

Bad_Byte

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm starting my search for an exclosed trailer. Long story but suffice it to say I've been through three trailers (open variety) and have decided that I need two trailers, one for utility and one for Viper. The latter being the most fun of course.

I'm interested in pro's and con's of features, size, (it does matter I hear) brands and of course the price I might expect to be reasonable.

You guys have always provided excellent advice in the past, I'm sure you'll point me in the right direction this time.

Thanks in advance

Art

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Featherlites are great..and pricey.

I looked around a good deal along with a friend that was in the market at the sametime. We both wound up with a Haulmark back in 1995. We both got 22' long 102 wide.

At the time I needed it to haul around a restored Superbird and my friend has a radical 22T rod.

VPRGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What are you going to be towing it with?

Are you looking for a gooseneck or tag?

How much are you willing to spend?

An aluminum trailer should always be your first choice unless price is a big concern. They last much longer than steel or wood, and save big money on gas when being towed.

For example my enclosed 2 car trailer is 5200lb's empty, while a comparable steel trailer is 9900lb's.

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
TPD and SilverLite are composite trailer and are considered to be among the best.

also,regarding gas mileage, what is more important than weight ( to a point) is the frontal aera that need to cut through the air.

Prices are all over the place, from $5/6K to 20K for a 24' depending on the construction and options.

Luc.
00GTS

Tim 02 FE Viper GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone using Ramp overs or an inside ramp to allow the drivers door to open over the Wheel well and escape door sill? Any modifications to the door ramp to accomodate the Viper's low profile.

Mike Adams

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have had nothing but problems with my 2 yr old PACE. Which they refuse to look after because I am the Second owner. The first owner never even drove it, he bought it and took it to a cabinet place and sold it before it was even finised.

The side panells which are aluminum are rotting through at the wheel wells because of a design flaw. They have 2 dis-similar metals in contact there which causes corrosion. They told me on the phone it was a common problem but because I was the second owner I was SOL.

This is crap since when did a manufacture warranty an owner rather than their product. I know 5 other go kart racers with the same problem occuring

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a gold rush DROPPED AXEL, 24 ft with a ****** tail, no ramps , no muss, but you cant open the door in the trailer, I use a winch, the dropped axel is the key. Tows awesome too

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Check out the site ( www.hhtrailers.com) and they are also on the site. We have gone through a ton of trailers over the years, and many were big name outfits. They all seem to fall apart with alot of usage. These guys have been written up in alot of Car magazines of late, the pricing is very competitive, and they are very anal. I drag two cars around in a 30 ft. V nose,and unlike other trailers I have had I don't get dust or moisture in the trailer. Check out the 20 reasons to buy an H & H and you will see their patented vent system that works similar to a car-cocoon. The company has gotten very large, has state of the art changes in construction ( no rivets ) and the brothers are all severe gearheads. Check them out.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Contact Golden Gait Trailers (www.ggtonline) and ask for Squire or Tim (owner). They are the largest Featherlite car trailer dealer on the east coast and service / support allthe NASCAR rigs. Few folks actually do car trailers well. They do. They have customized both our trailers and have sold at least 2 more based on ours at viperDays. they also convinced Featherlite to build a 24' v-nose ALL aluminum with a tread plate floor that is the lightest trailer on the market - retails for about $10K and will hold its value like no other. Buy the lightest trailer you can afford, becasue everything weighs more than you think....

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What is the lightest enclosed trailer that will fit the viper. I have looked at most of the web sites, for some reason they do not list the trailer weight.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Probably the absolute lightest is the Trailex - it's very SMALL, i.e. might be able to fit into a GARAGE. They are a ViperDays sponsor. The trailer is popular with Porsche guys and can easily be pulled by midsize SUVs.

Then, you look at Featherlite and Exiss - both in all aluminum, although I think f'lite is the only company producing a standard model with the aluminum floor.

Give the Golden Gait guys a call - I am sure they can easily get weights for you.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang