Engine differences between 96-97 and 99-01

OP
OP
B

Butch The Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by YellowSnake:
Casey & Acatala7:
GOOD TO SEE SOMEONE APPRECIATED MY COMMENTS, LOL!

BUTT-THE-SNACK:
I AM A 100% ENTREPRENEUR. YOU JUST QUESTION MY FINANCIAL STATUS BECAUSE I AM HALF YOUR AGE. FOR YOUR FAILING MEMORY, I AM 24 YEARS OLD. [/URL]

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yellow Steak, believe me I appreciate you, you have the nicest butt in the Viper club, I tell everyone about how nice your a** is and how tight it is.

As for your second issue I know you are a brilliant individual and 100% BI, as far as your FINACIAL STATUS send me your tax return or your mothers tax return which ever is easiest.

VIPERESS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 1bad gts:
People can dispute chasis horsepower numbers for 96-97 verses the newer cars ...The racetrack is the ultimate JUDGE .The fastest recorded Magazine test of a Viper (11.77 at 120 )was done using a 2000(CREAMPUFF).No 96-97 ever has gone that quick.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
1badgts
I received an e-mail from a friend of mine in Texas, who said that in 1998, at Houston Raceway Park, the fastest recorded time a 1997 GTS ran, that was completely stock, was [email protected] stock. After they added K&N filters and exhaust, the car ran 11.26@124.
Laura 2BadGTS'
devil.gif
BURNOUT.gif

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Watch out Turbosnake! Fromagerie has one of the most extensive wine lists ($$$$$) in the country!

VIPERESS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 1bad gts:
PS 2 Viperess when i say STOCK it means with the same tires the car came from Dodge with....Given the MODS described i Will BET the car was running SLICKS, it was much more modifyed than stated or the claimed time was nonsense.You are local if you doubt what i am saying come on down and i will prove my point to you .

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

1badgts: Are you "calling me out" hmmmmmmm???? Now my 96 is Bone stock...very interesting proposition. The 11.54 from what I was told, was not running slicks, the tires were straight from the factory, and the car was bone stock. The time of the run(11.26) with the car after the K&N filters and exhaust, I don't know if that was with slicks. As I mentioned to you in e-mail, I will speak to my friend and try to find out if these times are documented anywhere, and just who the driver was.
Have a wonderful day.
Laura
devil.gif
BURNOUT.gif

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi All,

The break-in procedure using Aeroshell (or any aircraft oil) needs a little explanation. Aircraft engines are different in that 1) they use bearings containing silver, 2) are built for extreme durability, and 3) aircraft cannot tolerate knock.

The use of silver bearings precludes the typical automotive anti-wear additives, since there are compatibility problems. The zinc-phosphorus additives are replaced with phosphates.

Aircraft valvetrain (and other parts) are built for long life, and therefore have fewer or lower high-pressure contact stress areas, lessening the need for traditional anti-wear additives.

If automotive engine oils were used in an aircraft engine, and if this engine consumed oil, and if this oil consumption caused combustion chamber deposits, it *may* cause knock. With the power settings and noise, pilots may not hear the knock, or need full power anyway. Detonation, leading to piston failure, is not tolerated well in aircraft, so ashless oils are recommended. Ashless oils do not have the detergents and anti-wear additives that automotive engines have (these are calcium, boron, zinc, magnesium based additives) and so would not leave combustion chamber deposits.

The result is that aircraft engine oils use a different type of anti-wear additive, and need less anyway. This doesn't make them that good for automotive engines.

In the days when aircraft oils were used for break-in, the OEMs didn't make cylinders as round as they do now, didn't have plateau honing and other cylinder wall finishes as they do now, and so on. Using an aircraft oil or a completely unadditized oil did accelerate break-in, but realize this was running the engine essentially unprotected from wear. I wouldn't recommend this in a new engine.

VIPERESS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1badgts...my last word on this, at least for today
laugh.gif
, before I lose my job.
Viper event, last month, River City Raceway. In front of hundreds of Viper owners, Sean Ogburns 1997 GTS (running with smaller 315 BFG radials, keep in mind..not drag radials), ran in the 11's, with the only mods being headers, exhaust, and K&N filters. I believe Sean's car even had a wing, which as you know, has been shown to slow mph in the quarter mile. The car dynoed at 460rwhp, and has run time of 11.17@124. ps.that was on radials.
Is it necessary that the times run at a VCA event be in print in some magazine in order for the results to stand? The times were posted and observed by hundreds of people. The fact of the matter is, that these cars have tremendous potential which can be easily demonstrated when utilizing Proper Technique, Proper Set Up, and most importantly...a Skilled Driver then one can truly witness what these cars are capable of, even the most bone stock car, without fancy, expensive mods.
Laura
devil.gif
BURNOUT.gif
back to work for me!!

OP
OP
B

Butch The Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PS CASE IN POINT .Look at Toofasts times and dyno numbers.He makes over 580 to the tires (which is approx 130 more than your friend is making with exhaust and filters)and runs 11.3 on Pilots.Please bring your car to the track.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Correction Toofst ran 11.3 on a brand new set of Hoosiers on a cool day at 65 degrees.
------------
Yellow 2001 GTS
Toofst air box
S & B Filters
Smooth Tubes
Balanger Headers
Balanger Exhaust
Roe Calibrator
11.9 E.T.@ 120M.P.H.
------------

VIPERESS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PS Butch please explain how Viperess FRIEND given the same mods as you have listed runs .8 faster.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

1badgts That would be .73 faster, if you were to round that number to .7 Remember the difference that tenths can make in drag racing
smile.gif

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine